Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Running – what is a reasonable time to complete a half marathon in?
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve decided that I’m going to run the Silverstone half marathon in March. It’ll be my first one and have set a time of sub two hours.

A mate of mine who has run a couple now reckons that I’m being too ambitious. I got into running at the start of the year in an effort to get fit and lose some weight. I slacked off over the summer as I rode more, but am starting to run more again.

I ran 6.5 miles yesterday in 58 minutes, but didn’t run that well. I felt like I had no energy and felt like I was running through treacle, so reckon I could take a good few minutes off that. I’m also doing two short runs mid week of around 4 miles at a faster pace with a view to introducing some sprints.

I’ve got five months to get fully into the swing of things, so am struggling see how 2hours is not achievable. A quick Google search suggested that an average time was about 1:50.

crispo
    Free Member

If you put a good amount of training in then Sub-2 hours is very do-able!

I decided to do my first marathon this year. Entered in April and ran it last week. Did a little bit of running in may, june, july (10k/week) and then really upped it in Aug, Sept, Oct (40km/week). I managed my marathon in 3hr 37mins. Went through the half in 1hr 40mins.

I am 25 though so do have youth on my side!

hammerite
    Free Member

Don’t worry about what a reasonable time is for others. You have time on your side and if you train well then do the best that you can do.

Certainly if your 6.5 mile time is anything to go by then sub 2 hrs should be achievable (I always race faster than I train). Just remember though that training isn’t a race, keep your long run pace down, around a 60-90 secs per mile slower than you want to race the Half Marathon in.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Perfectly doable with 4-5 months training. I’m a proper plodder and did the Birmingham half in 1.55 last year, it’s relatively hilly too and I’m very much an on/off runner.

flip
    Free Member

Easily done in sub 2 hrs, my first was 1.45, then 1.37 then 1.28 all in a couple of years, running max 50-60 miles a week.

richmtb

If you properly put some training in then no reason why you can’t do it in sub 2 hours.

If you are already running 10k in less then an hour then you have the basic pace to do it. Just put the miles in an you will be fine.

I absolutely hate running BTW but I got roped into one half marathon and I managed it in just over 2 hours with about 3 months half hearted training.

wwaswas

max 50-60 miles a week

That’s quite a lot of running 🙂

wallop

Have a look at the training plans on the Runners World website. Sub 2 hours is easily doable if you’re prepared to train.

marcus
    Free Member

IMO 1:30 is a reasonable pace for someone who wants to consider themselves a runner. If you dont want to be considered a runner, it doesnt matter

Spin
    Free Member

ran 6.5 miles yesterday in 58 minutes, but didn’t run that well. I felt like I had no energy and felt like I was running through treacle, so reckon I could take a good few minutes off that.

How you feel on any given day is often a poor indicator of your performance. Just because you ran that distance in that time and felt bad doesn’t mean you can do it quicker.

surfer
    Free Member

75 minutes

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds achivable OP.

I’d get started with the training tho, 5 months is not long, and you can’t just jump into 30 miles a week as you’ll get injured.

EDIT FWIW I got 3:36 in my first marathon after 6 months training (w/injuries!) after being a fairly fit cyclist.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Do you do long rides on your bike? Are you used to having to dig deep to finish long rides, etc?

If so, personally, I reckon you’ll nail 2 hours. I’m not a runner really but I decided a while ago to do a half marthon and with very little in the way of training (and by that I mean, none) I did a 1:45.

The only way I was able to plough on was that I’ve done a bunch of 24 hour solo races, a load of 12 hour races, 105 mile sportives and assorted long rides.
    If you’re used to doing this sort of stuff to your body then you know how to grit your teeth and get on with it, plus I think mentally two hours is no real issue if you’re used to riding for 8+. Especially if you consider that your cycling fitness alone will probably get you to beyond an hour without too much effort.

