• This topic has 40 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by tekp2.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Running Shoes
  • trailwagger
    Free Member

I`m thinking of running a couple of mornings a week to help supress the lockdown flab.

Don’t want to spend a fortune on kit as I doubt it will be a long term thing, so what kicks can you recommend around the £40-50 mark?

superlightstu
    Free Member

thats like asking what bike for £2k with no info about usage or terrain :). Shoes are also like saddles in that one person’s perfect shoe is a real pain for someone else depending on your gait and width of your foot etc, so random suggestions probaly aren’t much help

theres a couple of online running retailers (from memory there’s one in the “gives money to stw” sticky thread at the top of the forum) that tend to offer big discounts on previous years’ models. Although there don’t seem to be many bargains around at the moment, I guess either due to Covid or Brexit, which meant my recent pair were the most expensive ones I’ve ever bought in over a decade of running.

Otherwise Decathlon seem to have some cheap shoes, so you could take a punt on one of theirs in your shoe size and price range.

sirromj

Sorry can’t help, but there’s been quite a few shoe recommendations in the Running thread recently, think there’s some for that budget. Might need to scroll back through a few pages.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    johndoh
    Free Member

Find a pair you like on the Sports Shoes Direct site sale section.

I ended up with a pair of Saucony Guide for £60 and they have been great. I will certainly buy them again, even at full price.

loum
    Free Member

The ones that fit best.
    If you can hang on 3 weeks, get yourself to one of the outlet villages and try on last year’s models from Nike ASICS Adidas etc for about half the price of current. If it’s more urgent, go online to Nike/ASICS , check out their SALES, and by a size up on your normal school shoes size a bit, with 30 day return period.
    Nike Pegasus, ASICS gel cumulus might be a very general starting point but more info helps.

loum
    Free Member

And sportsshoes.com

lunge

Reebok Floatride Energy 3 can be had for about that much and are very good for the money.
    Nike React Miler are also a good shoe, though you rely on a sale to get them at that price.

If not, my standard suggestion is a good pair of neutral shoes from a big brand, Nike Pegasus, Brooks Ghost or ASICS Cumulus are good start points.

dashed
    Free Member

Sign up to Nike Club or whatever it’s called (on their website – it’s free). Free returns. Try a bunch on see if anything works for you.

lunge

Sign up to Nike Club or whatever it’s called (on their website – it’s free). Free returns. Try a bunch on see if anything works for you.

This. They actually let your run in them too, they don’t have to be pristine when you return them.

failedengineer

Another vote for sportshoes.com. Just decide whether you need cushioned or support shoes (there are at-home tests you can easily do) and buy whatever’s on offer. they don’t last long, so why spend a fortune, unless you must have this year’s colour? Saucony and Asics have always been good value, IMHO.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

It’s so personal. I just went to the local running shop and got fitted out for decent ‘proper’ running shoes and paid the price – about £115. I didn’t want to take the risk with injuries.

A mate of mine who is notoriously stingy just got a cheap pair from the sales – some Nike shoes I think, and ran with them. Within a few week’s he was having knee issues and before you know it was laid up for 4 weeks or so recovering before he could run again. During that time he splashed out about £80 on a proper pair (in a sale again) and since coming back he’s been fine with no sign of a return of that injury.

Since then he’s worn the cheap Nike shoes for a long dog walk and commented on how crap and uncomfortable they felt compared to his newer shoes and couldn’t believe he was running on them.

Having said that I know people who run alot and don’t care about their running shoes and will run in anything and have no ill effects. It’s a personal thing.

My first pair of runners were Brookes. I replaced them with some Asics. I prefer the Brookes and will go back to them when the Asics get worn. But again, its a personal thing.

surfer
    Free Member

Nike Pegasus would be my go to shoe unless there was a good reason not to. Neutral, Great cushioning, good quality and the outersole is great for almost all terrains. I dont even run in them anymore myself as I have arthritis in my toes so run in Hokas but have ran in Pegasus since they were launched. Ran in every other brand as well over the years but always kept coming back to Nike.

johndoh
    Free Member

It’s so personal. I just went to the local running shop and got fitted out for decent ‘proper’ running shoes and paid the price – about £115. I didn’t want to take the risk with injuries

Whereas my first running shoes were bought online and I trained up to and completed a 1hr 45min half marathon in them (I was a complete non-runner before starting training for it). My second pair were properly fitted and were rubbish – my feet slid around, I got hot spots and pins & needles in them. A few pairs later and I now know which brand suits me so I just stick with them.

