Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Saddle Width ~ By Measuring another part of your body
  • P20

As per title.
    I need to replace my ageing saddles. They’re over 10yrs old… and before saddle width was a thing. So the new Wtb are in different widths and they reckon you can work it out based on your wrist! Anyone used this method? Does it work?

https://www.wtb.com/pages/fit-right-system

sailor74
    Free Member

its hard to imagine how measuring your wrists wouldnt be a superior method for working out your sit bone width than measuring your sit bones…..

i have seen this before and it probably works for most people. Just measure your sitbones properly and go to the WTB website where all the saddle width details are listed. i expect you will end up with a ‘medium’.

defblade
    Free Member

Doesn’t work for me. Suggests wide, I ride narrow.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Its not even a rule of thumb

MoreCashThanDash

Its not even a rule of thumb

👍

mert
    Free Member

Looks like the sort of thing that works for a half a dozen people in the WTB office so they’ve decided it’s the New Thing.

kimbers

Looks like the sort of thing that works for a half a dozen people in the WTB office so they’ve decided it’s the New Thing.

It’s been a thing for years

The width of your wrist is related to the size of your arse

It worked well for anyway!

mert
    Free Member

So, half a dozen people in the WTB office who have now all left to set up artisanal coffee shops and bakeries? 😉

ogden
    Free Member

Can’t you just do the trick of sitting on tin foil?

I had always ridden with a charge spoon saddle until the ebike I bought last year came with a 155mm saddle. It was only after riding a wider saddle and then going back to the spoon that I realised that I’d been on the wrong saddles the whole time. I ended up going to the LBS to get measured and now all my bikes run 155mm saddles.

Yak

Just done it. Pretty much matches what I have ended up with by trial and error over the years.
    I was measured in a shop once and was in-between sizes so have switched a bit between both. Wrist measurement goes for the narrower one, which matches what I settled on years ago.

theotherjonv

seems about right for me, with an inexact measurement of my wrist size.

Also means i can justifiably now consider myself big boned.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Puts me on a 122mm wide saddle, I’ve been on the Spesh BG measuring jig a few times and I measure as a 143mm width, utter twaddel from WTB

DickBarton

I’m really fancying a Flite again…found it very comfy when I last had one (23 years ago!). My frame has changed (I’m fatter) so suspect it won’t actually be that comfy now…but may see if I can get one and try it, just in case it is significantly comfier than the Charge Spoon I’ve got just now (which does feel comfy) – Flite is just to scratch an itch I’ve got to see if it still is as comfy now as it was then.

Doesn’t answer the OP question, but it did seem a very popular saddle and it would have been aided by comfort, so it might be worth seeing if you can find an old-skool saddle as they seemed to either work or not rather than the almost working/not quite right of a lot of saddles these days. Great there are options but it can also aid in the lack of comfort stakes due to the various choices.

P20

As I expected, a mixed response. Seemed an odd way of deciding saddle width.

wombat

Apparently your bumcrack is the same length as your foot, could be handy if you know the length of one and need to know the length of the other……

jameso

Works here. I’d used 130-135mm wide saddles for a long time inc WTB Pure V and Volts, then tried the 142mm size WTBs and they’re comfier for me. The wrist size thing suggests the med / 142 option also.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Still riding 30 year old saddles here, but u don’t mind scruffy, and I’m a medium in size.

sparkyrhino

Doesnt work for me, says narrow, and measured sit bones indicate wide, use a wide volt and m/L ergon = happy arse here

mrdestructo

Worked for me. Directed to buying a narrow saddle (rocket v 128/130mm(?) and prior pains magically went away.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.