Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Salsa Warbird?
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Anyone got one? Thoughts?

Considering getting a frameset to rebuild my Fugio into, and have just had a demo of sorts at my nearest dealer (Keep Pedalling in Manchester). It was only a ’round the block’ type thing, so difficult getting a feel for what it actually rides like.

On the plus side, it fits, geometry is about what I’m after, takes 700C wheels of borderline acceptable tyre size (45mm), dropper friendly, nice and light. I like the bowed out seatstays.
    On the minus, I’d prefer bigger tyre clearance given the option, pressfit BB, my wonky pedalling means my heels only just clear the chainstays and I’m worried about wear on the carbon. Would kind of prefer a metal frame (this would be my first plastic bike). Quite a lot of money.

Other stuff I’ve been looking at – Ridley Kanzo Adventure – discounted because of the stupid fully internal through-the-bars-and-stem cable routing; Giant Revolt Advanced (Pro) – discounted – see warranty thread. Ribble Gravel Ti – need to try one. Possibly a bit cracky??

Thanks!

ampthill

The Sonder Camino has more tyre clearance and is much cheaper

trail_rat
    Free Member

Yeah but the Camino al is fugly.

And the Camino Ti as lovely as it is….isn’t a patch on a warbird looks wise.

But you pay for that look.

charliedontsurf

I have a first generation Ti Warbird. It’s great.

Keep Pedalling are good people to buy bikes from.

The older warbirds are limited to about 42mm, and you know what? Despite being almost 100kg I am happy on 42mm even though I would have spec’d wider if I had a choice. but 42mm is all good.

I really like that I could buy a salsa framebag specific to the frame.

scotroutes

Honestly? I’ve yet to see a Salsa that was worth its RRP – and I used to sell them!

ton

Honestly? I’ve yet to see a Salsa that was worth its RRP – and I used to sell them!

i kind of agree with that,and i own a dear one.

in a recent sale at PX i could have bought 3 x full Ti bikes, for the price of my fargo ti frame.
    how ??

trail_rat
    Free Member

I’ve yet to see a Salsa that was worth its RRP

Id agree with that . But since they stopped being ison it’s easy to find them discounted.

Infact we own two salsas (veya and mamasita – both my wife’s) and neither were bought at rrp.- infact three – once I get my new frame built ….cutthroat – also bought at some 800 quid off RRP from a shop.

I’d rather have one salsa than 3 on-ones – lyon equipment the current disty are much better to deal with than the computer says no situation at on-one.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Sonder Camino

I did have a good look at the ’22 Ti version in my local Alpkit store. I thought there was some absolutely hideous detailing and finishing on it – especially the cable routing. It gave every impression of being built to a budget, not a standard, so I’d dismissed it. I’ve just had another look at the Sonder website though, and it looks like its all been updated again with most of my dislikes solved. – although no frames in stock yet, and the price has gone up again (quel surprise). Still cheapish, but no longer bargain basement.

I’ve yet to see a Salsa that was worth its RRP

Cheaper than a SC Stigmata or most Ti… (not that that’s saying much)

it’s easy to find them discounted

Is it? Where, if you don’t mind saying? Keep Pedalling said there were 2 57.5 framesets in the country, so they’re either popular and fast sellers (which as I’ve never seen one out and about seems unlikely) or there rare as **** and therefore unlikely to be discounted. That said its the kind of thing I’d much rather buy from a proper shop and get some proper backup, than from a box stacker.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Have the same interest as the OP.
    Have a Vaya, which I do like a lot, just would like something a bit sprintier

trail_rat
    Free Member

I bought ours via our local bike shop who has a good relationship with Lyon so grabs clearance stock when it comes up. We have been fortunate with sizing.

Quite a few warbirds and cutthroats out and about locally but that’s probably due to that shop.

Never seen another mamasita mind.

trail_rat
    Free Member

For anyone that cares there’s. 58cm cutthroat on ex display at Lyon for 2100 just now.

And there’s. Full build 56 warbird asx full build for 3800 in firetrail

Daffy

The frame looks quite similar to a Carbonda CFR 696…not identical as it has two sets of mounts on the downtube and no brace on the seatstays, but similar and much less money and available in any colour/pattern you want.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

The Carbonda is quite different geometry – “square” for want of a better description. Seat tube and ETT are the same figures. The Salsa 57.5 ETT has a 52 seat tube, which is far more what I’m looking for. Reach and Stack on a Carbonda 58 would be in reason, but I’d do myself damage getting on it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.