Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Running marathons
  • ciron
    Free Member

Probably quite stupid, but I've just entered the Paris Marathon.

Not been able to ride since breaking my elbow and getting an internal ti upgrade fitted in July, so I thought I might as well do something else in the meantime.

Anyone got any tips or training plans?

iDave
    Free Member

never ask on here about training as the advice is usually bullshit

go to somewhere like runner world and find a free program and follow it

and be prepared for the boredom of the long distance runner

Mattie_H
    Free Member

Runners World website for a good training programme OR Bruce Tulloh's Running is Easy for a combination of training advice, motivational speaking and tips for the big day.

glenh
    Free Member

I've never done a marathon, or indeed any long distance running, but I've just agreed to run the 3 peaks (24 miles, 5000ft of uphill) in a couple of weeks. I'm going to train by building up my pie and beer reserve.

doug_basqueMTB.com

Subscribe to runners world and they have a list of training plans according to how much time you can dedicate. There are probably other free ones on the web too.

Sticking to it is highly recommended. 3 of us trained together for one but one of the guys missed quite a bit of the training. At the time it didn't seem a lot. We got round in our target time and he was almost double it so missing a little training regularly makes a big difference in my experience. (He got overtaken by the guy in the deep sea divers outfit when he stopped for a break :-))

Be prepared to be really bored and have your life consumed by monotonous hours running. You'll be gagging for the bike again once you've done it!

Oh yeah. Go and get yourself measured for a proper pair of shoes at a proper running shop, i.e. not a sports shop.

And vaseline on your nipples. That's my best tip! Nobody tells you that 🙁

Good luck!

ciron
    Free Member

I've been fitted for shoes a few years back, but need new ones now.

Thanks for the tips. I've seen some of the plans on Runners World and downloaded a free one which terrified me. Oh well, here goes.

Vaseline on the nipples. Hmmm, sounds a bit like nappy cream for cyclists.

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Google HAL HIGDON, he has a number of training plans. I used his Novice 1 plan and got round Amsterdam last weekend despite missing all of September training due to a severe spannering I dealt myself up at Dixons Hollow in Dalby on August BH Monday. Still managed 4:07 which I was chuffed at considering.

ciron
    Free Member

Cheers Smuzzy. Not heard of those plans and they seem pretty good.

feenster
    Free Member

There's 3 sessions in the week that you should not miss. Your long slow run, which builds up towards 20/22miles. A Sprint/Hill rep session. And a shortish steady fast run. You can do up to three other focussed sessions which could include cross training if feel like it. But this is your core that you should never miss.

RunnersWorld for training plans, distances and paces for different time targets.

Work out a target time, and stick to it, no matter what.

First marathon – be conservative, and respect the distance.

ciron
    Free Member

Thanks Feenster.

Target time is 3:45, based on a 10km time I did a few years ago.

I'm currently running to work a couple of times a week – 7km each way – and want to try and integrate this into my training plan. Possibly as steady or slow runs on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Wednesday can be the interval session. Saturday the long run.

surfer
    Free Member

There's 3 sessions in the week that you should not miss. Your long slow run, which builds up towards 20/22miles. A Sprint/Hill rep session. And a shortish steady fast run. You can do up to three other focussed sessions which could include cross training if feel like it. But this is your core that you should never miss.

This is true. Its straightforward really and the other days can be made up of steady runs.

surfer
    Free Member

Ciron

You may want to try to schedule your long run so that you can train in a group. Thats normally why most people do them Sunday morning.
    I have no problem running up to around 12 on my own but running 15-16 alone becomes a bit like hard work.
    I am not a great advocate of very long slow runs as they become too slow to be useful. My advice would be no more than 18 and only do that a few weeks before.

ciron
    Free Member

Cheers Surfer.

A mate that I ride with has offered to train with me or ride next to me on longer ones, but I might look for a group as well.

organic355
    Free Member

THIS book is great, has 5k/10k/half and full marathon training plans and lots of other good advice, i see there is one used for £1.83, what have you got to lose? (apart from £1.83 that is)

AndyP
    Free Member

Anyone got any tips
    From experience:

1) do some training.
    2) do some stretching
    3) don't try to drive from Manchester to Truro the next day. Someone will have to remove you from the car with a shoehorn.

ChrisF
    Free Member

I'd agree with the 3 core runs thing – a long run, a tempo run and an appropriate interval session, more than 3 runs a week is better though.

Build up slowly – running is a quick way to get injured if you aren't careful or biomechanically sound.

Try and run on soft or uneven surfaces rather than pounding pavements. Don't worry too much about going further than 18 miles, it's fine if you can hack it, but it is a looong way.

ciron
    Free Member

I do a mix of pavement and off road, and am biomechanically unsound. I've been trying to slowly build up distance, whilst also doing exercises to prevent shin splints (I've suffered before).

