Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Running races this year?
  • marksnook
    Free Member

So probably too many questions on my mind, certainly too many to actually write a sensible title!
    The only bike events I want to do are the ones that won’t happen this year and ones that are too hard to get a ticket for (looking at you Ard rock etc)
    So my mind is on maybe some sort of running event.
    Up first is the maverick cotswolds trail races, there are options of 7, 16 and 23km. I’m guessing first race longest won’t be the one? I can happily run 16km, am running up to 20km at the the moment.
    How serious is it? I mean I’m not going to be in anyway competitive but don’t want to go there just for a fun event when everyone else is out for blood!
    There are then various half marathons, cheltenham, Cardiff etc
    Would like to run a sub 2 hour half which I think I’ve got. Any race better for a first half?
    Any other options other than just going out and running for a prolonged period of time?!

superlightstu
    Free Member

I’ve not run the Maverick Cotswold race series but have run a few trail events and a load of road events. Generally trail ones are more relaxed but both types are friendly and welcoming to newcomers. I wouldn’t be worried about being too slow as most people are there for the personal challenge of completing the distance in their personal target time and unconcerned about the small number of racers at the front of the event.

Just like mountain biking & road cycling, off road events are harder over any given distance – so I wouldn’t go for a 16km off road event as a first event if thats near your limit of comfortable on-road distance at the moment.

The larger the event the wider the spread of finish times, so I’d expect a 2 hour half time to be in the fastest 50% of Cardiff Half finish times as theres over 10,000 runners of mixed abilities, but towards the tail end of a local running club’s annual half marathon event where there may be around 100 very keen runners. The larger events are also more geared for the first-timer as they’ll attract a lot of people who are taking part to tick it off their bucket list or as a one-off charity event, which means you’ll tend to get joining instructions and lots of guides etc. The bigger events also tend to have pacers, and sub 2 hour is a common target, which could be very useful to help you falling into the common traps of starting to fast etc.

The main concern for this year is whether most will be held, but if you enter an event they should give you the option to defer to next year or refund your entry fee in the event its postponed.

marksnook
    Free Member

Yeah I hear what you are saying. Most enduro races aren’t serious all the time so see no reason a running race would be! I have run double digit trail runs and run a ten mile on the road at around 8 minutes a mile consistently. I have more in the tank at 10 miles, never actually run until I couldn’t run any more of that makes sense?!
    The 16km will be a challenge but I don’t think the 7km will be enough of a challenge, unless I ran it as fast as I could, actually that’s probably the idea of race 😂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lunge

You’ll be fine, off road and trail races are generally very friendly.

Also, don’t underestimate how good a 2 hour half is, I reckon well over half, likely 2/3 of a field in a typical road half will be over 2 hours, a trail race will be more still.

If you can run 20km now then doing 23km in a race setting will be a good and very doable challenge, it’ll give you something to train for as well. I’d definitely do the longer one in your shoes. It’s harder off road in some ways, but can also be more enjoyable as the scenery can make it fun.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

The smaller, off road races in summer are most likely to still be on.
    Staggered start for 50 people in a field and footpath – no problemo – staggered start for 1000 people when you only have permission to close roads for mile 1 for 30 mins? Not so much…

stripeysocks
    Free Member

PS look at previous results to see how long people take for peace of mind

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I doubt races will be on this year, they encourage people to travel around the UK and congregate, and if its staggered starts it kind of removes the point IMO.

I much prefer off road races to on road. This is a nice one http://www.wharfedalemarathonevents.com/

People are always friendly, the front end is competitive (but friendly)

marksnook
    Free Member

Thanks all, think I’m going to sign up for the 16km, see how that goes then maybe try and pick up a longer race if i enjoy it. It’s only a month away so limited time to train! I actually find building off road mileage a bit easier as it’s not so much a flat pace, my chilled trail runs are more ebb and flow I guess. It’s pretty hilly around Dursley so I generally get a good bit of elevation most runs
    So after 10 miles at 8 minutes I couldn’t have run a real fast 5km but I felt I had a good bit more in the tank. I’m no super fast hero though!!
    Tempted by a half later in the year, cheltenham is quite late I think.

lunge

If you can run 8 minute miles for 10 then you can definitely get to 13.1 on a race day, even if you drop your pace down to 8:20’s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Running races this year?’ is closed to new replies.