Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • S W Scotland routes…
  • twang
    Free Member

Any pointers to some natural trails around kirri and s w generally? Not much in guide books apart from fire road gruellers. Ta in advance

Trekster

davy_g can sort you out for Kirry
    Young Dave at the Breakpad shop at Kirry knows a fair bit around there to
    Galloway Hillbillies are the club from that area or Stewartry Wheelers.

If you want something like this, OS78 is your friend 😀

twang
    Free Member

Cheers trekster, thats more like it. Is galloway forest worth exploring or is that the land of the fire roads? Shall pop in and ask though. Cheers

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

if its been dry for a bit start in drumlanrig and do the wanlockhead goldrush trail- go up to the radar tower and down the spine / river

Trekster

trail_rat – Member
    if its been dry for a bit start in drumlanrig and do the wanlockhead goldrush trail- go up to the radar tower and down the spine / river

2nd pic down, Enterkin Burn descent from the radar station.
    Started by getting train from Dumfries to Sanquhar.

Is galloway forest worth exploring or is that the land of the fire roads?

Living in Dumfries my old/original riding buddy and I gave up on the Galloway Hills when we found the Lakes 💡 There tends to be a lot of boggy stuff in the Galloway hills. There are quite a few walks in the area which could be explored but be prepared for lots of hiking and getting lost!!
    Lowther Hills out of Drumlanrig, Sanquhar or Durisdeer are definitely a better option

The top pic is a hike`a bike option from Ae traihead. As is the last one. 3rd one is SupW out of Moffat/Wamphray
    Have another route out of Moffat that requires circumnavigating a locked gate over a railway line 🙄

You staying/living/holidaying in the Stewartry Twang?

twang
    Free Member

I’ll give the forest a miss then..
    Riding in lakes this weekend and while I’m in the (relative) neighbourhood and I’ve got nowt on at work, thought I’d have myself a bit of a road trip 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Trekster, I wish I had a pound for every time you’ve used the phrase ‘OS78 is your friend’ 😉

Trekster

should see the state of it, need a new wan 🙄

wang – Member
    I’ll give the forest a miss then..
    Riding in lakes this weekend and while I’m in the (relative) neighbourhood and I’ve got nowt on at work, thought I’d have myself a bit of a road trip

Whereabouts in the Lakes?
    Was down there(Windermere)last week walking and the week before biking, 5hrs in and around Grizdale from Ambleside.
    If you are travelling up the Lowthers are your best bet. More tracks on the map(except 1, shows as dead end but is`nt)
    OS78. Start at Durisdeer, ride past the graveyard and follow the farm track all the way to the top of the hill. Then it`s a hike up to the boundary fence followed by a loony descent down to the Daer Res. Pick up the Southern Upland Way across to the Dalveen Pass road. Left along the tarmac till you come to a radio mast on left. Take and follow farm track which is an old Roman Rd. Cracking descent from the bothy half way along 😆

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Start at Durisdeer, ride past the graveyard and follow the farm track all the way to the top of the hill. Then it`s a hike up to the boundary fence followed by a loony descent down to the Daer Res. Pick up the Southern Upland Way across to the Dalveen Pass road. Left along the tarmac till you come to a radio mast on left. Take and follow farm track which is an old Roman Rd. Cracking descent from the bothy half way along

John, d’ye fancy showing me this soon?.

twang
    Free Member

Cheers for info trekster, os 78 will be bought in the am! First time in scotland so looking forward to dipping my toe… Doing helvellyn at weekend which is another first! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘S W Scotland routes…’ is closed to new replies.