Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Salsa's El Mariachi vs. Mamasita…
  • househusband

I built up an El Mar at the end of last year and have been riding it more and more of late; my first 29er and do like it… but it isn’t half heavy and I do wonder if that weight adds to a sluggish ride. My riding is firmly two-wheels-on-the-ground and nothing particularly arduous – just local woodland trails and singletrack. I’d like to try something that is lighter and hopefully feels faster.

I do like Salsa bikes and have been pondering the Mamasita – I did consider the Kinesis FF29 but it is more expensive and not as light as the Mamasite. All parts could go straight over from the El Mar to a Mamasita, except the bottom bracket.

Does anyone have both or has gone from one to the other and could offer some qualified comments..?

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’ll be getting mine tomorrow to replace my venerable scandal.If you like red you should be able to get the 2011 at a reasonable discount (18,20,22 only) as Ison still have some left.
    I will let you know how it rides about an hour after I’ve taken it out of the box!!

househusband

Would appreciate it, Rorschach! I know that the El Mar would probably be more forgiving for longer distances but I want something that feels lighter/faster.

qwerty
    Free Member

Somewhere an El Mar Ti is pining for you.

johnnystorm

Using a KCNC & Race Face (amongst others) do BBs that fill the space of a PF30 BB with a 24mm style one.

househusband

Using a KCNC & Race Face (amongst others) do BBs that fill the space of a PF30 BB with a 24mm style one.

Yup, I have my eye on the Praxis one – I think that’s the only item I’ll have to buy should I get a Mamasita frame.

AlasdairMc

What wheels/forks/tyres do you have on your El Mar? Mine has Hope Pro2s with Crests, eXotic fork and Rocket Rons tubeless – it feels and rides very fast. Want a shot of mine to see if it’s the build?

househusband

Cheers, Al. Got Reba forks and Arch EX’s on Pro2’s running tubeless Maxxis Ardent/Crossmark.

(I’m 90kg so I’m undoubtedly the main reason for it feeling heavy and sluggish…)

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

If you do sell the el mariachi, i could be interested depending on important things like colour 😉

scotroutes

HH : it’s worth trying out some light, rigid forks. That change made mine feel a whole lot different.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

HH. Have you considered the Santa Cruz HIghball or Tomac Flint? My Flint is very light and XC.

househusband

If you do sell the el mariachi, i could be interested depending on important things like colour

Black! Undecided as yet.

Have you considered the Santa Cruz HIghball or Tomac Flint? My Flint is very light and XC.

Not keen on the Highball, or SC’s in general – overpriced IMHO. Tomac Flint is obsolete isn’t it?

wilsation
    Free Member

My el mar is a large and weighs in at 26lbs, and that’s with rebas on, it’s under 25 with the rigid fork, it’s definitely not sluggish. However, if I was replacing the frame then my money would go to Santa Cruz. I sometimes worry about hammering those skinny tubes through the rocks. Also run a 120mm fork which they don’t recommend but it rides great.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Salsa's El Mariachi vs. Mamasita…’ is closed to new replies.