Running out of chain lube – what's flavour of the month?

Home Forum Bike Forum Running out of chain lube – what's flavour of the month?

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Running out of chain lube – what's flavour of the month?
  • Finish Line Wet/green.

Got some Muc-Off Wet too – smells nicer than the FL but doesn’t work quite as well.

hilldodger

Finish Line ceramic wet lube has served me well this wet winter, nice combination of stickability and keeping the chain clean and smooth running.
    Applied sparingly to a clean chain every week (150-200ish miles) I’ve used barely 1/4 bottle since September

Premier Icon leffeboy
    Subscriber

Finish Line used to do a 4 litre container of the green I think it was. If you have a lot of bikes and clean your chain often it’s a winner

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Squirt seems really situational, it’s great in the dry and sometimes even in the wet but other times in the wet it’s just awful.

Before I switched to the putoline wax I was always pretty happy with epic ride- it’s often not the best but it’s never terrible.

doh

squirt convert here, I have several bottles of other lube in the shed that will get used for other things but will never be used on any chain of mine again.
    works in all weathers and conditions for me and doesn’t turn into black grinding paste like most other lubes.
    make sure you apply as per instructions to a clean chain and give the chain an occasional clean with white spirit.

busydog

White Lightning Epic

^^ this for where I ride in the desert (haven’t seen a wet or muddy trail for over a year), but not sure how well it would work in the wetter conditions in the UK.

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Thread resurrection! Anyone using rock n roll extreme on their Road bike? If not what’s a good dry lube for road bikes? Can’t be dealing with black chains anymore

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

Yes in short but just changed as the chain was getting very noisy around the 35 mile mark every ride and by 45 sounded horrendous. Just switched to Fenwicks Stealth road bike lube, have to apply it the day before to let it cure but used it on my commuting bike when I was working and it had good rust resistance too as well as only needing minimal cleaning and reapplication.

Davosaurusrex – I use squirt on my road bike chain.

bikeneil

Pro Gold for me.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

Pedros Ice Wax

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I had some of the muc-off molybdenum lube. Not dry (so didn’t flake off) but lasted ages before going darker.. didn’t get black and gummy at all.

Lost the flippin bottle now tho 🙁

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

The Fenwicks Stealth is very similar IMO to MucOff C3 Dry lube in application and durability and indeed picking up muck etc but I think Fenwicks version just seems to last a bit longer before needing a proper clean.

Subscriber

Suggsey – that is exactly what I would suspected would happen from using it on the MTB and you’ve just confirmed it. Just looked up a few reviews of the Fenwicks Stealth and it sounds like exactly what I’m after so will give that a go, thanks.

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

Your welcome 😉

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Squirt +1! 😀

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

I found squirt was useless come the rain, for fair weather riding only

Premier Icon Speeder
    Subscriber

Squirt for me but I tend to only ride when it’s reasonably dry and it works fine.

Beware of Pro Gold if you have any E13 plastic components on your bikes as it embrittles the material – ie it goes hard and cracks easy. Oh and the rubber rollers on the old chain guides swell up and go all floppy. Otherwise it’s great stuff.

Subscriber

Funny you should say that- I’ve got an e13 top guide on my bike and rock and roll extreme is also on the list of non e13 friendly lubes. Anyone recommend an alternative with similar properties?

Premier Icon marko75
    Subscriber

when i run out I use 3 in 1 oil….. seems to work and keeps everything running until the next shop!

Premier Icon bigjim
    Subscriber

just finishing a bottle of rock n roll extreme and can’t figure out if I like it or not, seems to be an expensive option.

Pedros chainj has been my favourite for years, a proper oil that doesn’t go black and manky like that terrible finish line green stuff.

I’m well known for being a bit picky about chain lubes and I’ve tried a lot of different lubes. I’ve recently been quite impressed with the muc off C3 ceramic, both the wet and dry stuff.

toxicsoks

I’d just started using Squirt as this thread was posted. 3 months on I have to say I’m well impressed with it on both the road and MTB – even in the wet. I’ve found out that you have to a) thoroughly degrease and clean your drivetrain before application and b) apply liberally and leave overnight otherwise it does come off easily in the wet.

fibre

I’ve tried lots of chain lubes, including a lot of the new fangled “best ever” lubes of recent years.

Definitely sticking with ProGold ProLink, can’t believe how much of a difference it made through the winter especially. Didn’t collect much crud and cleaned to spotless with minimal effort. Wouldn’t touch wet lubes again and it was better than wax lubes I’ve tried. Through the drier months I just give it a small amount after every few rides and once in a while pedal it through a cloth with some degreaser on if I’m feeling overly OCD and want it looking like new.

Premier Icon rickmeister
    Subscriber

think we need a graph or pie chart….

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

Another big recommendation for Juice Lubes Viking Lube here. Provided most of the protection of a good wet lube, whilst keeping the chain as clean as most dry lubes. In real wet conditions I use the Juice Lubes wet lube though, which is thicker and does attract more dirt, but it’s still a lot less gloppy than most wet lubes and does a very good job of living the chain too.

Tried some Muc-Off wet lube recently… Absolutely, positively, most definitely the thickest, dirtiest chain oil I’ve ever used! It’s like a magnet for crap. Won’t be using that again that’s for sure!

edlong

Tried some Muc-Off wet lube recently… Absolutely, positively, most definitely the thickest, dirtiest chain oil I’ve ever used! It’s like a magnet for crap. Won’t be using that again that’s for sure!

Pretty much exactly my conclusion! Finish Line wet here (all year round, life’s too short to be changing lubes according to the weather).

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Running out of chain lube – what's flavour of the month?’ is closed to new replies.