Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Sajid Javid, MP & ex chancellor, joins JP Morgan
  • frankconway

So the recent ex-chancellor who is still an MP has joined JP Morgan as a ‘senior advisor’.
    Signed off by Acoba on the basis that his role will be ‘strongly ringfenced’.
    How can this have been approved?
    He was chancellor only 6 months ago and has strong connections with Rishi Sunak.
    https://www.ft.com/content/6636719c-bc62-4eef-aa71-c05fddedeb7c
    Snout in trough is, I think, an appropriate description.

Murray

By current standards nothing to see. After all, he’s not taking money directly from the government for supplying something that will never be used.

kelvin

It’s the old kind of dodgy… ie. you can actually follow the money and know who he is working for. It seems almost quaint and honourable compared to some of his party, and who they seem to be working for.

inkster
    Free Member

Ex Mminister who resigns out of principle goes back to old employer because he is bored, his talents being ignored by the Government but valued by prestige financial institution.

Can’t believe I just typed that but that’s how far we’ve fallen.

Northwind

Sends me back to the good old days when the worst sort of corruption we’d usually encounter from politicians was this sort of thing, as opposed to giving contracts for desperately needed PPE to your mates while citizens and doctors die from the lack of it.

I didn’t like Javid at all, but he did sort of give the impression that he looked around at the government he was part of and went, jesus christ no.

batfink
    Free Member

Glad to hear that being an MP isn’t a full time job any more, by how much should we pro-rata each of their salaries? 40%? 50%?

Or are they paying him for doing no work? There’s a name for that kind of arrangement I think.

rone

Old school Tory being an old school Tory.

lunge

I didn’t like Javid at all, but he did sort of give the impression that he looked around at the government he was part of and went, jesus christ no.

This.
    It’s a bit old skool really, the current crop have set the bar so high for dodgy behaviour that this barely registers.

MoreCashThanDash

As others have said, this is really a non-story, both by current government standards and by normal standards for MPs on all sides.

dissonance

How can this have been approved?

From several years of private eye articles it would have been more surprising if it wasnt approved. Acoba is deliberately crippled.

johnhe

I don’t really see a issue. I see how it can be worrying, but just about everyone in senior positions in industry serves on various boards or various companies. And for most companies, they’re keen to get the advice of people who have strong track records.

MoreCashThanDash

Given everything else the government is doing/not doing, I’ll not let too much of my anger and attention be distracted by this story

chrismac

The real question is what did he do for his new employer whilst in office

binners

It’s just the traditional old-school Westminster revolving door

Meanwhile, welcome to the brave new Dominic-Cummings-style world of properly corrupt, cronyist political appointments…

I think it’s fair to say that this lot have dialled things up a notch or two

thepurist

Didn’t Blair do the same thing? IIRC he got a role with Goldman/JP Morgan/someone pretty soon after he quit. Obviously there’s a difference as one is a right wing politician with a dodgy agenda and the other one was chancellor quite recently.

grum
    Free Member

Given that he was a senior executive at Deutsche Bank when they constructed a large illegal offshore tax evasion scheme before becoming chancellor this ranks pretty low on the list of things to be concerned about, sadly.

You also have to wonder why you would leave a supposedly £3 million a year job to be an MP – learning aside public spiritedness as a very unlikely possibility it seems more probable that having been chancellor gains you very valuable insider knowledge/connections for a company like JP Morgan.

Meanwhile, welcome to the brave new Dominic Cummings style world of properly corrupt cronyist political appointments…

Her husband apparently runs a conservative ‘think tank’ which has been calling for the abolition of Public Health England. And lo and behold it happens and his wife Baroness ‘Dido’ Harding with a track record of failure gets the job.

Guess what else the think tank are calling for? Replacing the NHS with a US style private insurance system. Step 1: achieved!

tpbiker
    Free Member

Didn’t Blair do the same thing? IIRC he got a role with Goldman/JP

Whilst still a serving mp?

kerley
    Free Member

Blair was ’employed’ when he was no longer an MP. Don’t see why Javid can’t have another job alongside MP. Let’s pretend an MP job is 35 hours per week, loads of time left to cover what is probably half a day a month as advisor.

richmtb

Was never a fan of “The Saj” but honestly, a bank hiring an ex-banker to work for them, who also happens to be an MP barely counts as a tremor on the Tory corruption Richter scale.

