Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Saddles & Pelvic Anatomy – Help!
  • Nobby

For years I’ve used the same saddles on most of my bikes but the last one finally gave up & they’re not made anymore or available anywhere. My MTB one isn’t too bad but does get less comfy after 90 minutes or so but the roadie is awful after an hour on Zwift.

Decided to get measured up properly by both a Spesh dealer & Trek – both gave same result of 130mm sit bones. Puts me on a 155mm saddle (the SL’s were 145) so after sitting on a few picked up a Spesh Phenom. It certainly feels better & more supportive but After an hour or so I got a really sharp pain in the ischium area between sit bone & hip joint but just on one side.

Could this be a symptom of too wide a saddle? There’s plenty on the web re narrow saddle issues but not much at this end of the scale.

I do wonder whether the saddle is very slightly out of line with the frame as the pain is one sided?

13thfloormonk

Sorry, no advice to offer but interested, I’m pestering my local Evans at the moment taking advantage of Specialized’s 30 day comfort guarantee. My 155 Romin seems perfect but I think the extra width has resulted in chafing on my inner thigh! Definitely a rub/red spot I’ve never experienced before.

Couldn’t comment on the ischium issue, could that be a saddle tilt issue causing you to rotate your pelvis differently?

Nobby

Saddle is level same as previous ones so I don’t think so – especially as it’s one sided.

Gonna check all adjustments tomorrow to make sure they’re all good.

mattyfez

Sorry if I’m teaching you to suck eggs, but this is a really good video, maybe the saddle needs to be moved fore/aft maybe it’s too high..if you have a dominant leg it might explain the one sidedness if all else is equal.. You could be rocking your pelvis to one side subconsciously.

https://youtu.be/1DPnkG8_AGk

MrsMugsy
    Free Member

Have you thought that maybe it’s you who’s wonky?
    Jokes aside, you could very well have a pelvis that’s rotated or tilted on one side. People live very well like that without noticing, it only becomes an issue with sports.

Personally, I visit my osteopath twice a year and everytime he has to correct that on me.

Nobby

I do suffer from Chronic SI Joint Dysfunction but as far as I know the pelvis is ok in itself. Not had an issue in 30+ years of riding like this & the only real change has been saddle width. It’s been suggested to me by a friend who is a physio & pilates instructor that my sit bones narrow quicker than ‘normal’ when rotated forward. When I can get back to LBS I’ll see if there’s a major difference on the assometer if I’m sat in a much more aero position than I’d normally ride to see how much the measurement changes.

Will review entire set up tonight anyway just in case I’ve missed something.

akira

Pain on turbo quite common as the bike is static, when you’re out the movement of the bike helps comfort. Many people buying or building rocker plates to allow some movement and make it feel more a natural.

treksuperfly
    Free Member

I was measured and 155mm was recommended so i took a power elaston all felt great apart from it digging into the back of my thigh , so i took a power arc 155mm which was too rounded and still irritated my thigh so that got swapped for a phenom 155mm which fine apart from the thighs again .
    By now i started to feel like i was taking the pi_s as they were all near £200 saddles so took a tried and tested henge 143mm like id had in the past which turned out perfect ….. so maybe the others would of been fine in 143mm have since read a few people regardless of sit bone width just get on with narrower saddles

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Saddles & Pelvic Anatomy – Help!’ is closed to new replies.