IanMunro
    Free Member

Build up slowly – running is a quick way to get injured if you aren't careful or biomechanically sound.
    Having added 3 miles a week for a month to my long run, and now hobbling with some torn knee cartilage, I'd have to agree 🙂

surfer
    Free Member

Ciron

I suffered with shin splints and stress fractures in my younger days. Try to run as much as you can on grass. Easier said than done now the nights are dark but particularly as you are building mileage be careful of shin pain. Dont try to run through it if you experience any.
    Keep your calves supple by starting your runs slowly and stretching afterwards.

ciron
    Free Member

Thanks all.

nicko74

I just did my first, at the end of last month. I found a 16-week training plan on runnersworld and as I had my running gear anyway (including well-fitting shoes), got started. Running shoes are crucial – expect to pay £60-90 for them, and get them fitted at a decent running shop; also consider getting them half a size larger than you would normally (if the shop doesn't suggest it). Check out socks from runningbear – they rock – with a combination of New Balance shoes and RB socks I got 0 blisters and lost 0 toenails.

Also, build up to the start of the training schedule – I went from one 8-mile run a week to 3 runs a week, and rapidly developed shinsplints. After that I found that one long run a week is enough to get you round the marathon, but not quite enough to do it well! 🙂
    Apart from that, try to enjoy it, and good luck!

RepacK
    Free Member

No idea but yeah try a running forum & the best of luck!

29erKeith
    Free Member

This got me through my first marathon a few years back
    only goes up to 18M for your long runs. Got me round in 3:48
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Non-Runners-Marathon-Trainer-David-Whitsett/dp/1570281823/ref=pd_sim_b_5
    pay postage and it's yours (about £3) PM me if you want it

Change your routes, parhaps pick up some nice xc routes that you'd do on your bike, just get out and explore.
    It's not all as dull as dish water as some make out.
    book up a few local races 10K's, 10 Miler's and at least one Half Marathon

ciron
    Free Member

Cheers Keith

YGM

I'm prepared for it being duller than riding, but hopefully more fun than turbo sessions.

roper
    Free Member

There is lots of good advice here but would like to add that long distance running does not have to be boring or hard work. If you choose your routes carefully it can be a great way to explore a new area, town, forest or mountain. As you run through the months you get to see all the subtle changes through the seasons and it can be a good way of understanding where you live.

It is also great for clearing the cobwebs in your head and just relaxing. Also if you have ever fancied learning something new like a language, put some lessons on your ipod and do other things while you are running.

All the best for your training.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

I am not a great advocate of very long slow runs as they become too slow to be useful

Probably the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard !

Smee
    Free Member

I once drove Edinburgh to Nice non-stop, apart from ferry and fuel stops, starting the evening after i'd ran the edinburgh marathon. wouldnt really recommend that.

higgo
    Free Member

Some good advice above to which I'll add the following:
    – join a running club
    – don't spend the night before your first marathon on an airbed that goes down every half hour
    – don't plan on doing anything that relies on you walking down stairs on the second day after the race.

surfer
    Free Member

I am not a great advocate of very long slow runs as they become too slow to be useful

Probably the biggest load of rubbish i have ever heard !

Really? You may need to get out more!
    Training needs to be specific, once the pace has dropped to below a certain level the benefits overall become lost. Unless you advocate walking as a form of training for a marathon? I would not and my experience has been largely focused on my own efforts to achieve a reasonable marathon performance (sub 2:35)
    There is also a high correlation between mileage (and number of runs due to warming up and down) and injury. Slow running simply increases that risk without providing a corresponding training benefit.
    As a result little "training" is done above 7 minute miling. Anything below is simply for warm up and down at the end of a hard session with a view to preparing the body for the next session.
    There is a lot of misinformation spread about the benefits of "slow" running by people who conveniently misunderstand the concept as advocated by Lydiard whose definition (as well as the athletes he coached) was no slower than 6 minute milling and these "slow" runs were long ones. Shorter runs were done faster again.
    Maybe now you can substantiate your statement?

surfer
    Free Member

Rodderscrambler. Was it you that won the Duathlon on Sunday? If so well done. I look forward to your reply as above.

roddersrambler
    Free Member

Rodderscrambler. Was it you that won the Duathlon on Sunday? If so well done. I look forward to your reply as above.

Yes it was surfer thanks.

I agree that quality sessions are essential.In fact without them you will always remain a sunday morning plodder.However to run any distance of 10k plus you will need a base to work from.High mileage to develop leg strength and endurance is essential.I believe without this base you will never reach your potential.
    Your sub 2.35 is quick(very) but could have been quicker with a base.
    You can't tell me you ran that time off the back of track sessions.You can run as many 1.50 800m efforts as you like but this will be terrible preperation for a marathon.
    First marathon or simple completion goals should be about respecting the distance.After this you can look at getting quicker and this is only possible with your quality sessions.
    Remember the OP has not run for a while.Many short runs close to max effort will just bring on injuries.You are spot on about quality,but i would suggest that this is only useful once you have gained the base….he won't have any.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Running marathons’ is closed to new replies.