• This topic has 1,256 replies, 205 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Pook.
Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,257 total)
  • Rushup edge resurfacing
  • Pook

Incredible news, but it’s just the start. This has shown what we can do when we pull together. Let’s keep up the pressure.

Bunnyhop

Alison – that’s great news.

MartynS – there was a good quality video way back ^^^, maybe page 3.

Edit: posted on page 6 by chambord

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

That’s made my day that has.

Well done everyone who has been supporting the cause, keep it up.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Great news, but let’s keep pushing. If we’re lucky, they won’t do any more but it’s still going to need a miricle to get rushup back.

dannyh
    Free Member

Seriously well done to all those who gave up their time to get this catastrophe halted. I doff my (biking) helmet in deference!

As above, let’s keep pushing this. It is one thing to get a temporary halt, it will be at least as hard again to make that permanent, and probably as hard again to get the buggers to remove the crap they have dumped there.

Remember that this is now about embarrassment and pride for the likes of Peter White. He will be back, and he will try to put the knife in properly. He’s tried to stiff everyone once, I wouldn’t mind betting he will do it again.

If we push hard enough we may just get Rushup Edge back, and Mr White might get told to pull his head in in future.

mintimperial

Good news, a promising start, at least the buggers have been forced to sit up and pay attention. 🙂

woody21
    Free Member

Has work restarted or have they held off pending the PDNPA meeting?

fasternotfatter
    Free Member

Good news!

But this doesn’t mean that we have won yet. The work has been stopped, now it needs to be cancelled and put back to how it was. If DCC want help reversing the damage I will be more than happy to help.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

A good post on friends of the Peak two posts down, like, comment and share if you can…

https://www.facebook.com/friendsofthepeakdistrict

The kind of organisation that looks after the landscape…

“About
    We are the only independent local charity working to look after and improve the amazing landscapes of the Peak District.
    Mission
    For the countryside, for communities, for the future.

Our vision is of a living, working countryside that changes with time, but remains beautiful forever
    General information
    Friends of the Peak District is a local charity that works to protect the beautiful landscapes of the UK’s first national park.”

Sandwich

Remember that this is now about embarrassment and pride for the likes of Peter White. He will be back, and he will try to put the knife in properly. He’s tried to stiff everyone once, I wouldn’t mind betting he will do it again.

And that’s the crux of it. He had his nose rubbed in it in court by a cyclist (the judge) and this (the repair) is revenge for that set back.

We’re into “the price of liberty is eternal vigilance” territory.

Onzadog
    Free Member

And that’s the crux of it. He had his nose rubbed in it in court by a cyclist (the judge) and this (the repair) is revenge for that set back.

Sounds interesting, what did I miss?

pk13

Well done to everyone. Keep up the pressure

ivorlott
    Free Member

@Onzadog
    <clicky>
    Last para in the answer to the first question, but whole thing is interesting reading, if you didn’t see it before.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks. I’d love to know more of the story behind that one. However, I’d imagine the whole trail being rough is easier to defend than a smooth trail with a single large pothole/errosion rut running down it.

I think dcc are making a rod for their own back.

Sandwich

From the “attack is the best form of defence school” how hard would it be for us to allege official misbehaviour due to the section 56 case? It’s an extreme way to ensure DCC think about their responsibility to consult in the future.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Force them to blow their entire budget rebuilding the old A625?

iain1775
    Free Member

Sounds like they are getting an extra £2.5million funding to fix more potholes paths

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/POTHOLES-Derbyshire-County-Council-set-2-5m-grant/story-23774166-detail/story.html

Onzadog
    Free Member

Have you seen the state of the old A625?

stealthcat

I went back up there today, and although I didn’t go far up, it doesn’t look as though much more, if any, has been done. There were a couple of car/van tyre tracks, but a lot more bike tracks which all looked quite fresh.
    Ok, it was 4 pm when I got there, but if there was work going on I’d have expected more vehicles by the plant store . There were a couple of cars, but they didn’t look official.

Onzadog
    Free Member

So, it looks like rushup edge has a stay if execution but no one can find out when this site meeting is taking place. Wouldn’t an email or tweet to Jim Dixon thanking him for his intervention and asking for rushup edge to be put back be a useful thing right now?

zippykona

A quick contact link to Jim Dixon so we can all do that please.

Onzadog
    Free Member

@PeakChief for Twitter.

redwoods
    Free Member

jim.dixon@peakdistrict.gov.uk

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well, I’ve sent mine.

teamslug
    Free Member

Email of thanks on its way to mr Dixon

cruzcampo
    Free Member

One of the walkers forums posted this in the Rushup Destruction thread, about the TRO’s and an interesting insight into the area and the resurfacing..

Onzadog
    Free Member

Can you summarize for those who can’t YouTube right now please?

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Only 10 minutes in, more coffee required 😆

I’ve just emailed this chap as well 🙂

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/BUDGET-ROW-Derbyshire-County-Council-s-pound-12m/story-23769736-detail/story.html

crazy-legs

What would be really good would be a joint letter from PDMTB written in conjunction with all the other interested parties and sent to DCC. Shows a united front and if PDMTB, BHF, BMC, Ramblers, PDNPA (who seem not to have been informed about this work) can all put their signatures to one letter it adds considerable weight to it. Strength in numbers (as the PDMTB FB page has demonstrated!)

nbt

Onza, that youtube link is a BBC programme – “Tales From The National Parks S01 E02 The Peak District”. It’s about the perceived conflict between local resident and motorised users of green lanes. Mike Rhodes is featured 🙂

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve sent him a thank you e-mail too. I doubt this will be the last we hear of it however.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m sure it’s not over but now is the time to forge alliances against a common enemy.

