• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by P-Jay.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Safe USB plug adapter recommendation plse
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Can someone recommend a safe USB(A) charging/power plug that won’t burn the house down? Loads of similar looking stuff out there but no idea if the quality is any good.

It’s for a device that needs USB power from standard UK 240v socket. Two USB outputs would be an advantage in terms of future proofing.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Just a plug end? Anker make good quality stuff, they’re usually on Amazon

dannybgoode

Whatever Anker device fits your needs and budget.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tomnavman
    Free Member

Anker is the brand of choice on Amazon, something like:

Anker USB Plug Charger, PowerPort mini Dual Port USB Charger, Super Compact Wall Charger, 2.4A Output for iPhone Xs/XS Max/XR/X/8/7/6/Plus, iPad Pro/Air 2/Mini 4, Samsung, and More https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07X1RW3RL/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_HQ166WCRA2JBAK934XZE

tomnavman
    Free Member

Haha this is a rare STW point of agreement!

superleggero
    Free Member

Thanks P-Jay – yes standard 240v plug and output USB. I have a device which needs USB power and just came with a USB lead, no power adapter.

EDIT …and thanks to everyone else who replied while I was typing this

richmtb

These are good if you don’t want to take up a mains socket

Passthrough Plug

I’ve got one and its very well made

fossy

Anker – Even bought an Anker charger for daughter’s Ipad Pro as you can’t guarantee apple or Samsung chargers on ebay/Amazon are genuine.

Very safe chargers and just work properly.

benpinnick

Anker do a good USB & USB C (for future proofing) combo plug for £20 something.

peekay

Doesn’t everyone have a drawer filled with 3pin to USB adaptor plugs that came included with every phone, MP3 player, digital camera, baby monitor, night light or electric toothbrush that anyone from the household has bought over the last 15 years?

fossy

The old chargers take too long to charge modern stuff.

baser
    Free Member

I use a Rav Power 65W charger, 2x usb A and 2x usb C. It can charge a MacBook Pro, iPad and 2x iPhones at the same time. Spend a few nights a week away from home on business and it’s the only charger I carry.

Daffy

Why not simply buy a new faceplate for the socket that has 2 USB ports built in?

We’ve now got lots of them in the house. They’re incredibly useful for everything from Ipads to bike lights and security cameras.

Our oldest is probably 4 years old.

bensales
    Free Member

Why not simply buy a new faceplate for the socket that has 2 USB ports built in?

This is the proper answer. My entire house pretty much has USB sockets on all plug sockets now. They’re often cheaper than adapters and changing a faceplate is a doddle. And newer ones don’t even require deep back boxes.

https://www.screwfix.com/c/electrical-lighting/sockets/cat4540002?electricalsocketproducttype=plug&withusbports=usb#category=cat4540002&electricalsocketproducttype=plug&withusbports=usb&sort_by=price

P-Jay
    Free Member

I considered that myself, I didn’t in the end because I figured USB A will be end-of-life very soon, even the few with USB C were, at least as far as I can tell lower powered and I like fast charging and really I’d need 4-5 for all the places I like to charge things.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Safe USB plug adapter recommendation plse’ is closed to new replies.