Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)
  • Salmond's green energy future for Scotland dream gets a bashing…
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Antienglishness on here? Any examples?

There is no doubt it still exists in Scotland and that for some it may be a large part of their nationalism.

However I have seen the debate move on to a much more positive one that is about Scotland not England

mcboo
    Free Member

Fairy-muff…..maybe everyone at home has chilled out and grown up a bit. I love Scotland.

Anyway

TJ

WHERE’S MY APOLOGY!

trailmonkey

Antienglishness on here? Any examples?

😆

go look at the wrc thread

none so blind…………..

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I am not anti English – have you heard my accent?. 🙂

so lets see an example of anti englishness predjudice from me then.

druidh
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    > In the 70s I would have agreed with you – anti englishness ran
    > large in Scotland. Now its different IME
    well there’s never any shortage of it on here. there’s one or two regular contributors. maybe they’re just stuck in the 70s.

I’m struggling to recall any anti-English comments on here. It’s one of the things that makes my blood boil – and one of the reasons I’d prefer independence. Jim Sillars once used the phrase “90 minute nationalists” referring to those who would whinge and complain about English “rule” but were unwilling to vote to change the situation.

clubber
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I am not anti English – have you heard my accent?.

Ah but you’re a Silicone Scot – none so rabid as the converted… 😉

druidh
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member
    > Antienglishness on here? Any examples?

go look at the wrc threadHmmm. Maybe sport is a special case 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

None that I saw on the Rugby world cup thread. Any examples?

trailmonkey

so lets see an example of anti englishness predjudice from me then.

like i said go back and look at the rwc thread. littered with stereotypical arrogant english style comments. plenty from you.

be happy to replace ‘arrogant english ‘ with ‘thieving travellers’ would you ?

thought not.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lets see one then trailmonkey.

I am not anti english, I did not see any anti englishness on that thread although there was lots of accusations of such from one or two people.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    I did not see any anti englishness on that thread although there was lots of accusations of such from one or two people.

Plenty of national stereotyping on the WRC thread TJ, and very little of it complementary to the English nation.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

examples? From Scots?

trailmonkey

well here’s one of yours from the wrc thread

Maxraqy – its the arrogance that leads them to believe they can behave like this

tbh i was spoilt for choice. stereotypical crap all over the place.

like i said above would you replace ‘arrogant english ‘ with ‘thieving travellers’ ? nope. same stereotyping different target.

that thread was quite an unpleasant place to be for english people

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So how is that anti English prejudice than?

IIRC the context it was about the bad behaviour of the England players and IMO its because they are arrogant that they behaved as they did.

What we need to see is negative sterotyping on grounds that they are English. Thats not an example of such as its about a specific small group of people in a specific situation. Its not taking an asssumption and generalising from it.

Edit

Its the difference between saying “all travellers are thieves” and saying – “these thieves are all travellers”.

The first is negative sterotyping, the second is factual

BruceWee

I think we can separate sport from real life. I ‘hate’ the English (and the Welsh for that matter) when it comes to internationals but then I also ‘hate’ Edinburgh when the 1872 cup comes around.

The thing I love about sport is that it gives you an opportunity to embrace you tribal instincts without it impacting on the real world.

So yes, I’m sure there was a lot of anti-English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, French, etc sentiment on that thread but I also don’t think it had anything to do with how you actually view an entire nation.

trailmonkey

oh brother, edinburgh defence sub clause 1a – ‘you’re taking it out of context’

tap dance around it all you like, it’s there for everyone to see.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trailmonkey

Indeed it is out there for all to see as a simple statement of fact and an opinion – there is no prejudice in that at all.

If thats the best you can find then you have no case at all.

Where is the negative sterotyping on grounds of nationality?

Edit – if I had said ” like all english they are arrogant” you would have a case – but I did not.

You can call me anti english all you like but yo need to back it up with something rather better than that – all that shows is that you do not understand what prejudice is and that your argument is tenuous to say the least

BruceWee

It would probably strengthen your case if you can find an example of anti-English statements that isn’t on one of the sports threads

imnotverygood

In the 70s I would have agreed with you – anti englishness ran large in Scotland

Ever been to a Calcutta Cup match at murrayfield? Do you seriously think all those people belting out ‘Flower of Scotalnd’ were just doing it out of support for the team. Doesn’t sound the same when the Scots are playing Wales.

BruceWee

Do you seriously think all those people belting out ‘Flower of Scotalnd’ were just doing it out of support for the team

We’re just responding to God Save the Queen

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
    May by thy mighty aid,
    Victory bring.
    May he sedition hush,
    and like a torrent rush,
    Rebellious Scots to crush,
    God save the King.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

BruceWee – Member

It would probably strengthen your case if you can find an example of anti-English statement

fixed it for you 🙂

richmtb

I think Scottish anti-English sentiment is widely overstated these days. It pretty much confined to sporting events, and even then its mainly sports where the Scots and English have a historical rivalry (eg Football and Rugby). And anti-English sentiment in sport is hardly a uniquely Scottish feature – just ask the Welsh!

