Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running: Recurrent torn calf muscles
  • arogers
    Free Member

I’ve been a runner since I was a kid. Used to be competitive and have done marathons etc. Over the last few years I’ve had some knee and ankle injuries so haven’t been running as much as I used to. In the same timeframe I seem to have been getting more and more frequent calf muscle tears. Both legs but more often the right.

These days it seems like every time I run the damn things tear. Today I went for an easy-pace jog and only got a mile or so down the road before the familiar tightness started. I walked for a bit, trying to keep warm and letting it settle. Tightness eased so I gingerly broke into a slow jog again and “ping!” it went completely.

Has anyone else had similar issues and found a cure?

I start off at an easy pace, don’t run if I’m cold (though I often run in cold weather). Stretching doesn’t seem to help (if I try to stretch it out during a run when I feel the tightness I think it actually makes it worse). Do things like Deep Heat work? My instinct is that it’s snake oil but I’m prepared to try anything!

uphillcursing
    Free Member

This happens to me too.Everytime I try to start running again the calf muscles fight back. Current thoughts are some real slow build up via couch to 10K app or something might be the way forward.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I’ve had peroneal tendinitis recently and although this doesn’t seem to be what you had improving calf strength and flexibility helped me. You’ll surely be aware of stretches etc but if not there are some in this article:

https://www.healthline.com/health/fitness-exercise/peroneal-tendonitis-stretches

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

If you’ve ran competitively, you may be aware of a decent sports physio used by local clubs etc?.

Go see her/him.

Quite often injuries recurring like this are a symptom of another issue, pelvis, core etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You need to see a decent physio. Also how old are you ? As you get older stuff like this can be a weakness for many many months.

Don’t stretch until you have seen a physio

richardk
    Free Member

Is it always the same leg that goes? If yes, you need a physio to help you strengthen the other leg.  I had the same, and it was due to my right leg being stronger causing me to over rely on it and put too much effort through it (subconsciously).

program of strengthening exercises for the other leg to fix it, then keep doing strengthening exercises to ensure you don’t lapse back.

and welcome to getting old, you’ll also need to warm up more…

MoreCashThanDash

I had similar a month or so back when I tried the C25K when I was off the bike.

Was told it was due to very tight calves, so I’m working on loosening them up and then starting over on week 1

jobro
    Free Member

Don’t forget there are two muscles in the lower leg: the Gastrocnemius and the Soleus. Generally they require a different stretch to activate the individual muscles.
    I have exactly the same problem and have had it close to 25 years after a bad Soleus tear. It was entirely my fault, continuing running in calf pain – got my 10K pb though!!

First stop is always a good physio. There could well be scar tissue build up that is not helping. They will also be able to suggest appropriate stretching and strengthening exercises.

Best of luck.

brant
    Free Member

I had a year of it.
    Fixes for me included no stretching. Doing calf raises but not on a step.
    Doing glute exercises to take load of clad muscules (I had terribly poor
    glutes.)
    I’m sure as a seasoned runner you are much better conditioned than me though.
    I’d also transitioned much too quickly to vibram five fingers and was going too far too fast in them.
    Scaled that right back and have just worked hard on very short technical runs which work for me (in terms of enjoyment) and have got much better conditioning.
    I’ve also developed my own shoes as I am stupid and couldn’t find the shoe I wanted.

http://www.f33t.co.uk

View this post on Instagram

For wearing wherever.

A post shared by f33t (@f33tagram) on

Twodogs

This happens to me too.Everytime I try to start running again the calf muscles fight back. Current thoughts are some real slow build up via couch to 10K app or something might be the way forward.

This could be me. Since I got much more into biking 11 or so years ago, whenever I tried to get back to running, I get calf tears. I’ve seen 2 physios, and got conflicting advice. I tried building up slowly , and got up to about 10km then a short way into a gentle run..ping!
    I don’t know what the answer is…wish I did, cos I love running…I’m just starting out again after 18 months of no running.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I’ve also developed my own shoes as I am stupid and couldn’t find the shoe I wanted

Oh nice advertising ! I hope they will be as ‘racey’ (not squidgy soft things) as Inov8 shoes but wider and more arch support and 1/2 the price 😁

shermer75
    Free Member

Sounds like you have got yourself in an injury->reduced activity->deconditioning->return to activity->re-injure due to loss of condition. If you’re keen to rehab yourself then a very gradual reintroduction back to activity is prob best course of action for you. Also, a visit to a physio would certainly do no harm to sort out any possible compensatory bad habits you will have picked up when injured!

arogers
    Free Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I’m 36 and definitely a long way from the shape I was in when running marathons. That said, I’m still pretty active and want to stay that way. It looks like very short and relatively frequent runs could be the way to go. I’ll touch base with a physio too.

Shermer, are there any good resources you could suggest for more info? From memory I think you’re a physio, yes? Apologies if not!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I went from couch to half marathon this year and calf injuries were a problem initially. Have a history of pulling-
    /tearing calf muscles from things like shuttle runs and beep tests in gym circuits sessions so feared a week point. Had a few sports massage sessions and eventually read up on how to use a foam roller properly to self deep tissue massage. They should name them something else as rolling the roller along the muscle is not how they’re supposed to be used. Anyway after regular daily uses of the roller and gently bringing on the running, frustratingly slowly initially, I eventually got over the injuries and completed my half marathon with no issues at all.

I also did a bit of research into running technique too as I felt I was running on my toes too much putting more duty onto the calves and made some changes to my running technique too. Running flatter footed, not pushing off so hard with the balls of my feet, using the quads and gleuts more. Took a bit of practice but now second nature.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running: Recurrent torn calf muscles’ is closed to new replies.