Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Saddle bag V frame bag
  • mrb123
    Free Member

I’m doing an event (Dirty Reiver) later this year which will involve carrying a bit more gear than I normally would on a road sportive.

The kit list mandates taking a waterproof, survival blanket, extra layer etc. I’ll take a couple of inner tubes and a few other bits and pieces.

It’s obviously going to be a bit too much for back pockets and my usual compact saddle bag. I’m thinking a bag of about 3-4 litre capacity will be required and I like the look of the Restrap ones. I definitely don’t want to wear a backpack.

So should I be getting a saddle bag or a frame bag? Restrap do a 4l saddle bag and their medium and large frame bags are 3.5l and 4.5l. Any advice gratefully received!

Restrap

milfordvet
    Free Member

The weight is central between the wheels with a frame bag, not out back and its lower down than a saddle bag. No sway and its aero. I’d definitely start with a frame bag and see if it fits in. Just make sure you’ve got clearance fro your waterbottles. With a large, all the way to the seat tube, you might not be able to clear a large bottle only standard or look at a side entry bottle on the seat tube mounts. On my Spesh 58 Roubaix and Singular Swift Large there is room for a medium bidon in the seat tube and a large one on the down tube. Depends on your frame size obviously. But check that if you carry a lot of fluids. Alternatively go full frame bag and bladder.

I used a Carradice Barley for a while off the back of a Brooks, and its nice and roomy – great for commuting clothing etc, but it jigs about a bit, the frame bags are silent. Same with a Revelate pack, there’s a bit of noise and sway.

If you need any more space a ‘feed bag’ is usefull for food to hand or a bottle right up by you. I have a the Revelate one, and although its more expensive, you can see its on a mark 4 or something. There are side pockets for wrappers, and the inside lining pops out for when you’ve left an old banana skin in their 2 weeks later, plus its padded if you put electronics in. Both make for a very civilised afternoon riding.

moorsey72
    Free Member

Doing the dirty reiver 200 having failed to make it the past 2 years. alpkit possum and top tube bag at the mo but might add either a front rack and carradice or small seatpack. Either way I’ll make a decision and do a fair amount of miles with the setup in place before the ride.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    k1100t
    Free Member

I fitted a Restrap medium frame bag and top tube bag to my RAG+ last night. I’m about to head out on a ride, I’ll post you a photo of what it looks like when i get back. As has already been noted, I can no longer fit a 750ml bottle on the down tube, but I can on the seat tube.

The AlpKit Possum is much smaller, so maybe looks to be a better option, if you want to meet the event requirement of being able to carry 1.5L of water.

montgomery
    Free Member

Frame bag and side entry cages would be my choice. My half frame bag lives permanently on the bike.
    https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1o6&page_id=571998&v=1f

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’ll take a couple of inner tubes

You are doing it tubeless though right?

Two things you see during dirty reiver. ALOT of people fixing punctures.

Alot of ejected bottles DO not compromise on bottle cages. Side entry cages might be fine but you don’t want to look down and see no bottles.

mrb123
    Free Member

Yes, I’ll be running tubeless but I suppose carrying an inner tube or two will still be necessary.

Sounds like a frame bag might be the way to go. My bike is a fairly big size so hopefully the bottle carrying capacity won’t be too badly affected. As has been said, you’re supposed to be able to carry 1.5l so two big bottles.

burko73

I use one of those passport bottle relocation things on my cotic with a frame bag. It moves the bottle down the tube by a few cm.

damascus
    Free Member

I have a frame bag on my bike all the time (myog perfect fit but it’s xl frame so lots of space).

When I need extra space I add a saddle bag. If I need more I add a stem bag and a Handlebar bag which also acts as a map but it isn’t very aero.

The benefits for me are I can access my frame bag while riding and it doesn’t have to be waterproof as it isn’t directly in the way of water. It’s also a bit more aero but can make side winds trickier.

tall_martin

Frame bag over any other location for me 😀

iainc

If frame bag make sure you put on helitape or similar on contact points if you want to still have paint..

tjagain

A frame bag is often easier to get things in and out of. If you want a cheap one to try I can recommend the ibera ones. Only seem to be available on amazon unfortunately
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ibera-Bicycle-Triangle-Frame-Large/dp/B006JA8WEG/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&hvadid=79989502583524&hvbmt=bb&hvdev=c&hvqmt=b&keywords=ibera+bags&qid=1578823158&sr=8-9

martymac

If worried about the security of water bottles/cages, you could always go full size frame bag ang put a bladder in there.
    I can put 2x1L nalgene bottles in my frame bag, because it’s central you barely notice the weight when riding.
    Also means you don’t need to worry about sheepshit on the water bottles.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Sheep doo doo? That brings Giardia. Watery diarrhoea…

Had a similar problem with Horse poop, the Elite Corsa comes with top caps that keep it clean. Take a bit of finding. The plastic bit is still a pull with your teeth job that could be expensive at the dentist. I think the Camelback Podium’s are better in that regard – you just squeeze it and it comes out the soft mouth piece. They do one with a cap, called a Dirt version that would be worth searching out. The cap is smaller than the Corsa Elite one that covers the whole top though.

https://www.shopelite-it.com/en/spare-parts-bottles-and-bottlecages/bottles-spare-parts/cover-cap-for-corsa-bottle

If it’s a bit ‘contaminated’, Mudhuggers front and rear will keep the poop out of your eyes as well as keeping your fork stantions clean (less servicing) and a dry butt if its wet.

Looked at my Swift (L) again. 19″ frame I think. Two 750ml Corsa Elites fit. The one on the seat tube just pushes in, snug to the bottom of the full length frame bag. You’d have to measure yours obviously, but although its a slight wiggle pushing it in, it can’t fall out easily. I use a smaller one on short rides.

Full frame bag and a bladder & pipe you wouldn’t regret having. Tools, tubes, decent pump, repair kits and tyre levers, keys, Iphone, a few spares, Pertex windproof top and a thin fleece and my Restrap is stuffed. Fine for inclement day rides, anything more and a bigger frame bag would be just betterer.

mrb123
    Free Member

Do you have the medium or large Restrap bag Milfordvet? Any opinion on which to go for of those two?

k1100t
    Free Member

Here you go, Restrap frame bag (medium), on a NS Bikes RAG+ (medium).
    Restrap frame bag

mrb123
    Free Member

Thanks k1100t. Looks great.

Just measured my bike (a 58cm Croix de Fer). The top tube is 53cm from seat tube to head tube so would accommodate either the medium or large bags which are quoted as being 400mm and 500mm long respectively.

milfordvet
    Free Member

Swift

https://milfordvet.tumblr.com/post/190221837802

I’ve a large Restrap frame bag in a large Swift and 58 Roubaix. Looking again i can see that the seat tube bottle cage i swapped for a side opener to wriggle the 750ml bottle in, after finding i couldn’t get a big bottle in easily. Elite cannibal xc i think and the normal one on the down tube a ‘custom race’ one. Scuse the level bars – bad back. Swift is about 55 between tubes, Roubaix 51 ish, you could prob get a large in. Croix must have more seat tube than a typical mtb.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Saddle bag V frame bag’ is closed to new replies.