Scottish Independance is pro Scotland not anti England i’m not sure what the results of a referendum would be but I’m pretty sure Dave, Gideon and chums aren’t doing the case for staying in the union any favours

imnotverygood

We’re just responding to God Save the Queen

Well. That verse is never sung, most English people don’t even know it exists. It was written several hundred years ago about a contemporary event, not thirty odd years ago about events in the distant past.
    b: I’ve always read it as being about crushing a particular selection of Scots who are rebelling. If you wiki it you’ll see that verse was written as specifically anti-jacobite, not anti-scots. Which if you look at the history of the Jacobite rebellion and the number of Scots on both sides at Culloden is probably an accurate way of looking at it.

trailmonkey

Where is the negative sterotyping on grounds of nationality?

are you denying that part of the anti english sentiment is based upon a supposed english arrogance ?

yet you’ve applied it to the english representatives in the competition by pure coincidence ? 😆

do you want me to find other stuff that you’ve put on here regarding little englanders as a negative stereotype ? made even worse because you’ve used it in the misappropriated form to mean daily mailer.

see the trouble is tj, you often post really positive stuff on here regarding misogyny and prejudice then totally undermine the high ground that you’re standing on with all this stuff.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

trailmonkey – yes I completely deny any anti English sentiment in that post. Its a comment on the arrogant behaviour of the English team. it does not use a stereotype and generalise from there.

Point to the anti English sentiment there. there is none
    Point the stereotyping – there is none

You will not find any anti English prejudice from me because I don’t have any.

You seem to lack the understanding of what prejudice is. I do not use stereotypes negatively and you will not find a single post of mine where I have.

I do not use “little Englanders” as a stereotype – I use it as a specific comment on specific people attitudes.

As i said before there is a big differnce between ” all English are arrogant” – that would be negative stereotyping and “these englishmen are arrogant” an opinion / comment on their behaviour.

Now please finds something where I have shown any anti english prejudice.

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Now please finds something where I have shown any anti english prejudice.

Our country not even worthy of an upper case letter !!!!!
    I find that rather insulting 🙄

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Oh ffs, another thread turning into a “what has TJ said in the past” argument. Cant you debate the issue properly?

trailmonkey

I do not use “little Englanders” as a stereotype – I use it as a specific comment on specific people attitudes.

😆

but ‘little englandersis a stereotype. it has no meaning otherwise.

unless of course you’re talking about small people from england and using englander because you’re unaware that the correct term is english 😕

oh dear.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Lols at hilldodger 🙂

Trailmonkey.

have a ponder about this.

As i said before there is a big differnce between ” all English are arrogant” – that would be negative stereotyping and “these englishmen are arrogant” an opinion / comment on their behaviour.

bigjim

Oof more bad news for the SNP from a more informed group this time:

http://www.imeche.org/Libraries/2011_Press_Releases/IMechE_Scottish_Energy_Report.sflb.ashx

If anyone is interested in the original topic!

hilldodger
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Lols at hilldodger

LOLs back and blows kiss 😳

seosamh77
    Free Member

oh dear, *edit – there was no need for that – sorry*

everyday’s a school day

self determination for the nations of europe was one of the few of wilsons’ 14 points that actually made it to the t of v.If the republic got independence because of the t of v, then why did the tan war continue for another 2 years after the t of v was signed?

Also, It’s not as if everything was rosy in scotland in 1919, the british government sent tanks into george square to quell what it thought may well be the start of a bolshevik rising. So while scots may not have been clamouring for independence they were far from content, and who knows what would have happened if the army never got sent in..

Regardless, I’ve no idea what 1919 has to do with peoples attitudes in 2011, the world was a very different place 92 years ago..

IanMunro
    Free Member

I take it you also use “Thick Micks”, to describe unenlightened people?
    Obviously not as a stereotype (because that would be bad), but just a comment on specific people’s attitudes.

BruceWee

So while scots may not have been clamouring for independence they were far from content, and who knows what would have happened if the army never got sent in..

I may still have some respect for the British Government?

If it gets to the point where you have to send tanks against your own people you should probably realise that you have no right to govern them.

Incidentally, 1919 in Glasgow was a demand by the workers that the working week be reduced from 57 hours to 40 hours. Just to be clear, this was the workers demanding that they have less work (with the reduction in wages) so that those returning from the war would have a greater chance of employment.

Also, look at the Upper Clyde Shipbuilders Work In protest where the workers chose to complete the orders on ships to show the viability and to prove they weren’t work shy, as the Government was trying to paint them.

Where I’m going with this is that there is and always has been a different attitude to industrial work and unions in Scotland than there is in the UK as a whole. The reason I want independence is because I want to see an economy based on industry rather than an economic centre in London. If that’s completely the wrong way to go then fine, our economy will go down the toilet, we can come to England for bailouts and you can tell us to go **** ourselves and that you told us so all along. But at least if we do fail, which I don’t believe we will, we’ll be doing it on our own terms.

zokes
    Free Member

But at least if we do fail, which I don’t believe we will, we’ll be doing it on our own terms.

Have you seen any news stories relating to Greece recently? 🙄

BruceWee

Good point well made, let’s try not to do that.

Hopefully we can find something other than corruption and backhanders to base our economy on.

zokes
    Free Member

Hopefully we can find something other than corruption and backhanders to base our economy on.

Well, tourism features pretty highly in both the Scots and the Greek economy…

BruceWee

Greece Tourism: 15% of GDP and 16.5% of total employment

Scottish Tourism: 5% of GDP and 7.5% of total employment

English Tourism: 8.6% of GDP and 4% of total employment

From Wikipedia

TooTall
    Free Member

bigjim – I saw that too. I was prepared to say that the original report might have a bias and agendas, but when someone like the I Mech E wades in, I pay a little more attention.

So should those oh-so-persecuted Scots.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 162 total)

The topic ‘Salmond's green energy future for Scotland dream gets a bashing…’ is closed to new replies.