Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Salsa anything cage/myti mug?
  • craig5

Ok, I’m thinking of getting a salsa anything cage to carry cooking kit on my down tube. The plan is to carry my gas canister, stove etc in the myti mug and stick it in a bottle cage thing. Not sure if the salsa anything cage is to big, normal cages look to small. Advice needed.

paul78
    Free Member

Interesting idea … I went down a slightly different road with my MyTi mug and some custom Alpkit stem cells …

RestlessNative
    Free Member

They fit just right in a Monkii cage

An alpkit 1l drybag is just the right size to fit then in too.

I’m not actually using these on my forks now as wussed out and got bouncy back. Might try one on the downtube actually though not much room on mine with partial frame bag.

craig5

Ok, so just had a look at the monkii cage on the web, have you attached it directly to the forks? The review I’ve just read said the cleat/ qr fasteners come undone on roughy terrain?

vorlich
    Free Member

I don’t have myti mug, but I can measure my anything cage and post back this evening. FWIW, I can fit my TrailStar into the Anything cage – less metal on metal contact/rattling, etc.

EDIT: I suspect it’s too tall, but there’s nothing to stop you sticking the mug and other assorted bits into a small sack and strapping that on. I’ll post up later.

craig5

Vorlich, is a trailstar a stove? I plan to pack a a bit of felt or other material inside the mug to prevent rattling. In fact I don’t really have a plan anymore (stove/pot/mug/type). I have given up trying to make a meths burner, so will probably use gas. My only definitive plan is to carry my cooking kit on the downtube using the bottle bosses. I don’t want to carry cooking kit in a small pack, can’t get it in a seat pack (due to reverb). And the bars will have sleeping bag/ down jacket on. So basically I need a suggestion for a mug that will carry a gas canister/stove and fit in a bottle cage type arrangement,

vorlich
    Free Member

Nope my trailStar is a tarp. Compact, but bigger than a mug. I have a MSR Titan kettle, (short and stout :D) – I expect it would fit into the cage more snugly than a mug. I’ll stick some photos up later for you.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

The Mytimug will fit in an Anything cage but the cage is actually a bit big for it. The Monkii cage is a much better fit … if you buy the ‘V’ style cage you’ll have zero issues with it coming loose.

In fact I don’t really have a plan anymore (stove/pot/mug/type). I have given up trying to make a meths burner, so will probably use gas.

The lightest, most packable set up would be a bear Bones 8g stove and an Alpkit Myticup … that should give you a good basis for a sub 100g cooking set-up. The Myticup will also fit into a Monkii cage okay.

jameso

I’d put one where Paul78 has rather than on a fork based on how rattly a mug+lid and content can be : ) Mine goes in my framebag with something jammed on top.
    And they do work very well with the bearbones meths stoves. Since using one I’ve canned my myog cokecan stove that has done well on a number of trips.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Ok, so just had a look at the monkii cage on the web, have you attached it directly to the forks? The review I’ve just read said the cleat/ qr fasteners come undone on roughy terrain?

Those forks have bottle bosses so not using the clip thing. Fit the cleat with threadlock same as you would a bottle cagee, no problems.

As Stu says a V cage which requires a slight pull up then twist to release is the most secure one. I never lost anything attached to my forks with them, also carried fuel bottle and sleeping mat in them.

vorlich
    Free Member

OK, whilst we’re on the subject of fork mounting, I’ve found this perfectly robust, jameso may recognise the fork:

and with the trailstar [700g IIRC]:

vorlich
    Free Member

Right. Some not entirely relevant photos. Might give you a better idea though.

The big one is my MSR Titan (100mm height, about 120 dia) and the mug is a Tibetan 450, which is the same size a ‘normal’ household mug. I know the Myti mug is taller slightly, but I’d suggest a small stuff sac or something with some other items in too, if you’re dead set on this. I’d say a Jetboil sized cylinder would fit the AC quite well, not that I’m suggesting one of those.

I know the first gen cages were apparently fragile enough to Salsa to revise the design, I reckon mine has lasted this long as it was holding the TrailStar, which is light and non rattly.

craig5

Cheers for the words of wisdom, the any thing cage is massive. Monkii type cage it is then. I don’t have much space inside the frame ( specialized pitch), so I will have a look at the bearbones mechs stoves. Any pointers on meths volume required to boil a mystic mug (approx, I know there is many variables to consider) and best places to source wind shield & plastic meths container?

composite
    Free Member

I made my own windshield cost me 50p. Silver foil serving platter. Fold one edge up to give a straight edge for it to stand on and use a rolling pin the flatten the crease. Then fold into 4.

Not just a wind shield but also reflects the heat back onto the pot.

It will slide into any of you kit bags and bend to the shape of it so it basically takes up no space. The foil is pretty robust and will take a lot of folding and unfolding. When it breaks make another one for another 50p. 🙂

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Any pointers on meths volume required to boil a mystic mug (approx, I know there is many variables to consider) and best places to source wind shield & plastic meths container?

Depends on the stove but 15ml – 20ml should boil a 450ml mug.

Bear Bones stoves all come with a fuel bottle. As Composite says, a foil platter will suffice but will become brittle pretty quickly. The best stuff I’ve found is .3mm thick, it can be cut, folded and bent but it’s very robust and will pretty much last forever … I have stocks 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Without spending a week re-reading the bivi thread, is there a consensus on which coke can stove is ‘best’, or should I just buy a bearbones one?

Drunk a multipack of e-number laden fizzy pop last week, and fancy an evening faffing.

jameso

I used the top and bottom 35mm or so of a coke can pressed together with the can-strip inner wall design rather than the penny type. Easy to make. Works well enough.

drain

Another vote for the monkii V cage option here – they’ve been ideal for carrying cooking setups as well as water, and not a sign of working loose. Great piece of kit.

craig5

That’s it pressed the button on a bear bones meths stove, monkii cage, terra nova tarp, myti mug, alpkit gourdon pack and a few dry bags. Just need a few bits of clothing, and I’m set. First mini trip next weekend can’t wait. Just need to decide where to go. Thank for the advice everybody. I will will report back how we got on.

rOcKeTdOg

Beerbabe does an anything cage bag which might protect your stuff
    http://beerbabe.co.uk/ourshop/prod_3213865-Anything-Cage-Bag.html

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Beerbabe does an anything cage bag which might protect your stuff

£35?? 😯

Think I’ll stick with a DryBag..

rOcKeTdOg

Think I’ll stick with a DryBag..

From what I’ve experienced, I’m sure that’s a relief to any potential vendor

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Eh? ❓

rOcKeTdOg

Eh?

Selective memory too? Why am I not surprised?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Eh?

Selective memory too? Why am I not surprised?

Of course!!

How could I forget.

You being a dick… and flouncing all over the place.Slagging the whole world off on Twitter, then claiminmg your account was hacked?

All over a chainset.

Yeah I remember now…

Oh, and apologies to the OP..

eviljoe
    Free Member

Anyone tried using a pair of anywhere cages on the lowers of suspension forks? Any joy, or does it make handling a bit odd?

@ teetosugars @ rocketdog -what size handbag fits in an anything cage? 😆

scotroutes

ojom’s mojo

eviljoe
    Free Member

Cheers Scotroutes ! Any recommendations on size/ brand of dry bag? 8ltr? 13?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Salsa anything cage/myti mug?’ is closed to new replies.