Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Salsa 2017
  • pigyn
    Free Member

Some of these look fun:

http://salsacycles.com/culture/presenting_our_updated_line

Perhaps Raleigh will actually bother to bring them in this year.

matt_outandabout

Linky no worky.

scotroutes

I find the range really confusing, too many variations in what are quite small niches. Prices will likely be sky-high too given this year’s plus the 10% increase just announced by Raleigh.

jmatlock
    Free Member

The only one I really like there is the Pony Rustler.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Woodsmoke looks like a Trek Stache has had an accident.

ratherbeintobago

Not sure why they’ve gone for aluminium rather than steel for the El Mar replacement.

core

Very confusing line up, no Mariachi (well steel hardtail), seems an own goal, moving away from what they’re probably best known for, too many similar bikes and choice of frame materials, most look like they’ve had something dropped on them.

sillyoldman

Woodsmoke is bowfin’!
    BB looks really tall in 29+ format, and WTF is with that down tube shape?

monkeychild
    Free Member

Has the 2nd price of El Mariachis now gone up? 😆

pigyn
    Free Member

The link works if you click it more, I think they were a bit overloaded.

Plus bikes don’t need to be steel, lighter weight beats compliance if you have 3″ tyres.

Don’t think I ever even saw 2016 RRPs Scotroutes…

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Has anyone heard about Surly’s lineup? I heard they were bringing out 4 new bikes but the only thing I’ve seen so far is the updated Karate monkey? And I hope the Salsa RRPs go back to what they were, it’s was £450ish for a fargo frameset, but this year it was almost £800 I think?

ratherbeintobago

And I hope the Salsa RRPs go back to what they were, it’s was £450ish for a fargo frameset, but this year it was almost £800 I think?

Given that the importer has just stuck the prices up by 10%…

(though wasn’t the previous price rise that partly because the Frago comes as F&F and they switched from a steel to a carbon fork?

Plus bikes don’t need to be steel, lighter weight beats compliance if you have 3″ tyres.

Yes, but steel is real.

Clink

I like Salsa but I found last years paint schemes weird (would stop me buying a frame) and this years new frames just look plain ugly. What are they doing?!?

ratherbeintobago

What are they doing?!?

Dunno; bloke who oversaw a lot of their designs has jumped ship to set up Advocate Cycles which may explain a lot; the Hayduke seems to be an El Mar with slightly more modern geometry and a dropper-sized seat tube. Does anyone bring them in?

(Edit – have just looked at the geo charts; more or less exactly the same except the Hayduke has a 68.5 head angle instead of 71, a 10mm longer reach, a 51 instead of 45 offset fork and a slightly longer head tube, and that’s about it).

zippykona

Is there any reason they don’t elevate the non drive chain stay?
    It looks totally wrong otherwise.

Del

timberjack looks great.

orangeman5
    Free Member

I’m with you Clink, changed days… 🙁

pigyn
    Free Member

I think they *mostly* look pretty good, would take any of these over the heavy steel of old..

cozz
    Free Member

bear grease, and mukluk, but no blackborrow

scud
    Free Member

I love Salsa in that i have a Fargo and have had a Mukluk, but i think they are pricing themselves out now, getting to the point where the frames simply aren’t worth what is being charged and bearing in mind they are mostly sold by small independent bike shops, then it is going to hit them i guess.

Doesn’t help that the new Mukluk looks like it has been ridden into the back of a truck, and the Woodsmoke looks like the truck then drove into rear of it!

Trouble is that Specialized and Trek are catching on to soe of these “niche” ideas too and will be competitively priced.

Del

i only looked at the timberjack price – $400 frame only. doesn’t seem too steep? chameleon frame is 1.5 times that…

NormalMan

officerfriendly – Member
    Has anyone heard about Surly’s lineup?

A bit on the updated Troll and Crosscheck here:

http://bicycletimesmag.com/surly-updates-the-cross-check-troll/

franki
    Free Member

Love the Warbird! 😀

noltae
    Free Member

Just makes inbreds seem that more awesome value for money ..

GregMay
    Free Member

…and bearing in mind they are mostly sold by small independent bike shops, then it is going to hit them i guess.

Like REI in the US…..yeah, small independent shops.

I think you’re confusing a company who cares about what happens in the smaller UK market and the size of QBPs market share in North America.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Salsa 2017’ is closed to new replies.