Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Running route generator – does it exist?
  • theflatboy
    Free Member

Anyone know if there is such a thing as an online route generator that doesn’t track your existing route, but does the opposite (i.e. you tell it where you want to start from and how far you want to go and it handily gives you a route of exactly that distance)?

if there isn’t such a thing, there should be. someone make it please, if not. thanks.

druidh
    Free Member

mapmyrun
    bikeroutetoaster

theflatboy
    Free Member

do they do it that way round? sorry if i’m being dim, i’ll check them out (assuming the second one exists!). thanks!

theflatboy
    Free Member

i don’t think MMR does what i want – you can click through your entire route and it will save it/tell you how far it is. what i want is just to tell it where to start and how far and it to give me the route. you get me?

Sandwich

Garmin connect will do this on road. Trailrunner if you have a Mac also does it.

theflatboy
    Free Member

trailrunner being Mac software? any ideas if there’s a PC equivalent or online option?

soobalias
    Free Member

you want it to map you a route

circular, out and back, onroad, offroad, avoiding toll roads?

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah something like that!

druidh
    Free Member

theflatboy – Member
    i don’t think MMR does what i want – you can click through your entire route and it will save it/tell you how far it is. what i want is just to tell it where to start and how far and it to give me the route. you get me?

I’m sorry, but how on earth is that going to work?

theflatboy
    Free Member

well sadly i’m no mapping/computer genius but it doesn’t sound complicated to me… 😕

if the gps in my car can work out the quickest route from edinburgh to london is it any harder to work out e.g. a 5 mile loop round roads starting from my house? (obviously give or take a few hundred metres).

i assumed it would be available somewhere already, hence the question.

uplink
    Free Member

Can’t you just use something like Gmaps Pedometer and create your own route?

you get a running total as you go along so isn’t difficult at all to tailor the distance

theflatboy
    Free Member

yep but i’m too lazy/unimaginative. ironic, isn’t it? 😆

druidh
    Free Member

Easy innit;

(a) Choose your start point.
    (b) Work out how far you want to run.
    (c) Run for exactly half that distance
    (d) Turn around
    (e) Run back to the start

theflatboy
    Free Member

hehe, that is obviously true as well. i’m more thinking that with the prospect of a marathon in my mind, the thought of doing endless training runs would be made simpler if i can just get a generated 14 mile route and set off!

druidh
    Free Member

If you go on to mapmyrun, you can search for routes other folk have done. Put in a locality and it’ll list them.

ojom
    Free Member

Just use endomondo to map it our before you go. It uses G Earth so you can plot it all out then it can obviously record it for you.

As druidh says, i used to just run out t a point say 4 miles away and then run back. 8 miles bosh.

Other tip – run to work. You presumably will know how far that is.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i’ll give that a shot, cheers. though i still think my idea should exist!

theflatboy
    Free Member

This:

http://www.routeloops.com/

does it. 🙂

jota180
    Free Member

Superb 😕

For a 10 mile run from home, part of the suggested route was 4 miles of dual carriageway

theflatboy
    Free Member

did you select it on walk mode of transport and avoid highways on the right?

jota180
    Free Member

Yes to both

It also seems to always want me to do a loop to the East of home no matter how many times I ask for a new route.
    I usually tend to go West as it misses the dual carriageway 🙂

theflatboy
    Free Member

ah right. it’s a bit shit then. 😆

jota180
    Free Member

It’s taken you nearly a year to come up with that and it fails – I’m disappointed 😉

theflatboy
    Free Member

i was searching for the same thing again and both that and this thread were in the top few googly results 😆

IanMunro
    Free Member

IIRC the latest garmin bike computer has got a ‘I feel lucky’ function which does what you want.
    Not that this is much help to you. 😀

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Running route generator – does it exist?’ is closed to new replies.