Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sales of goods act
  • wors

Anyone used this to get an item replaced out of manufacturers warranty?

highclimber
    Free Member

yes. though it depends how far out of warranty it is! i.e. I wouldn’t try to claim SoGA for a 10 year old CRT TV that’s broken down. I would, however claim SoGA for a 2 year old flat screen TV that had a 12 month warranty.

wors

it’s for an ipad, a month shy of 2 years old.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I got a refund for the cost (about £150) of our dishwasher repair after about 1 year and 9 months using SOGA. It took quite a few emails and calls, and they only coughed up on the afternoon of the last day of the deadline I gave them for payment, pre-small claims court. Result, though. If you want any tips, ask away!

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Apple conform to this call into an Apple store and the will verify your serial number, take your reciept too if possible do it asap

winston_dog
    Free Member

Apple warranty

Good luck with that as tehir web page doesn’t make a lot sense to me.

I have heard they strongly resist any claim on the SoGA.

Apple a nasty corporate animal but with a good image, a bit like Virgin! Personally I avoid them.

hora
    Free Member

Wors a while ago now but I used the SOGA on two Ipod’s successfully (outside of 1 yr warranty) due to failing batteries*. They WILL resist but you are within your rights to expect an item to last for a reasonable period of time.

If you use the words premium product, well designed products such as the ipad can be reasonable expected to last upto 5yrs.

I was in the midst of a SOGA battle with Comet over a fridge freezer but Comet decided to bow out of the argument before resolution….. 😀

*Apple argued I was doing something to the ipods/nothing wrong with them etc and its wear and tear from continual carriage/use in pocket etc (both were mint). It later transpired that Apple had a big problem with a batch of batteries manufactured in their Chinese factories……….

I never bought another Apple product.

wors

Should add i bought it through pc world, i spoke to the manager last week, he dismissed it straight away. spoke to the complaints department and the gave me a complaints number and told me to go back to the store and give them CC number

hora
    Free Member

Go straight to PC World head office. Ask for a refusal in writing.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Should add i bought it through pc world

Oh dear!

I have just had a saga with them over a £250 netbook, within the 12mth warranty, they must of spent more trying to repair, but failing, than any profit they could of lost from simply replacing immediately.They constantly inferred I was lying and tried to actually act outside of their own declared policies never mind the law! Good luck with 2 years!

Just be firm and polite is all I could suggest. I nearly lost it completely on the 3rd visit to the store. They did finally exchange it though.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

take receipt for ipad, book an appt with genius bar in apple store. i’ve found them FAR more helpful than any other option

IA

What’s gone wrong with it?

Maybe if you took it into apple (as suggested above) they’d fix it?

wors

What’s gone wrong with it?

It won’t charge, i took it to the apple store and thinking it was the battery, turns out is the bit you plug the charger into. The guy at the apple store said it was unfixable.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think there’s an EU law that covers things for two years
    http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

nickdavies

it’s for an ipad, a month shy of 2 years old.

It’s not really the SOGA you want to use here, it’s the EU Consumer law on electronics. http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

If it was purchased direct from Apple they would have sorted it if less than 2 years old – they repaired my 18month macbook no questions asked as part of it.

SOGA does apply and you could argue that it should last longer than 2 years but I think you’ll find the EU 2 year consumer law easier to argue without going through small claims etc. It’s not straightforward however – you have to prove the fault which is easy sometimes but if it’s the charging point faulty they might argue it’s through misuse.

drlex
    Free Member

It won’t charge, i took it to the apple store and thinking it was the battery, turns out is the bit you plug the charger into. The guy at the apple store said it was unfixable.

I had this on my youngest daughter’s iPod- she’d been jamming it in to the non-Apple charging station and both bent pins & snapped a piece of the connector. Sadly binned, but almost 3 years old & with a failing battery, not an economic repair.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sales of goods act’ is closed to new replies.