Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Salsa El Mariachi sizing help!
  • bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Anyone else around 5’11” (or a fraction under) on an El Mariachi? I’m right in between the medium (17″) and the large (19″) and rode both today back to back. While the large felt a bit better, the medium had been fitted with a shorter stem which made the bars feel a bit close, and i’d probably want a layback post on it. Going back to the large, the top tube did feel lengthy so I’d need a shorter stem. I was set on a large, and think it would be best for long days out, but am a little concerned it will be a bit too long for the fun stuff too.

On the medium I was about 1cm off the minimum seat post insertion mark. Here is the medium (I did drop the post about 1cm lower than in this photo)

And here’s the pair together.

monkeychild
    Free Member

By rights I should be on a small El Mar but I bought a M and it feels right. I reckon just go for the one that feels “right” but looking at the pics, large looks better.

gee
    Free Member

The stem on the 17 is rediculous. Even so, the 19 seems to suit better as long a you didn’t feel it was too long in the reach?

oxym0r0n

I’m 5’11.5 – that’s why I bought a nos 18″ – a shame they changed the sizing
    Which reach felt better?

Edit: I think the stem on the 19 looks long – running a 90mm on mine with 9deg flat bars. Maybe the 19 with a shorter stem??

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

large. im five 11 and z half and med is too small for an xc bike. Dont be a fashion victim with a short stem and layback post, ride it as its intended, 100-120mm stem, low/flat bars and a straight post. Leave the short stems to the enuro crowd.

eddie11
    Free Member

6′ large 70mm stem inline post

oxym0r0n

(I have an inline post 👿 )

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pleeeeease someone sell me their large El Mariachi frame.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member

Tim has one going very cheap…

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Not sure how this helps but I’m 5’9 & riding a 17 (M) and it feels perfect for me I can stay sat in it or throw it about

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Awesome, I will call him in the morning. 😀

ratherbeintobago

Not sure how this helps but I’m 5’9 & riding a 17 (M) and it feels perfect for me I can stay sat in it or throw it about

I’m 174cm and have been told an M is the right size (by Charlie of Bikemongering fame).

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

Thanks all, seems like the consensus is certainly with a large…

I’m about 180cm, so according to Salsa just on the border. Interestingly the Cotic Solaris is a very similar bike and their sizing puts me right in the middle of medium!

The large is pretty much identical sizing to my full sus 29er, and I guess that works fine, but a rigid singlespeed is a very different bike.

carbonfiend
    Free Member

I been out on mine couple of times & it’s so bloody fast it almost makes the trail come…. 😯

Andy

6’2″ here and ride a 2012 large which is a 20″ seat tube so no help on sizing. Short stem and wide bars is best I reckon. Mine set up with the salsa forks and it rides lovely 🙂

scotroutes

173cm and on a Medium.

khani
    Free Member

6ft, on a large.

johnnystorm

5′ 11″ and ride a Large Spearfish & Fargo. Had the use of a Medium El Mar and it was nice but needed to be the next size up.

The new SS looks lovely, especially if you had a thing for Raleigh Marauders BITD. 😉

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mcmoonter – Member
    Tim has one going very cheap…

Cheers Teetwosugars, the Sideways frame will be at the Towers of Moont tomorrow. 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Cheers Teetwosugars, the Sideways frame will be at the Towers of Moont tomorrow

Great Stuff,

Always happy to help… 8)

kcal

a punter (or moonter) and frame united, a warm glow indeed 🙂

oxym0r0n

I’m about 180cm, so according to Salsa just on the border. Interestingly the Cotic Solaris is a very similar bike and their sizing puts me right in the middle of medium!

Solaris is a much longer frame and feels quite different to ride

I have both (but 18″ El Mar) and run a shorter stem on the Solaris than the El M…

Proportions on 18″ with 90mm stem (5’11.5)

Untitled by oxym0r0n, on Flickr

Wouldn’t want to go any smaller…

steelfan
    Free Member

I’m just about to buy an el mariachi frame in large then I found this thread and now I’m wondering if I should go for the medium frame. I’m just over 5’10 with a 32 inside leg. I currently have a soul 17.5 with an ett of 594mm and an inbred 18 inch which has ett of 602mm.
    I run them both with thomson layback posts and 90mm stems. I was going to go for the large el mariachi 19 because of the short seatube on the medium 17inch and how much seatpost would be exposed. On the 19 I was planning to run it with an inline post but now I’m just totally confused as to which size to go for.
    Any ideas?

scotroutes

Based on my Medium I’d say you need a Large – but some on this thread might disagree.

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

so at 5ft 10, a large would be way too big for me?

scotroutes

It might be fine, it might be a smidgeon too big. I’d say you’re right on the borderline and it would come down to personal fit/taste/riding style.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Salsa El Mariachi sizing help!’ is closed to new replies.