Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)
  • Rutland Cycling customer service woes
  • ThePilot
    Free Member

No caps, no swearing but a bit of a rant nonetheless.
    I ordered some tights from Rutland last October. I try to avoid the bother of sending stuff back so looked at the measurements carefully and read the reviews. Decided on the L and ordered them. Sadly they were too big so I sent them back.
    After a few weeks, I realised I hadn’t had a refund so I contacted Rutland and was told they hadn’t received them but asked me to provide proof of postage.
    I thought I’d lost it because in the time period I had moved house. But after some searching I found it and photographed it and emailed Rutland.
    This I was later to learn only meant that they would look for the item at the depot.
    Anyhow, they still couldn’t find it and advised me to contact Royal Mail. I did that and got a letter back saying they had delivered the item on October 24 at 10.10.
    I photographed the letter and sent it to Rutland.
    In fairness, they did refund the money adding, “sorry it’s taken so long to sort out”.
    I said, seeing as it was their error and they’d put me to a whole lot of bother, they might want to do a bit better than that. They were then generous enough to make an “exception to their normal policy” and offered me £20 in reward points.
    Now I’m not sure how reward points work but I suspect you have to spend a certain amount to claim them so to save the bother I asked them to send me some pedals (£41 on Rutland but Evans have them at £20.99 and they promise to price match).
    That was on Tuesday (not long admittedly but this has been going on since late October and I was hitherto keen to get it resolved) and I’ve been ignored ever since.
    So, if you want to pay more than you need and get crap customer service, Rutland is the place to shop!

rockhopper70

I bought my bike from them and they were spot on in my experience.

I got the reward points which is, effectively, cash in a wallet. Just deplete it as and when. I’ve had an airshot type thing and a tyre for “free”.

They also topped up my points with a contribution of the difference when they further reduced the bike I had bought, from the price I paid and I was a bit miffed that my price was a “limited time sale price”.

I really can’t complain about them.

Dickyboy

I take it you’re getting the pedals for nowt?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    sarawak
    Free Member

I’ve used them in the past and they have been spot on. I’m not totally sure that OP isn’t looking for problems. Sounds a relatively trivial complaint.

wwaswas

They’ve offered you £20 and you’re having a rant? Tough crowd.

That was on Tuesday … and I’ve been ignored ever since 2 clear working days? Tough crowd.

Jamie
    Free Member

I said, seeing as it was their error and they’d put me to a whole lot of bother, they might want to do a bit better than that.

I normally roll my eyes at some on here who seem to accept bad service/products as if it’s no issue, but I would never think to go ask for compensation in this scenario.

Not making any judgements, just interesting.

p.s:

I said, seeing as it was their error and they’d put me to a whole lot of bother

Had they tho? Couple of emails/photos?

ThePilot
    Free Member

Glad other people have had positive experiences.
    Not looking for problems, just telling it how it is.
    If some people think that when a company **** up, they do the bare minimum to rectify the situation having made you jump through numerous hoops, well we clearly think differently.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@ Jamie
    Maybe that’s why companies are able to get away with what they do.
    Just a thought.
    And yes, in my opinion, it was a whole lot of bother. I wouldn’t have said so if I didn’t think so.

sarawak
    Free Member

The weather has turned bad.
    Lots of snowflakes about.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I think you’re forgetting the first rule there, sarawak

Jamie
    Free Member

well we clearly think differently.

Yup, and that’s fine. Glad you got sorted.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

I bought a Giant Anthem from Rutland with 35% off retail, but it didn’t come with any pedals.
    I phoned them up and said this bike doesn’t have any bloody pedals.

They concurred and pointed me in the direction of the product description which clearly stated that it was supplied without pedals.

He then said he could send me some free pedals anyway to get me up and running.

Which he did, and they arrived next day.

Basturds

ThePilot
    Free Member

@ I didn’t. No £20, no pedals. I simply got my money back. Pretty sh*t customer service imh and snowflakey opinion

rene59
    Free Member

I like a bit of a bad customer service thread as much as anyone, but that doesn’t sound bad to me, fairly decent actually.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@ thegeneralist
    Yes, I must have missed the bit where they said in the returns section: we may deny having received your returned item until you have provided us with irrefutable proof and then we’ll begrudgingly refund you three months later with a cursory sorry about that. Silly me.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@Rene59
    If you’d agreed with me, I really would have been worried.

TheGingerOne

You returned the item and their returns policy states ‘It is your responsibility to ensure that the item is returned to us in a safe and secure manner, we suggest that you use a recorded postal/courier service.’ It is your responsibility as the sender to chase up with Royal Mail as to whether the parcel was received, not theirs.

The reason they wanted proof that you sent it back is probably because they have to deal with far more fraud cases than cases where they have made a genuine error in their returns processing system. It is fair enough to ask for proof that the item was sent and received than it is to just assume that you are right and they are wrong.

Once you proved that, they refunded you. What’s the problem? They very kindly offered you some reward points which they didn’t have to do, but you don’t want that, you want effectively cash. I’m not surprised they are ignoring you as they offered you compensation out of their kindness and you have not been gracious enough to accept it – in my opinion.

