Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Saddles, numb nuts and indoor trainer
  • YoKaiser
    Free Member

In the past saddles have never been particularly a problem, just about everything suits but I’ve recently taken ownership of a stationary trainer in the form of a wattbike. The saddle is famous for being unforgiving and indeed is proving so. A considerable amount of numbness in the bollocks area. I’m guessing the stable base, mostly seated position and lack of movement is all contributing.

So has anyone else encountered the same problem and what style of saddle did you try? My wife uses it too so if there is anything that is appropriate for both us that would be even better. Mind you she doesn’t complain about numb nuts.

Muke
    Free Member

ISM Adamo short nose saddle ?

molgrips
    Free Member

No point in asking for recommendations for saddles, cos everyone’s arse is different.

The thing to remember is not to be sitting on your perineum, but instead on your sit bones. You can usually achieve this by tilting the saddle slightly nose down – but only very slightly.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It’ll be vibration from the trainer against the hard floor.

Mines was same after 100km.on the kickr -on a bike /saddle/position I was happy doing 300km on.

I put pipe lagging on the feet and then put that pipe lagging on two lengths running front to back.

No more an issue

jonnyboi

No point in asking for recommendations for saddles, cos everyone’s arse is different.

The thing to remember is not to be sitting on your perineum, but instead on your sit bones. You can usually achieve this by tilting the saddle slightly nose down – but only very slightly.

this is word for word what I would have typed. I use a wide specialized power saddle and eliminated my numb tackle issues, but no guarantee it will work for you. Sticking your turbo on a yoga mat can help as well

Poopscoop

I bought cheap saddles off ebay and kept swapping till I got one that suited.👍

michaelmcc
    Free Member

I would try an ISM .

jonnyboi

I wouldn’t be trying or buying any saddle until you have properly measured your sit bones

retrorick

Stand up on the pedals in a higher gear if possible every so often. Might help out until your bottom adjusts to the saddle.

paton
    Free Member

sillysilly
    Free Member

Are you wearing proper cycling shorts with chamois? The standard watt bike saddle is not nice without.

Is your weight focussed on sit bones on back of saddle? If not if should.

Is saddle right angle? Try tilting forward a tad.

They are things that sorted similar issues for me.

If none work try a few different saddles. Good vids on YouTube on saddle choice for different anatomies and other adjustments you can make to setback / handlebar height that can also contribute.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Thanks all. Have never had sit bones measured before and have found a home method I’ll try. Paton those links were useful, guy comes across very well.

dovebiker

Maintaining a static position and avoid pulling yourself forward onto the nose of the saddle – drop the seat height down a little and angle the nose down a touch if needed. Also, mix your drills up, do some hill climb reps out the saddle – will also help build core strength.

eskay

Adamo is the only thing that comes close to comfort for me on a turbo. Loads of padding and total cutaway.

Poopscoop

anagallis_arvensis

Mines was same after 100km.on the kickr -on a bike /saddle/position I was happy doing 300km on.

Sorry, what, 300km on a home trainer, what sort of madness led you to do that?

BadlyWiredDog

Not applicable with a Wattbike, I guess, but a rocker plate introduces some movement and give into the system and makes a big difference ime. On the saddle front, if you do decided to change, Fabric’s base level saddles are good and decent value for money, plus they have a huge range in different profiles and widths.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sorry, what, 300km on a home trainer, what sort of madness led you to do that?

No not that. Read again. The same.set up on a turbo that I can do 300km on road gives numbnuts after 100km on turbo

13thfloormonk

after 100km on turbo

Still though, kudos!

jamesoz

My turbo is noticeably more comfortable upstairs on a normal carpeted floor compared to the hard floor in the conservatory. So some carpet off cuts and the trainer mat.
    Not relevant to a watt bike but I find having the front wheel on a turntable really helps comfort.

susepic

Another +1 for setting the saddle a little nose down. Make sure saddle height and reach also not different to the real bike as well.

velocipede
    Free Member

I had a really bad problem a few years ago resulting in scans and further investigation – I was convinced I had testicular cancer…..pretty much felt like I’d been kicked in the balls 24 hours a day – it was not pleasant and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone!!!

Turned out to be Varicocele – basically varicose veins in your scrotum – caused by, wait for it –

To much time on the turbo in a fixed position –

Two things to do:

1. Lower the nose of the saddle slightly as per advice above – this gets you more on the sit bones
    2. Don’t spend so much time on the turbo – get out and ride – the sprinting out of corners, freewheeling down hills, stopping at junctions and general changes in cadence all keep this problem at bay!!

tonyd

I swapped the saddle on my smart bike as the stock one was 125mm and 143mm is a better size for me (measured sit bones). I put a Specialized power saddle on there and find it very comfy. Was still getting a bit sore though after 90 mins or so, ended up buying a rocker plate and very rarely get numb or sore now and can go 2+ hours without a problem (other than the incredible boredom that comes with sitting on a stationary bike for that long).

Rocker plate is an expensive solution though.

tonyd

basically varicose veins in your scrotum – caused by, wait for it –

To much time on the turbo in a fixed position –

Holy sheet, that sounds horrific!

Don’t spend so much time on the turbo – get out and ride

Totally agree, but in the depths of winter it’s nice to have the option. I also struggle sometimes to get out out because I can’t leave the kids so grabbing an hour or two in the garage is the only option.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Saddles, numb nuts and indoor trainer’ is closed to new replies.