• This topic has 23 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Philby.
Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Sajid Javid to stand down as MP…
  • Poopscoop

…At the next GE.

It’s almost like they are expecting a complete disaster at the next election isn’t it?

How many are we upto now, 12 I think?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-63835091

ernielynch

This was a week ago

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/nov/25/tory-mps-ponder-life-after-parliament-deadline-declare-intention

MPs are already predicting as many as 50 colleagues may decide not to stand in 2024, having looked at the state of the polls.

maccruiskeen

How many are we upto now, 12 I think?

I think typically about 40 or so tory MPs stand down at each election so 12s not that big a number – but its maybe who is choosing to stand down thats more interesting. If you look at he list of Cons and Lab MPs declaring they’ll stand down the conservative list is generally pretty young and the labour one is generally pretty old.

So the conservative ones are generally quitting rather than retiring.

tjagain

They need to capitalise on the folk that owe them while they have chance.   thats all it is.

Speeder

tjagain

They need to capitalise on the folk that owe them while they have chance. that’s all it is.

Cashing in while they can for sure. Before those that have benefitted forget about them.

cookeaa

It’s almost like they are expecting a complete disaster at the next election isn’t it?

Whatever could you mean?

Mr Javid, MP for the Worcestershire seat of Bromsgrove, said he had made the decision “after much reflection”.

It’s just the sort of choice you take after “Much Reflection”

But Don’t Worry The Nation’s Saviour will be back From his holibops in time for the next GE…

tthew

I think typically about 40 or so tory MPs stand down at each election so 12s not that big a number

Still a long way out from the election to be declaring it now!

maccruiskeen

They’ve been told by the party to notify them by Monday if they intend not to run. Thats also the date new electoral boundaries will be confirmed  – the boundary changes are largely though to favour the tory party at least a little. So it helps to confirm what the new safe seats are that people the party think are important can be parachuted into,  but I guess they also want to know what seats are going to be vacated so they know who to shuffle in there too if its a favourable one- Javid’s seat is a fairly safe one so that’ll be a welcome vacancy for someone on a stickier wicket.

LimboJimbo

Genuine question, is it not more financially advantageous for an MP to be ejected by the electorate rather than stand down? I seem to remember there is a decent severance package in that event.

Not that your average Tory is motivated by that sort of thing of course, in it to make a difference and all that.

dogbone

If you can swing an extra non executive directorship or two, that would easily make up the difference.
    As Snoop says ‘smoke it while it’s hot’.

maccruiskeen

Genuine question, is it not more financially advantageous for an MP to be ejected by the electorate rather than stand down? I seem to remember there is a decent severance package in that event.

One month pay for every year of service capped at £33k if they run again and lose. They also have a winding up budget  – but thats for the time and costs of closing down a constituency office but they get that either way.

Javid would have got more than that (a quarter of his ministerial salary) every time he’s resigned so its small beer in his case.

I think the younger MPs who are standing down given they’ve got a fairly long career of something else ahead of them and I guess they don’t want to be someone who lost their seat on their future CV

cookeaa

Apparently, the party has asked all their MPs to state if they do not intend to contest the next GE by 05/12/22 (Monday), sounds a bit like a tacit acknowledgement that the Rats are preparing to flee an obviously sinking ship, and that planning for the next basically GE starts now.

I suppose knowing who’s going to jump ~two years ahead gives them time to line up replacements, probably allows the ERG to install appropriate headbanger candidates in those constituencies and generally identify the “personalities” that they’ll be hanging onto to front the campaign…

Dunno, they get a couple of years MP salary while they line up their various directorships, fill their mobile with useful contacts and engage a literary agent. Then they get to quietly bow out, endorse their successor and don’t actually have to suffer a proper defeat at the polls. Being allowed to give 24 months notice, bank that pay while barely doing the job would be considered pretty good exit terms in lots of jobs…

montgomery
    Free Member

Back in September Javid was paid £30k to give a speech to some corporate types. He won’t be short of a few bob. A cynic might ask what he (or any of these clowns) has to say that’d be worth more to listen to than the typical annual wage in the UK.

CountZero

A cynic might ask what he (or any of these clowns) has to say that’d be worth more to listen to than the typical annual wage in the UK.

Ask Tony Blair, he might have something to say…

greyspoke
    Free Member

As tories go, the Saj is towards the “normal” end of the party though. Has he given up partly because he doesn’t see a future for normals?

ernielynch

I would question his political acumen.

“If we can renew our government with a bold agenda, the Conservatives can still beat Labour, the Lib Dems and the SNP at the next election — and the evidence suggests Liz is the best-placed candidate to do so”

– Sajid Javid

rOcKeTdOg

Javid’s seat is a fairly safe

He’s my MP, there’s a local rumour he’s going to follow his dad and will be driving the local ring & ride bus

Harry_the_Spider

Realised that the opportunity to rinse every penny out of the gig will expire once Labour win the next election.

BillMC

I always assumed that these big bungs to former ministers for reading out a speech that someone else has written was just how they do the payoffs for them imposing recommended policies on the UK electorate. Speech money coming from banks and big businesses mean that people don’t question its actual origin. Look how quickly Blair became mega rich. Plus as TJ referred to above they’ll be wanting to get the commissions from the ppe pub landlords etc. All this on top of handsome pensions whilst kids go hungry.

crazy-legs

Mr Javid, MP for the Worcestershire seat of Bromsgrove, said he had made the decision “after much reflection”.

It’s quite a turnaround from wanting to be leader of the party only a few months ago to standing down.

Anyway, he’s ex-City – former director at Deutsche Bank – he’ll be back in those sort of circles as some sort of non-exec director / board member on £3m before you know it. Another one who’s only in politics for the power and doesn’t fancy a spell in opposition where he can’t really do a lot.

maccruiskeen

What’s happening to all the folk Boris gave resignation honours to? Peerages mean the recipient has to vacate their seat in the commons – and a by-election. There seemed to be thinking that because it was Boris those rules could just be ignored. Think there’s at least 4 MPs on his list, he apparently wanted 8.

dudeofdoom

I think they were planning to ‘defer’ their peerage until they wanted to take it.

Not sure the precedent for it thou.

dudeofdoom

I would question his political acumen.

TBH he wasn’t going to get a job under his tea boy thou.

As tories go, the Saj is towards the “normal” end of the party though. Has he given up partly because he doesn’t see a future for normals?

More like couldn’t see a future for Javid, he’ll now be cashing in on all the favours.

Philby

Sounds like the queue for the trough of post-Parliament Non-exec directorships is starting to grow. Saj obviously making a pre-emptive announcement so he can get his snout to the head of the queue.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.