If you just went out and ran 6miles with no prior training then you’re obviously pretty fit already, give it a go, I bet you suprise yourself and your running buddy.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I did it in 1hr 51mins when I was 42 and I’m not a runner.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My daughter ran her first half marathon in 1hr 50, and she’s a girl MTFU 😀

smogmonster

Under 2 hours is very achievable. I did a 1,32 in my first half a few years ago having hardly run for the previous 17 years. My missus did a 2,15 at this years Great North Run with no training whatsoever.
    Go for it, half marathons are great fun.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Used to do upwards of 4 half-marathons per day. Obviously they’re called Snickers these days though. TAXI!

IanMunro
    Free Member

74 minutes.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Don’t listen to all that, there’s clearly some Paul Ryan style time reducing going on.

A genuine ‘pro level’ athlete will complete a half marathon in around about 2 hrs 43 minutes.

richmtbguru
    Free Member

I did it in 1hr 23 about 7 year ago, I was at my fittest and also competed to a high level in rowing, I could do 50 pull ups in 70 seconds, 100 push ups in 2 minutes! if you put the time into your training I’m sure you’ll achieve a good time. But training alone won’t be enough, I have very good genes and my father was an Olympic champion and even trained with Daley Thompson. 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

73 minutes.

Blackhound

If its your first enjoy it. Times do seem to have got slower over the years for all but the elite. 20+ years ago I ran ~85 loads of time with a pb of 82.09 and I used to finish way off the pace. It is a much more respectable time these days.

bensales
    Free Member

I hate all this “I ran 1:30 on no training, it’s easy!” bollocks. It’s not that easy for some. I’ve had to work hard to gradually chip my half time down from 2:36 18 months ago to a 1:46 in Birmingham the other week. In this time, I’ve been running regularly up to 50 miles a week and getting my weight down from 16 to 14 stone. My first marathon was in the period at 4:58, and no matter what anyone says about their first marathon, it’s always bloody hard. Those who can go sub-4 straight out are actually a pretty select and fit bunch. Fit people often don’t think they’re as fit as they are.

To the OP, your 10k time sounds like you’ve got it in you to do a half sub-2, if you put the training in. Remember if you look at the time prediction calculators they all carry the caveat of “trained for the distance”. That means actually running up to 13.1 miles in your training, with a fair few runs around the 10 mile mark. Gradually come up to it, raising your weekly mileage by 10% each week doing your long runs at 30-60 secs slower than race pace (which needs to be give or take, 9min/mile for a sub-2).

Good luck.

Edric64
    Free Member

I did one half marathon in 1 .36 and hated it even though that is apparently quite a good time about 18 years ago.I ran 8 miles a couple of times in training but found it boring.

cinnamon_girl

Do some off-road races – now that really is FUN. 8)

emsz
    Free Member

2 hours is a great target for a half marathon. Good luck, and don’t forget to enjoy it!!

running max 50-60 miles a week. That’s quite a lot of running

It’s not really, for a runner, that’s about average 8)

IanMunro
    Free Member

Uh huh.

flip
    Free Member

Used to do upwards of 4 half-marathons per day. Obviously they’re called Snickers these days though. TAXI!

Genuine lol, i have one every day and still call em Marathons.. But i am 43 😉

chiefgrooveguru

It massively depends on your personal physiology. Some people are good at lifting heavy things, some people are good at running long distances fast, etc… With training you can become much much much better but if you’re not naturally inclined that way it won’t be easy.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Cheers peops. As I said I got into running in January to try and get bike for after being a fat Biffer for a couple of years and not riding and realised that I quite enjoyed it so figured I’d give myself a target and an aim. Hopefully this will keep my motivated and focused.

I don’t do many mega long rides, usually up to 5 hours or so due to work etc. Was planning to keep to a schedule of sharpish, fast runs Tuesday and Thursday and then my long run on a Saturday or Sunday (whichever day has the worst weather). I was told by someone who does a fair few full marathons to try and add a mile to my long run every other week.

My mate is still totally convinced that I’ll never do it because he can’t.

Duggan

Sub 2-hours is easily achievable, just have a look at the training plans online and pick one that suits you.

As you have time on your side as well, make sure you only ever increase distance by 10% each time to avoid injury.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Running – what is a reasonable time to complete a half marathon in?’ is closed to new replies.