At least the bank are paying for him and not the other way round.

kormoran
    Free Member

His dad was a bus driver don’t you know

maccruiskeen

Glad to hear that being an MP isn’t a full time job any more,

It never has been. All the roles in government are paid jobs in addition to being a salaried Member of Parliament – work thats additional to being an elected constituency representative. So if ministers have time to be ministers in addition to being an MP other MPs also have time to do other things in addition to being an MP.

ransos
    Free Member

Let’s pretend an MP job is 35 hours per week, loads of time left to cover what is probably half a day a month as advisor.

Then he (and any other MP in a similar situation) should keep a timesheet.

thepurist

Then he (and any other MP in a similar situation) should keep a timesheet.

Loads of them find time to write books or newspaper columns, or provide a bit of legal advice (a certain Mr K Starmer) – all the income from that (that they declare) is listed:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/200810/contents.htm

Spud

Everything linked to this current Gov’t stinks, awaiting details today of how we’re being shafted in the PHE replacement… happy days.

MSP

Blair was ’employed’ when he was no longer an MP.

Blair got a mortgage while PM based on his post PM earnings that was no where close to affordable from his PM earnings and those of his wife, from the bank that employed him after he stood down. It was as brazen as anything, and a confident statement from the banking industries that they own politics and there is **** all normal people can do about it.

ransos
    Free Member

Loads of them find time to write books or newspaper columns, or provide a bit of legal advice (a certain Mr K Starmer) – all the income from that (that they declare) is listed:

I know. But that doesn’t tell us how much time they’re spending on the job we’re paying them to do.

inkster
    Free Member

I think of you asked Sajid for a time sheet he’d probably provide you with one.

He’s one of the last Members of the Conservative party who still remembers how to dot the i’s and cross the T’s. Probably why he got a job in a bank in the first place.

He seems to be doing a good job at mustering respect if the comments here are anything to go by. I wonder how he’d fare in a competence poll if you asked the general public? I’m sure that every time Javid’s name gets mentioned in the press Dom and BoJo wince.

MoreCashThanDash

Just to clarify I’m not supportive of Javid, I’m simply pointing out that this revelation is not a new issue, for any party, or a particularly shocking one.

ransos
    Free Member

I think of you asked Sajid for a time sheet he’d probably provide you with one.

It was more of a general point… that MPs should be doing the job they’re paid to do.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I first read the thread title as

Sajid Javid, MP & ex chancellor, joins Piers Morgan

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Old school Tory being an old school Tory

FFS they all do it, don’t try and make out it’s just a conservative thing.

Not even labour politicians go in to politics for the greater good

footflaps

Was never a fan of “The Saj” but honestly, a bank hiring an ex-banker to work for them, who also happens to be an MP barely counts as a tremor on the Tory corruption Richter scale.

+1

Completely in the noise, we’ve just had our public health body abolished and given to someone’s wife on the sole basis she rides horses with someone’s mate, thereby ensuring that whatever disaster comes next, the UK will be even less prepared and more underfunded than it was for CV-19….

roger_mellie

if ministers have time to be ministers in addition to being an MP other MPs also have time to do other things in addition to being an MP.

This ^

It was more of a general point… that MPs should be doing the job they’re paid to do.

I’m sure Javid can find a couple of hours a month to advise JP Morgan for £££ whilst still performing his constituency duties. It’s not as if he’s signed up to work 37.5 hours a week doing some spreadsheet jockeying for them. Doesn’t make it any less galling, I grant you.

fatmountain
    Free Member

Still, better than a Labour government under the Corbynistas.

kerley
    Free Member

Being advisor to a company would be on top of the job he is doing not instead of it. If he did 50 hours a week as MP (working flexibly, at weekend, evening etc,.) and also worked 4 hours a month for a company is that okay or should he work 51 hours a week as MP instead as 50 is not enough?

I work full time but I am allowed to have a second job as long as a I declare it and the company I work for doesn’t see it as a conflict of interest. How I find time for the second job is down to me. Why is an MP job any different?

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Sajid Javid, MP & ex chancellor, joins JP Morgan’ is closed to new replies.