Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Salsa Spearfish – the ultimate 29er?
  • bonesetter
    Free Member

With DW on board for the rear suspension, uber short CS’s, sorted geo, 23.8 lb’s etc, is this Salsa the most sorted all round 29er?

rOcKeTdOg

Does it still have the awful BB whatever pressfit bottom bracket? If so, I’m out

khani
    Free Member

BB92 apparently, That put me off em as well..

BadlyWiredDog

Surely, writes Eduardo de Salsa Astroturfini – no relation – the Salsa Spearfish is the ultimate 29er. With its round wheels, rotating cranks and forks that move up and down in response to undulations under the wheels it re-writes the rules of cycling. Other manufacturers can only watch in envy as the Spearfish hurtles over the horizon utlilising its uniquely circular wheels to maximise speed and efficiency.

Is it the most sorted all-round 29er? Eduardo says: ‘Si!’ 😉

bedmaker

23.8lbs 😆

Toasty

“Most sorted all round 29er” is an 80mm travel xc frame?

Looks nice, it’s like a heavier Scott Spark with less travel and Dave Weagles million dollar name written on the seat stays.

khani
    Free Member

They’ve also decided you’re not allowed to run a triple as well.. Which is cobblers..

fasthaggis

BB92 apparently, That put me off em as well..

I am waiting to hear about some long term tests ( not just sitting in a shed )on bikes with these fitted.
    I wouldn’t trust anything with a push in BB ,but I will happily change my mind if people start to shout about how good they are. 😉

Toasty

Wouldn’t that require one to last a long time? 🙂

fasthaggis

I assumed they were push in fit and forget.

I am sure they will rival UN55s 🙂

khani
    Free Member

I’ve seen plenty of owner reviews where they lasted months, allegedly they make the bb area stiffer but having various bikes over the years where the bb area was plenty stiff enough it makes me think its easier and cheaper manufacturing costs rather than a better standard that is the reason they’ve been introduced..
    Also they’re much more dependant on precise manufacture to last properly, if they’ve been made slightly out of tolerance they eat bb’s and can’t be easily fixed, but you can face and retap a threaded bb if its not right relatively easily

bonesetter
    Free Member

What’s cobblers to not running a triple?

I’ve ran a single for years and can go up and along everything steep and road

khani
    Free Member

Well good for you, you’re my Aero… 😉 some of us lesser mortals still like triples..
    Or at least like to have the choice to..

Toasty

I’ve ran a single for years and can go up and along everything steep and road

Well if you can, it’s safe to assume everyone can. 1 out of 1, 100% out of your test sample agreed.

People use triples on 26″, 29ers require 10% more effort at the same ratio.

FuzzyWuzzy

Have a push-fit BB on my 2009 Zesty, on my third BB now – a press-fit BB wouldn’t concern me on a new bike although if it were badly machined and loose I’d want a replacement frame or would reject it.

fasthaggis

How much does it get used Fuzzy ?

BTW I am not being cheeky,just genuinely curious about how much abuse
    they can take .

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What a strange idea, a bike no one’s ridden, therefore it must be the best ever!

If it’s that good, whats wrong with a Trek Superfly 100?

And if the DW split pivot is such a game changer and the best idea ever, how come on the Trek rotates the seatstays clockwise when compressed and DW anti clockwise (look at the different geometries of the linkage), yet both claim it isolates the braking from the suspension? Surely the whole thing can’t be marketing BS can it?

steve_b77
    Free Member

Is it shiny?

martinh
    Free Member

80mm or rear travel because with the split pivot you don’t need 100mm – thats a good one

bonesetter
    Free Member

OK, perhaps what I should have asked was what folk thought of this new bike?

We know the Spearfish has been around for a bit and know what that’s like

We know Salsa has been making cool 29er stuff for a long time, so teaming up with Dave whatsisface can only be good, right?

BadlyWiredDog

Are you on commission? 😉

AlexSimon

thisisnotaspoon – Member

What a strange idea, a bike no one’s ridden, therefore it must be the best ever!

If it’s that good, whats wrong with a Trek Superfly 100?

And if the DW split pivot is such a game changer and the best idea ever, how come on the Trek rotates the seatstays clockwise when compressed and DW anti clockwise (look at the different geometries of the linkage), yet both claim it isolates the braking from the suspension? Surely the whole thing can’t be marketing BS can it?

I thought it was because the suspension and the disk rotor both have the same pivot point (the rear hub).

Toasty

Bigger fan of William Singlepivot’s work personally.

First page I went to:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/salsa-cycles-spearfish-and-horsethief-first-look-37717/

So, why choose Split Pivot over Weagle’s dw-link? In a word, cost.

The likes of Maestro offer much the same if you wanted that anyway. Found them a bit dead feeling personally, same with my Mojo :S

KZP894
    Free Member

How difficult is a split pivot system to maintain? they look really vulnerable. I liked the simplicity of the last design, no BB issues to date on mine.

P20

I’ve been looking at the horsethief. Initially put of by bb, but still may consider it, then find out I have to change my chain set as you can’t run bigger than a 38t double. It alls starts getting pricey when coming from a 26″ set up. It does look good though! 😈

cooie

I’ve been looking at the horsethief. Initially put of by bb, but still may consider it, then find out I have to change my chain set as you can’t run bigger than a 38t double. It alls starts getting pricey when coming from a 26″ set up. It does look good though!

Could wait a bit and see if they reduce the current non split-pivot, threaded bb shell, triple c/set frame, like they did with the ’12 model. Got one for a bargain £800 from CharlieTBM, and although I’ve only been able to ride it a handful of times, it is brilliant 🙂

ahwiles
    Free Member

P20 – Member

Initially put of by bb, but … you can’t run bigger than a 38t double…

don’t forget that a 29er wheel makes for ‘bigger’ gears compared with the same rings on a 26er, you sure you need* bigger than 38t?

P20

I already have 40/28 on the current 26″so I’d have to change it. Which is basically a new chainset

ahwiles
    Free Member

you’ll have to change something anyway, unless you want your gears 11% ‘bigger’…?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Spearfish – the ultimate 29er?’ is closed to new replies.