Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Salsa Cutthroat, or Warbird.
  • Wookster

Hello, does anyone have either of these? Just window shopping really but would like an idea of what they are like as a bridal way and easy trail basher I’m in the Lakes if it makes a difference.

Really like the look of the Warbird but the Cutthroat has caught my imagination and the bigger tyres I’m assuming I could put a smaller 45-47 tyre on it for faster stuff ie Grinduro or Dirty reaver, then a bigger MTB type tyre for more adventurous less rapid riding cheers!

winston
    Free Member

Cutthroat V2 has massive tyre clearance. I’m not sure how useful that would be, as for me the ideal drop bar gravel bike has up to 45c. Over that and I’m on a mtb as the trails are more fun with flat bars and suspension. I understand why salsa designed it that way for the TD but thats not the type of riding most people do in the UK.

I love salsa bikes (I have a Mukluk) and my money would be on the Warbird.

charliemort

I have a Cutthroat with 2 sets of wheels -one set with 40mm Schwalbe G-One Allrounds and another set with 2.25 inch Allrounds. Can’t tell much difference in speed between the 2 sets but bigger ones much better off road . I really only use the narrower ones if I’m mainly winter road riding

my wife has a Warbird and tbh be ride together happily enough – just I can give it more berries on the rougher off road bits

latest Warbird takes a fatter 650B tyre which may be of interest

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    molgrips
    Free Member

I’m not sure how useful that would be, as for me the ideal drop bar gravel bike has up to 45c.

I would. My Salsa has 2.3s on which are perfect for South Wales as even the mountain top jeep tracks are rocky, so I’m a fan of large tyres.

fudge9202
    Free Member

I’ve a 2017 Salsa Vaya and it will run easily with mud room 700cx50 and in 650b I can run 2.1’s with mud room. And a lot cheaper that a cutthroat and I’ve never felt underbiked even on local singletrack

Wookster

Thanks all I’ll have a look and a think. 42’s are the smallest recommended tyre for the Cutthroat, I’ll check out the Vaya too!! 👍

DavidB
    Free Member

I have a Cutthroat bought it for the Tour Divide and absolutely the perfect bike for it. Hardly ride it on UK trails as it is designed for drops and as others say a mtb would be the better option.

MarkE25

I have a cutthroat and have ridden it with 2.4” mtb tyres and 40c nanos. It rides well with both and it is nice to have the choice. I prefer an mtb for rougher terrain so have largely kept it in 40c mode of late. Did the dirty reiver on fast rolling 29×2.3 tyres lst year and it was great.

Wookster

Good to know thanks Mark! I really fancy a go at the Reiver and it was for stuff like that I was thinking of the smaller tyres.

David, did you do the Divide???

supernova

What fast rolling 29 x 2.3 tyres did you use?

Wookster

Something like a Maxxis Ikon maybe?

molgrips
    Free Member

Racing Ralphs are just about the fastest off-road tyre around according to https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/.

DavidB
    Free Member

David, did you do the Divide???

I did and the Cutthroat was perfecto

howarthp

Here’s my 2019 Warbird

It’s light at 7.9kg and super comfortable. Have not yet tried it with big tyres

Wookster

awesome David!!!

That’s a stunner howarthp!

wind-bag
    Free Member

Never tried a Warbird, but this is my Cutthroat, it’s no one trick pony, fitted with a pair of 100mm travel SID’s.

[/url]

Wookster

Oh wow that’s a stunner mate!!!! 😍😍

slowboydickie

I had a V1 but sold it because of fit. If I could get an XXL with higher stack and slightly longer cockpit I would. Very versatile. It was the bike I’d always take when going somewhere not specifically set up for MTB because it did everything within reason.

Wookster

Slowboydickie, was that a V1 Cutthroat?

abingham

Would a Fargo be something to add into the mix? Can be picked up for cheaper (especially used) and is pretty similar to the Cutthroat aside from the frame material IIRC.

Wookster

Not a bad shout but I’ve discounted it for being too far to the MTB side of the spectrum. Looking at it I’m kind of looking for a Warbird plus or a Cutthroat minus I think! I wonder if the Warbird tyre clearance will be a bit too small for what I want, but the Cutthroat might be too big…..

MarkE25

I used a pair of thunderburts. I agree that racing ralphs are also great though. Might well use one on the front along with a thunderburt in the rear. Will probably either use this combo or Nano 40s again on this year’s reiver.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Salsa Cutthroat, or Warbird.’ is closed to new replies.