• This topic has 31 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by csb.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Saddleworth Moor
  • Ambrose

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-63091544

I so hope that this has as good an outcome as possible.

jamj1974

Fingers crossed.

devash
    Free Member

Hope its him and that this provides some closure. Shame his mum died before she got answers. I’m a fairly stoical person but I welled up watching an interview with her on ITV local news before she passed away. Heart-breaking situation for her and the family.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Listened to a podcast about the Moors Murder the other week.

Although I knew bits of the story, the details were horrific and how it ended was bizarre.

My FiL went to school with Hinley.

onewheelgood

Why? What on earth is the point of this?

blokeuptheroad

Really?  You can’t understand why surviving family members might want closure or a proper burial?  Would you feel the same if it was a close relative of yours?

gobuchul
    Free Member

Because someone has found some human remains and informed the Police.

They will always investigate. Even Time team had them onsite when they found some remains when digging at a medieval chapel.

avdave2

Why? What on earth is the point of this

Because it’s right, because he deserves the same level of work and effort to find him as a medieval king, because he deserves a funeral as much as a dead queen, because he mattered.

scuttler

Bloody ell avdave are you a speech writer? Summed it up perfectly.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Because someone has found some human remains and informed the Police.

Agree with the sentiment, although the story seems a bit odd. Who’s this author been speaking to that no one else has that’s suddenly spilled this information?

blokeuptheroad

I’ll be generous, it may be you have good reasons for stating that and just haven’t articulated them. Without that though, you come across as being devoid of empathy and incredibly callous.

pondo

I met Brady’s lawyer a few years ago – he (the lawyer) is himself a deeply weird individual.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Agree with the sentiment, although the story seems a bit odd. Who’s this author been speaking to that no one else has that’s suddenly spilled this information?

From what I understand, there are a lot of photos of the 2 of them on the moor.

Some of them were taken where some of their victims were found. It seemed to be that they liked to go back to the graves of their victims.

So people have been trying to geo-locate all of the photos, in attempt to find the missing victims. Seems like this guy has managed to get it right.

didnthurt

I hope it is Keith so his family can finally get closure on his death.

Mat

There seems to be a big push (and progress) on cold cases at the moment up here in Scotland:

Renee and Andrew MacRae

Alistair Wilson

George Murdoch

I wonder what’s enabled it, detectives having less to do during Covid or something?

onewheelgood

I’m obviously in a minority here, but I find our fetishisation of dead bodies weird. What makes someone worthwhile is not their body, it’s their spirit (in a non-religious sense).I’ve lost people close to me, and what happened to their body was not something that bothered me in the slightest. Once the spirit is gone, the body has no value. I don’t think that makes me callous – I can mourn the loss of that spirit and empathise with those who were close to the person without obsessing about physical remains.

blokeuptheroad

Thanks for that.  I agree with some of what you say, personally I’d be happy for my remains to go in the compost heap! But I also know that would be deeply upsetting for some of my family and friends and I wouldn’t want to be responsible for that.  Whether for religious or cultural reasons a lot of people feel a ‘proper’ burial is important. To describe that as fetishisation of dead bodies seems unfair to me.  Even if you don’t see the value of a burial, perhaps you can understand that others might? Especially in the particularly traumatic circumstances of this case?  If (god forbid) it were your son, daughter, brother etc, would you really think ‘nah, just leave them there’?

RustySpanner

So people have been trying to geo-locate all of the photos, in attempt to find the missing victims. Seems like this guy has managed to get it right

There were many possible places named and investigated over the years.
    Fingers crossed.

ernielynch

I’ve lost people close to me, and what happened to their body was not something that bothered me in the slightest.

Yeah but this isn’t about you.

I suspect that Keith Bennett’s brother will be grateful if Keith’s remains can be properly laid to rest, or cremated, out of respect for the memory of his brother, and his deceased mother who never gave up searching for her son’s remains.

RustySpanner

I wonder if Brady’s personal papers were finally handed over by his lawyers?

onewheelgood

Even if you don’t see the value of a burial, perhaps you can understand that others might?

Yes, sure, people do loads of things that I can’t see the point of but I’m not going to stop them.

If (god forbid) it were your son, daughter, brother etc, would you really think ‘nah, just leave them there’?

Many years ago I lost someone equally close and really what happened to their body was the last thing on my mind, so yes, I think I probably would.

blokeuptheroad

Sorry for your loss, but @ernielynch put it more eloquently than I could.  I suspect most on here have lost people close to them.  It’s not about us though, it’s about the Bennett family.  They very demonstrably and publicly do care about locating the remains and burying them having tried for decades to do just that.  Empathy is understanding that and not questioning the worth of it, even if our own wishes in the circumstances would differ.

bikerevivesheffield

@onewheelgood do you have children?

bikerevivesheffield

Losing someone is one thing, but losing a child and not knowing where they are/having them taken away unexpectedly is completely another thing. I don’t think that unless we have been in the same position we can comment

tjagain

May i suggest its dropped? Onewheel made an insensitive remark. No need to pile on on this thread?

blokeuptheroad

May i suggest its dropped? Onewheel made an insensitive remark. No need to pile on on this thread?

Agreed.  No pile on intended, just trying to understand another’s POV. Apols for my part in a potential PO.  Don’t want that.

CountZero

Pot > Kettle. He’s continued to add to his comments in a way that doesn’t exactly come across as an apology.

There’s an unfortunate element of ‘me me me me me’ there, with absolutely no sign of any empathy or sympathy with the families of children who were torchered and murdered in as callous and abhorrent as manner as could be imagined, who died alone and in abject terror, with nowhere for the families to go to to mourn properly.
    As most here know, I lost my partner eighteen months ago, and there isn’t a day goes by when I don’t mourn her loss, but I at least have her ashes here with me – the remains of that poor little lad are still up there, alone, and my heart breaks thinking of what that means to his family.

theotherjonv

^ don’t agree with a PO, but that last sentence covers perfectly why I hope he is found and finally laid to rest.

thepodge
    Free Member

Regardless of what the family want or if the soul has gone etc… if remains are found and left it wouldn’t be long before it became some kind of gruesome tourist attraction for some. You don’t want every oddball in the area traipsing over the moors with a selfie stick.

MoreCashThanDash

I met Brady’s lawyer a few years ago – he (the lawyer) is himself a deeply weird individual.

That lawyers surname will bring back shivers to anyone who dealt with personal injury claims in the mid-90s, when ambulance chasing first hit the mainland. I’m guessing there’s a connection (to another “interesting” character)

onewheelgood

I’m not going to say anything else, except thanks to TJ, and blokeuptheroad, I think you’ve been completely reasonable.

csb

Because it’s right, because he deserves the same level of work and effort to find him as a medieval king, because he deserves a funeral as much as a dead queen, because he mattered.

This is quite beautiful.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.