(I appreciate you accept this can be the case for some people – I just had a poor experience with ‘properly-fitted’ shoes)

lunge

My view on giat analysis in running shops is well known in the running thread, and it’s less than complimentary. My fitting gave me a pair that we OK at best, and not really the shoes I needed.

Many shops offer free returns, order a few pairs and see what feels comfortable.

ajc
    Free Member

Running shop is best place to start if you have a good one locally. Good staff should be able to look at your feet and how you stand and then give you a few suitable options to try. The last shape can vary massively from brand to brand and also one style to another. Whatever you do don’t buy them as tight as you would a normal shoe and build up mileage very slowly.

jeffl

Like people say it’s personal. What’s the charge spoon of the running world 😀

When I started running a couple of years ago and lucked out with some Decathlon shoes which seem good for me. I’ve ran a half marathon in mine.

Oh also think about where you’ll be running. So road, trail, hills as that will have an impact. I’ve got these which work on most terain https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/run-active-grip-men-s-running-shoes/_/R-p-100428

cynic-al
    Free Member

And if you don’t run just now, ease I to it, couch to 5k etc, or you’ll injure yourself and blame the shoes and have to buy new ones.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I always buy saucony guides which juts work for me. Normally I buy the previous year’s model in whatever lurid colour is left over and pay £60-70 rather than the £120 that they are new ad I get thorough 2 or 3 pairs a year.
    This year though I have noticed that there is a distinct lack of bargain running shoes available from my go to websites of Sportshoes or start fitness.
    I think everyone started running during lockdown and there’s no excess stock from last season.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Our local sports shop has been doing home delivery and a basic door step/online consultation through lockdown. Limited range and options being a small sports shop and they were expensive (but an xmas present from the Mrs).
    Got Brooks Ghost – no idea how they compare to other brands, but my god, compared to my old trainers it’s like night and day. Knee pain gone, shin splints gone etc.
    Useless post and no help to the OP, other than to say old trainers bad/new trainers good.

lunge

Got Brooks Ghost – no idea how they compare to other brands

Really good shoe, not in any way glamorous, but generally seen as a good, well cushioned, comfy shoe. An excellent choice.

johndoh
    Free Member

I always buy saucony guides which juts work for me. Normally I buy the previous year’s model in whatever lurid colour is left over and pay £60-70

Are you me?

will
    Free Member

Over the years i’ve tried lots of different models from Nike, Saucony, Asics, Reebok and Adidas.

Currently have a pair of Decathlon Kalenji Run Active shoes for the grand total of £24.99, on 946 miles. Reckon they’ve probably got another 300 miles in them before i’ll get another pair. Best shoes i’ve owned.

surfer
    Free Member

My view on giat analysis in running shops is well known

Snake oil

lunge

Snake oil

Correct

jambourgie
    Free Member

Totally, like so many things there are always people ready to tell you that if you don’t do so and so or spend ££££ on gear then you simply won’t be able to run.

I’ve been running for years. I generally find anything comfortable works. I will say though that you should take into account your current fitness/weight etc when choosing. When I’ve been running regularly and am in good shape I like the minimalist barefoot shoes like FiveFingers, VivoBarefoot etc. I’m just getting back into running after spending last year lying on the sofa stuffing takeaway into my face, so I’ve switched to ultra-padded Nike Air Max ’90 which are usually used just as a day to day general footwear.

vanilla83
    Free Member

johndoh
    Free Member
    Find a pair you like on the Sports Shoes Direct site sale section.

I ended up with a pair of Saucony Guide for £60 and they have been great. I will certainly buy them again, even at full price.

Why are they half price (on some colours) compared to the brand + nearly every other website? Looking at Nike Pegasus if it makes a difference

lamp
    Free Member

Speak to the girls at https://runningbear.co.uk/ they’re super helpful and can guide you in what you need.

They deliver too!

johndoh
    Free Member

Why are they half price (on some colours) compared to the brand + nearly every other website?

