Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)
  • Salisbury area STW ride Sunday 20th June
  • RichPenny
    Free Member

Planning a forum ride around Salisbury for the 20th of June. Distance likely to be around 30 miles with a couple of linking road sections. The highest ridges around are about 200m, so this isn't a gnarfest, just a nice day pootling about the countryside. Total climbing likely to be about 750m (rough guess). I should have enough guides, but any extra local knowledge is a good thing.

Current thoughts are for a pub stop at 10 miles, another at 20 miles and a bit of cake eating in the Cathedral Close 🙂 That's going to mean a long day so bear that in mind. Either of the pub stops can be cut out, but no-one will convince me that cake isn't essential…

The ride will include a significant amount of cheeky trails and a slightly marginal jump spot. I fully understand that some people don't approve of these things so thought it best to warn you all first, as I can't do any easy diversions for those who don't approve.

Cheers,

Rich

beaker

I'd be well up for this if it was another weekend….. I'll be at Afan instead. Another time perhaps??

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I will provisionally say yes.
    It's my wedding anniversary on the 18th so need to work on the SO. All depends on what we are doing for it.

scu98rkr
    Free Member

is nt it Mountain Mayhem that weekend ?

rOcKeTdOg

Mountain mayhem weekend Isn't it?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sweet, that'll keep all the shaven legged freaks away 🙂 Seriously, could do it on the 27th if there's enough interest, but the 20th does work better for me.

lexiekay
    Free Member

i'd like to come, but its my birthday on the 20th, and i may not be feeling too good as having a party the night before…

RichPenny
    Free Member

Ah well, it's been ages since I've ridden solo 😕 Is the 27th better for most people?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

I'd join you on the 20th, 27th is my 30th Birthday weekend so not great for me.

I might come up on the train (from Yeovil) to make it a bit different (and have a pint at each stop and not worry about driving).

Cheers

Lee
    (email in profile if you want to email details)

lexiekay
    Free Member

lots of 30th birthdays around that time! i'll come on the 20th if i can get up on time, could also probably make the week after

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Date noted. Not sure what my diary looks like, but just in case….! Start point?

househusband

As someone that lived in Salisbury on and off for 25yrs (permanently leaving for Scotland 10yrs ago) I'd love to join this ride as I never once rode anywhere in the area with anyone else – and anyone knowledgeable!

Alas, I'll be 400miles away.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Pencilled it. All being well with my calendar, I'd love to join in.

cinnamon_girl

Rich – have just e-mailed you.

frenchie
    Free Member

Any of you going on the ride might like to take in a trip to Warminster( some great routes from Salisbury along the great road to Warminster) where on Sunday 20th we are staging the Warminsterwobble, festival of cycling. Included is a mountain bike time trial challenge with prizes for the fastest time, plus lots of other cycle related events.
    See http://www.warminsterwobble.co.uk for details.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Sounds good to me. The 'boss' hasn't got anything on the calender so should be ok. I'll be able to bore you to tears by reading you my project on the building of the cathedral i did when at college there 23 years ago.

Boondoggler
    Free Member

Mr Penny Sir,

Being a local I'll likely be there. This time alot fitter than my lame Purbeck attempt.

(PS – "Get Out!")

RichPenny
    Free Member

Couple of teaser photos:

20th still looking favourite, I'm liking the idea of a birthday ride, I could make a cake 🙂 Flashie, start point will be in Wilton, about 3 miles west of Salisbury. Nice big out of the way car-park which is free. The fact that it's also 100m from my house has no bearing on this decision 😉 Lee, Salisbury station is a 15-20 minute spin from the start, can provide directions if needed.

peteimpreza

Well my birthday is nine days later.

I wil try and come along.

i may bake cake as well.

Zed
    Free Member

Hey, I'm a fellow Salisbrarian
    I'll come along, any sunday is fine with me, I bring with me 20 years of extensive knowledge of salisburys country pubs 😀

lexiekay
    Free Member

ooh yeah i like cake… can it have a big "30" on it? and 30 candles?

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Cool yeah directions would be good!! (email in profile..)

I like the idea of a Birthday ride, I'll have a think of some funny birthday ideas

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, couldn't manage the candles. And you might need to change your name to Will 😕

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

I can make the 20th but not the 27th, would be good to ride..

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Mrs MM has given me a pass for the day so i'm a definate for the 20th. 😀

Amos
    Free Member

ZED if you're about this sunday I'd be up for a spin out? I'm staying in Laverstock and off to wedding tomorrow so maybe a bit jaded but be good to find some singletrack and ride stuff I haven't for years! mail me in profile if you're up for it

RichPenny YGM too mate

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

This still on Rich?

Anna-B
    Free Member

it is rusty. no video cameras allowed.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Shame. Can't do the 20th but is 27th OK

RichPenny
    Free Member

Did a quick reccy of the route today, had to adjust a few bits as the singletrack is very overgrown in places and not everyone likes nettle rash.

Current route is 26 miles, and probably 600m climbing, but I can add to that if needed. Pub stop is at The Bridge in Woodford, who do a cream tea as well so we could stop for that if people are interested? Took about 4 hours including pub and a lunch stop today, so that extrapolates to a 6-7 hour group ride in my reckoning. Any idea of numbers?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

10,000 cyclists will turn up, all expecting nicely pruned, buff singletrack and homemade cakes! 😀

I'm in, AFAIK.

[whispers: overall, is it better suited to nippy HTs or tufty FSs?]

XC_PK
    Free Member

I think Im free for this. I will have to see if I can use the car though! Is it SS-able?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Was on HT today and prefer it on that, definitely nothing technical enough for full sus, unless you fancy the jumps and your skill is exceeded by your enthusiasm! I've ridden a lot of it SS and was using an alfine today, none of it requires a granny so if you're reasonably fit the climbs are fine.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Looking forward to this!

Zed
    Free Member

I'm still up for it, what's the general route?
    I do the woodford-monarchs way-pitton-clarendon routes quite a bit, the nettles are nice and high along there right now 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I doubt I can make this due to prior commitments, but you never know! 🙂

Have a good 'un if I miss it!

XC_PK
    Free Member

Im still good for this, just skimming through I can't see a meet time… Rich?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Sorry, been a bit sidetracked recently.

Will meet at 9.30 for a 10am start.

Meeting place is Here. Basically it's the overflow carpark for the Wilton Shopping Village, first right on the A30 after the A30/A36 roundabout. Ignore the first bit of parking, go over the little bridge and park at the back.

Route for the locals will be a bit of Grovely, descent to Wishford, climb out of Stoford to Chain Hill, descent to the pub, Monarchs Way to W'bourne Earls then Ford, Laverstock Downs, Harnham slope via Cathedral, golf course climb then Hare Warren.

Any chance of a roll call?

Cheers,

Rich

cinnamon_girl

So disappointed I can't make this although folk wouldn't want a weirdo on the ride anyway

Rich – would seriously be interested in a gpx if you have one, failing that a guided tour sometime. 🙂

Have a great time everyone!

XC_PK
    Free Member

Cheers – Should be there (as long as I don't get lost on the way)! Despite 'climb' and 'hill' being in your quick description I think I will be on the SS.

See you all on Sunday!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury area STW ride Sunday 20th June’ is closed to new replies.