Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Salsa Cycles new suspension design
  • STATO
    Free Member

Looks like salsa have moved to the DW split pivot!

scotroutes

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohhhhhhhhh,

Seems odd though that they’d pay DW for something that does essentialy the same job as the original design. Not heard/seen any issues with the rear trinagles.

johnnystorm

Looks interesting (as a spearfish owner). Not sure about the ugly cable guide on the side of the downtube and why no post-mount on the rear if they’re re-tooling?

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

I suppose IS tabs allow anything and they don’t want to leave anybody out!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IS tabs are easier to align on the frame maybe, and if they’re out you can just face them? And the people bothered about weight (racers) probably want a 140mm disk anyway, which means everyone else would need addapters regardless.

scotroutes

I love the simplicity of the old(current) design too. Spearfish is on my bike bucket list. I like the look of that anodized blue but maybe I’ll pick up a cheaper old version now 🙂

doof_doof
    Free Member

Why pay a DW licence when you can now use Horst since the patent has expired?

charliemort

I like – just like a Devinci

maybe allows shorter chainstays? Looks burlier than the old one to me

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

Seems odd though that they’d pay DW for something that does essentialy the same job as the original design

Trek tried that, and DW is suing them for infringement. And he’s suing Giant too I think, over Maestro copying DW Link.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Why pay a DW licence when you can now use Horst since the patent has expired?

Evidently the split pivit works better than horst, otherwise they wouldn’t be doing paying for it.

P20

Presumably because the tube doesn’t have to flex it can be made stiffer/lighter/stronger? Probably better under braking using the SP. Wonder if they are going the same way with the horsethief?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Seems odd though that they’d pay DW for something that does essentialy the same job as the original design

Trek tried that, and DW is suing them for infringement. And he’s suing Giant too I think, over Maestro copying DW Link.

I meant, they’ve gone from a single pivot they were prosumably not paying a licence for, to a single pivot they are.

Personaly I can’t see how any suspension design is patenable, they’re all variations on a very narrow theme. DW’s as bad as anyone, he’s tried to patent puting the pivot either side of the horst link to cover more bases.

charliemort

says its for both spearfish and horsethief

I sort of fancy something in the middle – a Horsefish or Spearthief

scotroutes

Do we know what travel the Spearfish will have this year?

STATO
    Free Member

Do we know what travel the Spearfish will have this year?

Still 80mm.

swavis

That would look good next to my Mukluk… 🙂

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m just pleased to hear the HL patent has expired. Might not be a marketing man’s wet dream but I still think it’s a bloody good design. Wonder if Turner might be tempted back to their old designs.

Unlikely I know but a man needs to have a dream.

Toasty

Surely it’s still a single pivot technically? A linkage actuated one.

STATO
    Free Member

Surely it’s still a single pivot technically?

Yes, but the upper stay will remain level when braking (due to the orientation of the upper link), meaning braking remains consistent throughout the travel. Pedal bob not a concern due to new shock tech, stiffness increased over typical horst link designs.

honourablegeorge

thisisnotaspoon – Member

I meant, they’ve gone from a single pivot they were prosumably not paying a licence for, to a single pivot they are.

The Split Pivot is sipposed to be a bit more than a single pivot – the pivot is meant to separate braking/pedalling forces. Maybe marketing guff, maybe not, but they make out that the pivot being concentric with the axle is key – that’s what the Trek lawsuit is all about (ABP)

c_klein87

looks really good, I do like the current design and they seem well priced compared to the extortionate prices of Niner and santa cruz etc, I wonder when it will breakcover officially, i’m guessing it won’t be available until late this year

chris-noble-mtb.blogspot.com

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Wonder if Turner might be tempted back to their old designs.

can’t see that happening as the feedback for the dw-link was so strong on the mtbr turner forum, which DT frequents.

slackalice
    Free Member

What’s the travel?

Please tell me it’s a 650 😉

Toasty

Yes, but the upper stay will remain level when braking (due to the orientation of the upper link), meaning braking remains consistent throughout the travel.

Ooh, I see. Sounds quite snazzy.

Interestingly sounds like the polar opposite of a Spearfish/Horsethief, where you’d get a massive spring rate curve as it has to fight against the flex stays.

Not sure how they can claim “Incredible pedaling efficiency”, unless they’re totally relying on shock technology. The pros/cons sounds very like a 4-bar surely?

The claimed weight is about the same as my Stumpy FSR 29er came in at. Will be interesting seeing how it does 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

Sorry to make a comment that doesn’t involve bi-lateral pivot actuation but that blue finish is lovely!

AlexSimon

Here’s a pic of the Horsethief:

khani
    Free Member

I’m just pleased to hear the HL patent has expired

Wonder if Turner might be tempted back to their old designs

The Horst link wasn’t the problem for Turner, Tony Ellsworth sued them over the ICT rocker link design which he’d managed to patent first, even though he wasn’t the first to use it..
    Turners four bar system was considerably less active than speshes FSR system..

ac282

How will the new spearfish compare with these?

P20

Bit more info HERE

tang
    Free Member

Lets hope the UK pricing stays competitive and not another £1600 full suss frame set.

charliemort

well they’ve gone up in the US – they have to pay a license fee

so I guess it will be up a few hundred quid

brakes
    Free Member

how much is the license fee?
    I’m sure it was like £30 per frame for Horst Link.

charliemort

well it would be nice if it’s up only £30 but I bet it won’t be!

AlexSimon

£30 at manufacturing = £120 at retail though

P20

I really like the sound of the horsethief. And then it’s got a 92mm bb. I’m not convinced by them in the slightest. Arse 🙁

rootes1

How will the new spearfish compare with these? Rubblefish pic

not sure and Trek are ditching the rubblefish design..

AlexSimon

Surely the Rumblefish has just morphed into the EX 29ers

frogstomp

Hope they have cheaper mech-hangers this time round. Just been looking for one for my Horsethief – £45!!!! 😯

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Cycles new suspension design’ is closed to new replies.