Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Salt content of in store baked bread, any ideas? blood pressure problems.
  • langylad
    Free Member

I went to the docs recently and he told me my blood pressure was borderline high, and i should cut down on salt (amongst other things). Lunch normally consisted of soup and 4 slices of bread, which has enough salt in it to stomach pump an elephant.
    I have recently discovered Lidl tiger bread which is baked instore, and is yummy but there is no advice on how much salt it contains. Anyone have any ideas?

molgrips
    Free Member

Buy a breadmaker?

footflaps

Commercial bread normally has a very high sat content, you can taste it if you’re used to eating home made bread.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/shock-finding-on-bread-salt-content-2348012.html

scotroutes

I’d have thought most bought soups had a high salt content.

cp

if your soup is shop.bought, the salt content of that will be far far greater th the salt in bread.

PMK2060

Lidl will have a card they can give you detailing the salt content of their in-store bakery products

totalshell

cough.. first burst ballon. store baked bread is a very loose description.. accuracy would dictate .. store defrosted and heated..

having been in at the sharp end of an every little helps experience some years ago the salt content is measured by the handful per bucket of dough..

cut out all salt that you add, cut out processed foods.. on the other hand.. borderline BP.. pah forget it live fast east sensibly and i predict a long and fruitful retirement..

piemonster

Buy a breadmaker?

Plus one, or make it by hand.

sweaman2
    Free Member

cp + 1. I would think the soup is not helping either from a salt content perspective. I went through this a couple of years ago and was amazed at where salt appeared. Cereal was a prime offender; as was noodles.

I would suggest bread maker and home made soup as a starter.

bearnecessities

cut out processed foods

That.

Others to watch:

Soup
    Anything involving a stock cube
    Bread, no matter what race it is
    Ham

Considering your lunch, you unintentionally were consuming a massive amount!

piemonster

Make you own muesli too, tis a doddle.

TheFopster
    Free Member

+1 for breadmaker and home made soup. That’s my lunch at work tomorrow. Tastes better too…

langylad
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, i knew the plastic bread and soup had oodles of salt but wasn’t sure about the, hmm, ‘instore baked’ bread. Ive already cut the soup out, shall look at a bread maker.

midlifecrashes

You could take the doc’s advice with a pinch of salt?

MrNutt
    Free Member

buy Paul Hollywoods new book, then you can make your own and its bloody wonderful, breadmakers are for tigra drivers.

langylad
    Free Member

To be fair i am cutting out the salt so i can still drink a bottle of red a night 😀

mrmoofo

Normal bread is normally around 2% salt … can be as high as 2.5% and as low as around 1.6%. But unfortunately it is high salt!

nealglover
    Free Member

buy Paul Hollywoods new book, then you can make your own and its bloody wonderful, breadmakers are for tigra drivers.

He he, agreed 😀

250g plain wholemeal flour
    250g plain white flour
    1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    420ml buttermilk

Mix together, roll into a flattened ball, dust with a bit of wholemeal flour, bake for 35mins at 200 degrees.

Takes 45 mins total time. and 35 mins of that is sat with a cuppa waiting for it to bake.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Salt content of in store baked bread, any ideas? blood pressure problems.’ is closed to new replies.