Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Running shoes- recommend me a pair
  • stumpy01

Forget what brand, what model and all that….as already suggested here get yourself to a shop where they know what they are doing.
    Tell them what you are intending to do and tell them how much you have to spend. They should be able to find you something suitable.

I use Advancve Performance in Peterborough for my running trainers and it turns out that I pronate a bit, but not excessively. I tried various shoes and the bloke was convinced that some Sauconys I had tried would be about right, whereas some Brooks that I was recommended (GT7s perhaps?) would be too much for me. But we tried them and they were better than the Sauconys. They were the same price as well, so the bloke wasn’t trying to fleece me and after trying every pair on a treadmill he reviewed some video footage of my running gait to show me why he was trying different things.

thomthumb
    Free Member

as with bikes fit is very important.

joemarshall
    Free Member

I go to Run and Become in London. They are great – they watch you run, look at the shape of your foot, and come out with two or three pairs of shoes, of which one usually will fit.

Last time, she down-sold me from a pair costing £80 to a cheaper pair (50 or 60 quid I think).

I’ve had a couple of pairs from them and both have been fine for going running, and I haven’t injured myself.

Joe

molgrips
    Free Member

You might as well ask ‘what bike, size, stem length, saddle height?’ and see if you get a single answer.

“You want a 19″ Kona Four with a 90mm stem and with the saddle brought forward a bit and the bars rotated away a touch. That’s the best setup for everyone.” 🙄

hora
    Free Member

Just bought my first pair. Saucony Progrid ride.

http://www.saucony.co.uk/shoe/shoe.php?id=280251?search=current

The gait analysis showed I had a neutral-pronated- the word is? TBH there was a top of the range pair of Sauconys at £90 that were comfier but I plummed for the Progrids at £67. Good idea? I dont want to be a AGNI before I’ve even started running properly or do you think get the best possible for your knees etc now? Will they last a couple of years? Worth the extra?? I have post-purchase doubts!
    Made an ass of myself in the shop. He was trying to explain the diferences in pronation with runners who run on the instep/knees flailling so I said ‘ah! you mean run like a big girl’! Que tall lady at the till who turned round and scowled and me thinking best not to try and explain a way out of my hole….

pk-ripper
    Free Member

You’ll be fine with them Mark, I wouldn’t have bought the £90 ones from the running you’ve told me you’ll be doing.

In terms of lasting, if you keep them stored well (dry, and out of direct sun) they won’t degrade as fast and so it’ll be your mileage that’s the deciding factor. Realistically you should get about 800 miles out of a pair which if you’re not training for a particular distance event should be easy.

Top tip – get some 1000mile socks next time you’re near the running shop – they’re nice to run in.

hora
    Free Member

Will do. Ta ante. Looking at the grips on the Saucony trails they would be overkill for more roadrunning. They just look ‘better’ 🙄 …darn the fashion-tart in me!

TinMan
    Free Member

One final thing – each brand has a particular shape of foot that they fit. So I can get on with certain brands and not others.

And just when you think brand X is the one for you, they will change their shape by the next time you go to buy, so you really have to go to a shop and try each & every one!

If you are really tight, you can try on in the shop, then go to http://www.sportshoes.com, but by the time the shop has been really helpful, you should want to give them money 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Tinman, the runningshop told me something that I didnt know so paying slightly more than internet prices was well worth it! 🙂

zaskar
    Free Member

You can get free analysis then buy the cheapest pair of shoes for your feet.

Personally I rather protect my knees for old age than skimp out on cheap trainers.

But then we’d have no zimmer-frame races!

Buy some flip flops-you’ll be fine. Get some XTR titanium race knees when you’re 90 yrs old you’ll be fine! 😈

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Running shoes- recommend me a pair’ is closed to new replies.