ThePilot
    Free Member

I knew someone would be sad enough to go into the returns t&c’s.
    Good for you, TheGingerOne

sarawak
    Free Member

Well you are screaming about their lack of service. They did what they told you they would. They followed their T&Cs which you would have willing quoted if they had fallen down on following them. That is not good enough for you. You are looking for trouble.

This thread isn’t going the way you wanted it to, is it?

ThePilot
    Free Member

Screaming? I wasn’t aware that you could hear posts on websites. I was clearly wrong.
    I can’t comment on the rest of your comment, it’s a bit jumbled to be honest.

As for the way the thread is going, I didn’t want it to go one way or the other.

I refer you again to rule number one as well as perhaps some grammar lessons.

funkmasterp

WTF – You’ve just described good customer service there. I’m lost? They couldn’t find the thing you returned therefore asked for proof, you provided proof and got a refund. Yeah it took a while, but it got resolved and nobody died.

Do people now just expect free shit when mistakes happen? Genuine question.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Genuine answer: No I wasn’t expecting free stuff. It would just be nice if people took responsibility for their mistakes. In the absence of this, I thought accepting free stuff was the next best option. Never going to be any improvement if we all just roll over and accept sh*t service.
    But if you want to accept this type of service while paying over the odds for goods, then go for it.

mattbee

I assume your local paper has asked you to stop writing to them about the parking situation on your street, giving you the free time to post this?

sarawak
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the rest of your comment, it’s a bit jumbled to be honest.

Well all your comments are a bit jumbled. Nothing you have said makes sense. You come across as a professional moaner.

funkmasterp

But you didn’t get shit service did you. That’s the point. You got service as described in the t’s & c’s which is just fair. You should try shopping with Tredz it would probably break you.

ThePilot
    Free Member

@mattbee
    I see where your username comes from. A real sting to that comment!

ThePilot
    Free Member

A snowflake and a re-moaner, that’s me
    Never had a problem with Tredz but thanks for the tip.

transporter13
    Free Member

Op.. In real danger of sounding like a drama queen I’m afraid. From what you’ve described (unless I’ve read it wrong) it seems that you’ve been given pretty good service. I also have had things not go quite to plan when buying from Rutland cycles but they’ve always been very good to me when I’ve spoken to their customer service team.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Snowflake, moaner, drama queen…
    Any more for any more?

funkmasterp

Ooh….professional whiner or a Meldrew? 😉

matt_outandabout

I posted a set of brakes back to them for warranty.
    They sat with Rutland, who lied by saying ‘not our issue, Madison can take a while’.
    A fellow forumite who works for Madison was able to confirm they had not received my brakes.
    Suddenly they were posted, Madison turned them around in 48hours (fair play!).
    It took a further week to get them back from Rutland.

5 weeks it took – and three different lies from three different people.

I’m not buying from them again – I had bought two bikes and a few hundred pounds of clothing, helmets, tyres etc from them over a couple of years.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mods – can the thread title be changed to something like ‘excellent customer services from Rutland Cycles’

At least then it would be accurate

Jamie
    Free Member

No I wasn’t expecting free stuff.

What exactly where you expecting when you told them:

I said, seeing as it was their error and they’d put me to a whole lot of bother, they might want to do a bit better than that.

As from a service point of view, and lacking a time machine, what else could they do if not give you something gratis?

stevestunts
    Free Member

You don’t need to spend an amount before you can use the Rewards points; they are basically credit to use whenever you like. You can pay for an entire transaction in Rewards points if you wish.

They’ve effectively offered you £20 by way of an apology, but you can only spend that £20 with them. That doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

funkmasterp

But, but pedals. He wants a more expensive pair of pedals 🙁

iainc

I bought a Defy from them for my son about 4 years ago. The fork developed a creak after about 6 months. They arranged a pick up from LBS, also a Giant Dealer, swopped the alloy fork for a carbon one, and all done in under a week, at no cost to me. Brilliant service in my case.

rOcKeTdOg

blimey, next you’ll be asking for a free cup of water

ThePilot
    Free Member

@ FunkyDunc
    Genuine question: If you describe what I experienced as “excellent customer service”, how would you describe iainc’s experience? Surely you are going to run out of superlatives?
    FWIW, I agree that iainc did indeed get excellent customer service.
    I honestly don’t know how people could describe what I experienced as that.
    I’m sure there will be someone who will come along and tell me how wrong I am but I guess it’s just down to different expectations.

thelordhumungous
    Free Member

I used to work at Rutland water cycles many years ago, cleaning hire bikes, when it was just a wooden shed. Good times.
    Also, you asked for free pedals for no reason and are annoyed you didn’t get them, hah!

Cougar

Let me see if I’m understanding this correctly.

You bought tights in the wrong size.

You returned them.

They got lost.

The supplier asked for proof of delivery. Reasonable as they have no contact with the courier, they can’t do that directly.

You provided proof.

They went “fair enough, we’re really sorry” and refunded you.

You complained, “that’s not good enough.”

They gave you twenty quid credit as a gesture of goodwill.

You placed an order using that credit.

You then hit the Internet *three days later* to have, quote, “a bit of a rant.”

And now you’re getting defensive and ad hominem with anyone who disagrees with you.

No?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 72 total)

The topic ‘Rutland Cycling customer service woes’ is closed to new replies.