Pook

Plans are afoot.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Exciting! Can you say any more? Need a hand?

Pook

Lots of phone calls and emails at the mo. Pulling strings together really. Letting a bit of dust settle.

teamslug
    Free Member

While everyone from the area ( and beyond) is united about this issue wouldn’t it be a good idea to sign up your support for PDMTB. A bigger representation of the MTBing community will hopefully give them more clout when it comes to discussing things with other interested/uninterested parties. I dont live in the area but we travel there regularly.

crazy-legs

Letting a bit of dust settle

Cover the dust with a load of aggregate, that’ll keep it all in place…

😉

Onzadog
    Free Member

don’t forget dumping the tarmac chipping on top just because it’s cheaper then sending them to landfill

amodicumofgnar

There is definately a common view of this ride amongst people who ride bikes and horses.
    From the Kinder Circuitpromoted by Peak Horse Power. It’s worth noting the comments about the route:

iconic new long-distance and challenging riding routeThis is a VERY CHALLENGING but very rewarding ride. The Loop is rugged and strenuous in places so you and your horse need to be fit and prepared. Sections of the route follow rough paths across exposed moorland. The bridleways used in the Kinder Loop are often stony and steep because of the very nature of the countryside they are set in.Peak Horsepower only recommends this ride for riders who are experienced in long-distance riding and who have riding, walking or cycling experience on rugged terrain.

Compare this with the comments made regarding the nature of the route and requesting authority to spend on Chapel Gate.

This phase of the works will deal with the badly eroded section at the south-western end of the route. Deep ruts and erosion by water has made the route extremely challenging to use by all classes of user.

This may have been done somewhere on the other 19 or so pages. If not – this is from the Rights of Way Improvement Plan for DCC. Statements about approach to maintain character. Although this thread has a lot of anti DCC going on – the Rights of Way Improvement plan does have a lot about increasing and linking bridleways. It’s just very one size fits all. What is really needed is much more thought about horses for courses so to speak.

2.5 Landscape Character

The Landscape Character of Derbyshire
    The RoWIP operates across a broad range of Landscape Character Types as
    defined by the Landscape Character of Derbyshire 2003 publication (due for revision in 2013). Landscape is the result of the way that different components of our environment, physical, natural and historic, interact together and are perceived by people. Over the past five years, this area of work has gained in importance as we increase our awareness of its significance in Derbyshire. Landscape character is the mechanism for assessing and describing landscape diversity based on these particular components so that we can ensure that any of our access work is better able to respond to site context and local distinctiveness.

Areas of Multiple Environmental Sensitivity (AMES)
    AMES are broad areas of landscape that have been identified as being sensitive with respect to a range of environmental datasets. This is a new area of work whereby areas are defined using the Derbyshire landscape character assessment as a spatial framework for reviewing data relating to biodiversity, the historic environment and visual unity (the ‘intactness’ of the landscape). Those areas 12 assessed as being the most sensitive, with respect to these environmental datasets, will be the most susceptible to significant change. Those areas that are defined as the least sensitive are the areas that have the potential for more change and, in particular, change that can help to deliver a range of environmental benefits which will provide strategic Green Infrastructure and bring about enhancements for landscape character and local distinctiveness. New access schemes will be developed within the context of this work.

Pook

Latest DCC update on Chapel Gate.

Chapel Gate
    Chapel Gate
    We’re currently carrying out maintenance work on Chapel Gate near Castleton to fix problems being caused by water erosion and to make sure it is accessible for all countryside users including walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

Many areas of the path are in a serious state of deterioration and work is needed to prevent further damage and make the route safe. Currently, many people are unable to use Chapel Gate because of the rocky ‘steps’ which have evolved due to damage over time.

We realise the Peak District National Park is an area which is close to many people’s hearts and they feel very passionately, as we do, about its protection and maintenance.

There will always be some people who are not happy with the work we do to maintain and repair our rights of way. Mountain bikers prefer challenging, rockier routes, whereas these might not be suitable for horse riders or walkers.

But we have a legal responsibility to make sure the routes we look after can be enjoyed by everyone.

We carry out maintenance on paths in the greatest need of repair or with potential to benefit the greatest number of users.

The work at Chapel Gate was approved by our Cabinet in November 2013, as part of our Green Lane Action Plan. It has been discussed at the Peak District Local Access Forum (opens in a new window) which includes representatives from a range of countryside user groups and advises us on matters relating to outdoor recreation, rights of way and access to the countryside. The work is expected to be complete by the end of 2014.

Work is currently planned on a section of the route stretching around three-quarters of a mile. This work is expected to cost around £30,000. Additional maintenance may also be carried out to improve the lower section of the route.

Viewing 40 posts - 641 through 680 (of 1,257 total)

The topic ‘Rushup edge resurfacing’ is closed to new replies.