Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Salisbury Plain Red Flags
  • 40mpg

Thinking of having a ride on the Plain on Saturday, as I’ve go to drop the missus off in Salisbury very early then pick her up mid afternoon.

I’ve planned a route up to Devizes and back using bridleways, but they go through various red flag / danger areas.

A bit of googling gave me the number for defence estates voicemail recording of access times, but it’s impossible  to follow unless you know all the local area names (and I’ll cross quite  few!).

Is this info available online in an easy to follow format anywhere?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

This might help – https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/salisbury-plain-training-area-spta-firing-times

Happy to help correlate your route with any firing, you have only to ask.

As a guide, however, the are to the West of the river tends to be MUCH easier for access than the Larkhill side. Cross the river at Enford (pint at The Swan en route) then skirt the edge of the danger area, nice views from the ridge.

c_klein87

i think there is a perimeter path map that will show you which bits are allowed, i never stray past red flags unless its a bank holiday, plus its not hugely exciting,

there is a gravel/chalky loop which may be more suitable?  https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26892569

aP
    Free Member

I didn’t think the Modern British Army worked at weekends.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

The Reserves may well there are weekends.

cinnamon_girl

Helpful link from the Cap’n and here is what you need for Saturday:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/737014/20180830-SPTA_Firing_Times_Sep_2018.csv/preview

So Larkhill/Westdown will be open so you can ride N to S on the gravel track that cuts through the middle.   This means you can start at Larkhill for example and head to Redhorn Hill.

Personally I’d avoid going anywhere near Devizes due to the awful traffic.  You can park at Redhorn Hill, Larkhill, or Netheravon for example.

Imber Range Perimeter Path is open all the time, you can do a huge loop incorporating that.

Shout out for any specifics.

40mpg

Cheers Flashy. According to that they are only using Imber which is well West of where ill be.

I’m basically going Salisbury – Amesbury – Larkhill – Woodborough then West towards Devizes and back via Urchfont , Stonehenge then loop west out to the Langfords and back into Salisbury.

Should see a bit of Plain and a few hills 😁

40mpg

Thanks CG all off road so only traffic may be green! Grew up riding trailbikes on the plain but havent been up that way for years so hoping to reognise a few bits!

cinnamon_girl

You’re welcome and that sounds a fair old loop although on some familiar tracks!  If you’re stopping for refreshments then be aware that the garden centre in Woodborough is no longer bike friendly but believe the cafe in Honey Street is.

Have fun!

40mpg

Why what did you do at the garden centre? 😉

cinnamon_girl

Ha, never actually been there with a bike!  It was taken over and had a refurb although there is another cafe in that complex where you can sit out with your bike.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury Plain Red Flags’ is closed to new replies.