Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Salsa Vaya / LHT…… any experiences?
  • stanley

I’ve got a Surly Cross-Check, had it a few years and really like it.
    However, I’m fancying something that has disc brake compatibility, can do a bit of off-road stuff, and can also be loaded up for a tour this Summer.

I know that a tourer won’t be the best thing off road, and that I don’t strictly need discs- but I want them! Hate that gritty, graunchy horribleness from rim brakes+muck!

I’d prefer something more road focussed… ie Vaya over a Fargo.

Any thoughts?

Wheels too? 29er Crests? To run road tyres >28mm plus the option of going bigger and knobblier?

ton

on my 2nd lht. very strong. very sturdy. tough enough for offroad, even carrying a 300lb+ pilot.

paul78
    Free Member

Just recently finished my Vaya .. built for a gravel road race later in the year but after first few rides it feels very capable …. disc brakes as you state are alot better than the listening to the noise of dirt grinding away on your rims .. will try and get a few longer multi day rides in on it soon … I’me Newcastle based if you wanted to throw a leg over it.

druidh
    Free Member

If I didn’t already have my Van Nicholas Amazon for the sort of stuff you’re considering, I’d have a Vaya in a heartbeat – I might even splash out on a Ti one.

The LHT is absolutely bomb-proof, but you might find it a bit sluggish/unwieldy for a lot of off-road riding.

stanley

Thanks Paul, I’m miles away though.
    The bike looks good- what wheels and brakes are you using?

I’ve never used cable operated discs- do you get any disc-pad rubbing?

druidh
    Free Member

stanley – Member
    I’ve never used cable operated discs- do you get any disc-pad rubbing?

Not if you set them up correctly. This is a lot easier with the BB7s, so I’d say not to try and save the few quid by getting the BB5s.

jimc101
    Free Member

Did 180km in the dales on my Vaya yesterday, and it’s a heavy bike going up hill.

Have it setup as a tourer with a compact 105 groupset / SRAM 11-32 cassette, and doing big hills it need the 32T.

On decsents it’s great, am using Shimano R505 brakes, but will be swapping these for R515’s as soon as they are out, for tires, using Schwalbe Marathon Dureme 37×700, they may be big, but they are very fast rolling (and should be for their cost).

Handsomedog
    Free Member

BigDummy of this parish has one. It’s a gorgeous bike, comfortable in CX mode or the road. Pretty laid back position, more akin to an mtb than a road bike.

Strada cycles in Bristol always have one if that’s any closer to you?

paul78
    Free Member

I’m using BB5 brakes and the wheels are Halo Aerowarrier 29er wheels … Tyres are Halo twin rails which at around £15 a go are really good value I thought.

You can get a little bit of disc rub but they are very easy to adjust on the go and as already said on the descents they are worth their weight for sure.

The Vaya is definately not the lightest thing around but its a very comfortable bike and can hold its own with a little extra effort 🙂

headfirst
    Free Member

However, I’m fancying something that has disc brake compatibility, can do a bit of off-road stuff, and can also be loaded up for a tour this Summer.

And for these exact reasons I am the proud owner of a Surly Disc Trucker. I’ve only had it two weeks but a 2 day ‘tester’ trip mainly on the Trans Pennine Trail* proves it’s more than up to the job! 😀

*TPT is mainly off-road but not at all ‘technical’, muddy in slippy in places last week, other bits metalled surfaces

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Soma Double Cross DC could be worth a look. Like a cross check with disc mounts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Vaya / LHT…… any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.