No idea, but I have used them many times (as others on here have) without issue. Just buy different sizes if they have them and return the unwanted ones in one go to make things easier.

surfer
    Free Member

Shoes seem to have increased in price a lot recently and >£100 shoes were unheard of only a few years ago however given they are the only piece of equipment that you have to have that is specific to the sport I dont understand why anyone would penny pinch (unless they really cant afford to of course) Save money where you can by all means but there seems a satisfaction in buying the cheapest product available. Ran in all kinds of rubbish shoes when I was a junior and senior in the late 70’s and early 80’s when shoe tech was awful. Now I run a fraction of what I did and at a snails pace. I have no problem buying quality shoes and running is generally quite a cheap sport.

surfer
    Free Member

This was the pinnacle of running shoe technology when I was a junior and they were crap

Aztec

These were better

Chariot

But it wasnt until these came along than “cushioning” was really invented IMO. The air heel (as it was in the original) transformed running for me and many others.

Pegasus

So many things in distance running have regressed imo or at least plateaued. There is little new under the sun in training terms but when I see new shoes like this I think it is positive and wish we had them when I was younger. I would have been sidelined with stress fractures etc much less and would definitely have run much faster.

New Pegasus

lunge

I have no problem buying quality shoes and running is generally quite a cheap sport.

Hmm, I did the calculations on this recently.
    I get 350 – 400 miles out for a pair of shoes
    I run 3000 miles per year
    So that’s 8.5 pairs of shoes per year at £100 ish per pair (most are less, but 1 or 2 pairs per year are more), £850.
    Bit of kit every now and again (socks, shorts, t-shirts, whatever), £250 ish.
    Race entry, 8 races at £20 each average. £160 maybe?
    Box of gels and bars couple of times per year, £100.
    Travel and the odd bit of accomodation at big races, £150 ish?

£1500 a year I reckon, and I suspect I’ve been conservative there.
    So not mega bucks, but not cheap.

superlightstu
    Free Member

@vanilla83 the main reason for the heavy discounting will be because they are previous seasons kit. If the model number/name is the same then its just the colour scheme that changed, sometimes there has been a model update but as a general rule these are small changes as most manufacturers would release any major change with a different shoe name.

You can google the different model numbers too as many reviews of this years kit will compare it against the previous iteration for the mainstays from the major manufacturers (e.g. Saucony Guide, Nike Pegasus, Brooks Ghost etc)

surfer
    Free Member

I seldom buy running clothing it lasts years and years and the stuff I throw out is usually because it starts to smell when clean. I usually get a few months out of a pair of shoes (I rotate them so have them knocking around for most of the year)
    You could ditch the gels…

I never said it was free I said you need 1 piece of specific kit and that is what contacts you with the ground. much of the rest is gravy including watches etc. I cant do anything about the extortionate costs of “big” races because the ones I focused on where largely free. Regional Xc leagues and track races, Northern Xc, national (Inter Counties if I qualified) and local (cheap) road races.

vanilla83
    Free Member

@superlightstu Cheers. I bought some new shoes yesterday as a result of this and the other running thread. Haven’t had new running shoes in about 10 years!

dogbone

Premier Iconj4mesj4mes
    Thanks for that link! Just saved me £10 off some Inov8 TRAILROC 270 Trail Running Shoes. My Saucony Peregrine trail shoes have gone back under warranty as they have a hole in them after just 2 months (& 250km).

lunge

I seldom buy running clothing it lasts years and years and the stuff I throw out is usually because it starts to smell when clean. I usually get a few months out of a pair of shoes (I rotate them so have them knocking around for most of the year)
    You could ditch the gels…

I don’t begrudge the moment the money I spend, running gives me a huge amount of pleasure and I know I could spend less.
    Shoes are the biggest expense my far, but I like news shoes so I’m fine with that.
    Gels I use very sparingly, I take 1 if the run is over 15 miles as anything heavier messes with my guts.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I’m giving up until I can get to a shop now. As of this morning I now have 5 pairs of shoes waiting to be sent back. My requirements are basically “do they feel comfortable when I put them on?” Two managed to pass that test, but one pair is too big and the other too small (i think) for running in. The pair i suspect are slightly too small are too expensive to take a risk with as I’m only a casual runner in the absence of other options.

nickjb
    Free Member

Some good deals at Nike

Eg Pegasus 36 (blue olny) for £58.78

https://www.nike.com/gb/w/sale-shoes-3yaepzy7ok

Extra 20% off with march21 code, and free delivery. You need to register for the extra 20%. The run club is actually pretty good imo.

lunge

Some good deals at Nike

Eg Pegasus 36 (blue olny) for £58.78

I have a pair of these on there way, it’s a great price for a very good shoe. They have some older Vomero’s in some sizes too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Running Shoes’ is closed to new replies.