Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Rushmere, seems finished but needs riding in…
  • ampthill

I don’t know how official it is but it loks like Rusmere is now open. The car park was open and the trails sign posted. There are 2 “technical” desecents but the berms are very sandy indeed so they will need alot of riding in and rain

We road out from Leighton Buzzard did a bit of Rushmere (actually our second visit) then into Oak Wood, then back through Rushmere.

The amount of riding in Rushmere isn’t huge but with the prospect of linking Oak Wood and Woburn it offers alot of potential. I’d not been ridden the cycle trails of Oak Wood before todat. Its a seperate permit to Woburn which seems a bit crazy.

Blurboy
    Free Member

So is it any good then,compared with say Woburn?

ampthill

I think its more of similar. Which is good

showerman
    Free Member

yep went to stockgrove to get permit today(must be getting to old wanting to be legal when up woods) ranger was telling us about all the new trails.once we paid for permit droped the bad news permit only coverd woburn need different permit for rushmere and oakwood 😯

ampthill

Does Rushmere need a permit, maybe that sign isn’t up yet. We went past a post said permit needed as we went from Rusmere to Oak Wood

I don’t really mind paying but I think a slick online service that covers it all would be good.

ampthill

Monday morning bump…..

jedi

i never been there. where is it??

ampthill

Its here (well thats roughly new road entrance)

link

Thinking about it last night the run we did last yesterday was probably longer than the Woburn play bits. It had 2 very small “jumps” but loads of berms. Its very soft at the moment but Oak Wood school where my in laws live has a pump track made out of the same sand. That was crazy soft at first but now its fine. Apparently the runs were designed by the same guy who did the pump track

jedi I though of you in Oakwood. We found two great little 6 inch drops leading into a berm. It had a sign next to it saying “please do not adjust as it is used for training”. It certainly worked for us…

timmys

Looking forward to checking the trails out. According to some tweets I saw a few weeks ago Ian Warby, Clive Forth and Oliver Burton were responsible for building the trails.

jedi

any directions?

ampthill

Drive North up the A5. Turn left at the Flying Fox pub sign posted to Leighton Buzzard.

In Heath and Reach carry on straight were the Leighton Buzzard road swings left up the hill. I think this sign posted to Rushmere.

Its sign posted on the right 1 km after this. It says you have to pay for parking but apparently thats not true at the mo

I’ve seen a paper map of the trails but have no idea where to get one

There is a map link in one of my posts above as well, but that just shows the entrance

jedi

i may pop up and see next week 🙂

showerman
    Free Member

getting a play area there to as per woburn so i was told yesterday in rushmere

timmys

I went to have a look round Rushmere today for the first time. Even after a bit of rain the newly built bits are still very, very soft.

I’ve not been to Rushmere/Oak Wood before so I’m not sure if any of the bits I rode at the Oak Wood end are new or not, most of it definitely wasn’t as the singetrack was barely rideable due to the amount of brambles over growing it at the moment! Is the bit with the training drops and berm mentioned above new or is that old? I certainly seems to be in the area of gpx tracks I’ve seen on line that referred to the “Trek Trail”?

Personally I can’t see myself heading there often as there’s so much more, and so much more varied stuff over at Woburn. If you want to do a long ride then yeah, linking it in with Woburn would work but it looks to me (from map not experience) that it would be a lot of bland bridleways / roads to link the two. I’d rather just spend the time in the Woburn area as the singletrack is a lot more interesting.

I didn’t see anyone else on a bike while I was there on a Sunday morning so on the up side you pretty much have the place to yourself!

I tried to get a pic of the map in case it’s useful to anyone;

(Open the image link in a new window for a full size version)
    I think Green = Bridleway, Pink = Walking path, Blue = Family cycling route, Red = “Trail” cycling route

Where I explored (covered most of the red trails);

A couple of pics;

Some of the new trail. Far left (in shadows) is the end of a decent, middle (to the left of the post near middle of pic) is a new climb. The other newly cut path on the right is a walker only trail.

Top of a decent (the one ending in the previous pic). Believe it or not there’s a reasonable sized drop between me and the tree that the camera seems to have totally eaten!

Two small drops into berm – mentioned in previous post. Is this new or old?

ampthill

Are 2 months on and had not noticed the up date which is helpful

Thats the drops and berms I don’t think that they are part of the new Rushmere trails

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Rushmere, seems finished but needs riding in…’ is closed to new replies.