Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Saddle fit – anyone tried the sit on calculator?
  • alanl
    Free Member

As subject, the OH wants a saddle that she is happy with. Rather than ordering another one online without trying it, I said why not try one of the sit on measuring things at a decent shop, and get one recommended by that.
    Has anyone tried one, bought the recommended size, and found it to be good/bad?
    Thanks.

matt_outandabout

Timely question – mrs_oab and I are both needing two new saddles each, and thought we might get measured.

scotroutes

I have. Used the Specialized gauge and it recommended the 143mm width. That was 12 years ago and I’ve basically stuck with 143mm Specialized saddles ever since (though Charge Spoons are almost identical in width).

You can do it yourself with some plasticene/putty and clingfilm.

Jordan

Or corrugated cardboard.

OH and I needed new saddles and went to the Specialized shop for a fitting. OH sat first, me second and surprisingly we were both the same size so we both bought men’s and women’s versions of the same size saddle. She has been perfectly happy with hers but I always had niggles. Sometime later I tried the diy cardboard method and came up with a size smaller so bought a suitable saddle based on that and have been happy ever since. I reckon the guy in the shop forgot to reset the machine or something in between fittings and it measured me wrongly.

survivor

A go on one showed me I needed wider saddle’s than standard… Made a massive difference for me after that.. I recommend them to anyone to try now…

RustySpanner

Yep, Mrs S tried the Spesh one at Blazing Saddles in Hebden and was well pleased.

I did the same and ended up with Spesh Phenoms which have now replaced all my Brooks on road bikes.

A few years ago now, but….
    Matching the width of your sit bones to the saddle narrows down your choice immensely.
    Then you just have to figure out which shape suits – flatter for me, rounded types like the Rolls just hurt after 30 or so miles.

I just stick with Spesh now, you can spend a load to save a few grammes if it matters, but the affordable ones are excellent and seem to last well.

stevious

Yep, I’ve used the specialized one and used their recommendations since (on theirs and other brands).

frankconway

Yes.
    Do it.

kingofthetoys

Anywhere near Manchester do this?

bigblackshed

Do this:

reluctantjumper

Yep, sat on the one at the Ergon stand at a bike show then got one of their saddles from the LBS, an SM Comp. the comfiest saddle I’ve ever had once I get past the first 20-30 seconds of my bum getting used to it again!

snotrag

@scotroutes sounds very similar to myself.

I worked at Edinburgh Bicycle in Leeds as a Student when they first opened – Specailized had just launched their saddle fit ‘ass-ometer’ so I gave it a go and surprisingly (for a slim young lad) my measurement came out at 143 – IE the biggest, and what I would have assumed was a size for a more curvy female form. I would have never, ever tried the ‘biggest’ size had I not tried it.

Low and behold though, Specalized 143mm ‘wide’ saddles have been absolutely brilliant for me. In fact I’ve still got the original saddle on one of my bikes.

I’ve tried a number of other models in the meantime and never been quite as comfy.

Strongly reccomend giving one of the ass-measurment tools a go.

simondbarnes

my measurement came out at 143 – IE the biggest, and what I would have assumed was a size for a more curvy female form. I would have never, ever tried the ‘biggest’ size had I not tried it.

143 isn’t wide. Spesh also do 155 and 168.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Saddle fit – anyone tried the sit on calculator?’ is closed to new replies.