Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Rylands, Lever etc- so you bequeath your estate
  • hora
    Free Member

Question, I have a very hazy understanding. I was watching a programme last night and John Rylands was brought up. I didn’t realise that Longford Park near me was his estate with a huge house in the middle of it that was bequested to the people(?).

Heres the great house today:

and in 1977

What happened?

🙁

Rivi was left to the people? Todays its now a private company via the utilities sell off.

Anything else?

IHN

What’s the question?

scaredypants

IHN – Member
    What’s the question?

[quote] hora – Member
    Anything else? [/quote]I’ll start: Porridge was lumpy this morning

Harry_the_Spider

Another sad example.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philips_Park,_Prestwich

House lived in until 1946.

House pulled down in 1950 and turned into a car park with a dog poo bin.

hora
    Free Member

So the Lodge was the gateway/entrance?

The entrance road would have then snaked down (across the M60 before it was there) then up through to the carpark?

Actually I bet it was more level and the engineers dug down abit to keep the M60’s path level?

Harry_the_Spider

The lodge was moved brick by brick when the motorway went through. The old big house was on the car park where HTN Mission Control used to be. The orangery is listed so it can’t be pulled down but it can be boarded up. The stables are still standing but are derelict.

The problem was that the council couldn’t afford it so it was pulled down before it fell down. I guess John Ryland’s house was the same.

hora
    Free Member

Cynical me but the council love building new civic things for themselves.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Rylands, Lever etc- so you bequeath your estate’ is closed to new replies.