Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Sacha Baron Cohen makes a good point
  • darthpunk
    Free Member

Worth a listen. And it turns out, it’s the first time I’ve heard him talk in his own voice:

footflaps

Very impressive!

molgrips
    Free Member

Did he even look at the autocue?

PJay
    Free Member

Excellent! Does he want to be PM?

Ironic though that this speech isn’t only likely to get the coverage it really, really deserves because of social media.

Harry_the_Spider

Impressive.

thered

Outstanding, should be shared all over social media.
    You may say that we should all close those accounts but lets be realistic it won’t happen, education is the key.

chrisridesbikes
    Free Member

Good listen, thanks

scruff9252

That was an impressive speech.

OmarLittle
    Free Member

That is excellent

avdave2

Thanks for posting that.

stumpy01

Can’t really argue with that…

Will be sure to share on Facebo….oh, wait a minute ;o)

andybrad

THAT WAS REALLY VERY GOOD

martinhutch

Excellent. That’s how you talk to an audience.

Predictably, Youtube comments are turned off…

Greybeard
    Free Member

Worth a listen, or as I prefer, a read (much faster) – you can read the full transcript on
    Watch Sacha Baron Cohen’s ADL Speech Taking On Social Media Giants: “The Greatest Propaganda Machine In History

But, what do we, as electors, do about it?

AlexSimon

Did he even look at the autocue?

Yes, he’s looking at either of the two screens most of the time. But it doesn’t take away from the very well structured and impressive speech

DezB
    Free Member

He made a heck of a lot of good points.

nickc

Thanks for sharing. Great speech

Kryton57

THAT WAS REALLY VERY GOOD

+1

zippykona

My new favourite person.

downshep

Accurate and articulately delivered. Given the online antics of the Conservative Party this week, don’t expect Social Media regulation anytime soon.

leffeboy

That was really excellent, and facebook is exactly where it should be shared.  I can’t believe we are relying on comedians to present well reasoned beautifully delivered arguments but unfortunately it seems like these are the only folks who have the visibility to promote these messages now 🙁

ads678

That was great, really powerful.

Everyone should see that. I can’t disagree with any of what he said, but apart from this place I dont do social media.

johnx2
    Free Member

…and I only do it in 5 minute bursts so there’s no way I’m going to get through 25 mins of video. Text is here if you scroll

Don’t scroll too far though or you get to the comments. I saw something about china, internet censorship, okay to troll if you’re on telly. That sort of thing. So whilst I agree, being in the same bubble, with the points, I really can’t see them cutting through.

funkmasterp

That was excellent. Thanks for sharing OP

mercuryrev

Absolutely superb speech and in the light of the fictitious tory party twitter accounts, doctored videos, misleading websites, very topical.

MoreCashThanDash

Properly impressive. Thanks for that

senorj

👍⭐️

mulacs

Powerful stuff

drewd

That’s the best thing I’ve watched this week, thanks for sharing.

bowglie

Wow. Thanks for sharing.

Waderider
    Free Member

Spot on. Another thing politicians aren’t dealing with.

Philby

Brilliant speech and so perfectly delivered. Boris could do with some lessons from him on how to get a message across clearly without coming across as a bumbling buffoon – as someone earlier posted Sacha for PM!

rone

He’s an actor. Of course he can deliver a good speech!

mooman
    Free Member

Whilst I can agree with a lot of what he says; it is overlooking that people can, and should be able to, make their own choices. There has never been as easy to access information and knowledge as it is today with the internet at our fingertips.
    I don’t agree with censoring things we may not agree with. I feel it’s better to see or hear these things and make our own informed decision on them. He seems to be making the assumption that people are too thick to be able to do this for themselves … that in itself is a scary road to go down.

Kryton57

Yes mooman but people don’t.  We assume that what we read in the news etc is real, current and about to happen.  Sure we can make choices but this isn’t about “Facebook told me this, I can press the yes or no button” it’s often about the subtle influences that colour our daily lives.

Kids, teenagers, uneducated people and people with little time on their hands to study – bear in mind the pace of life today where “snowflakes” are a great example of wanting and therefore accepting everything immediately delivered to them – May even dismiss the headlines but the seed gets planted and grows everytime that a similar trend or topic is experienced.

In some respects Cohen is right – immediate and obvious negative content should be removed, and posting should be delayed but what what be milliseconds in this technical age to avoid murderous, terrorist and anti-humanity content.  But filtering out more subtle detail is much harder.   But then would you trust the regulator?  The paranoia circle may change but not break.

It’s a difficult area but these platforms have global reach and influence, whereas our brains have not grown far beyond managing content within the four walls of our abode, and therefore it changes our perception of our extended locale to be based on fear and digitally implanted stereotypes.

molgrips
    Free Member

He seems to be making the assumption that people are too thick to be able to do this for themselves

It’s not that people are thick.

The evidence shows that everyone is susceptible to confirmation bias. The issue is that campaigners are exploiting this innate tendency of humans.

faerie
    Free Member

I’ve experienced racism and bigotry regularly; not just the in your face stuff that people feel entitled to express on the bus or in the shop queue but the subtler stuff said in conversation at work, in the pub or on social media. People feel they can justify their prejudices because it’s a joke or they’re entitled to their opinion, even if the facts suggest otherwise. If you challenge it you’re dismissed as a snowflake but the right to freedom of speech comes with responsibilities, like being informed and respectful. We often use the excuse that we’re being honest to explain perspective and ignorance towards those we see as others, without realising the consequences and that it perpetuates harmful stereotypes. That’s how we get away with saying or suggesting that a particular group of people are thieves, rapists, stupid, ugly, drug addicts such as travellers or or people of colour, especially online where you have the freedom of anonymity and security through detachment.

ampthill

I enjoyed reading that.

My longest standing friend has a pot on her patio Sacha bought her as a present. It was to say thank her for being his tutor whilst he was doing history at Cambridge

convert

Superb

scotroutes

Excellent. My only reservation is that he ignored the role of the traditional media. I don’t think it can be that easily dismissed. Take, for example, the DM and its influence on Brexit, or the BBC giving so many opportunities to Farage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Sacha Baron Cohen makes a good point’ is closed to new replies.