Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running faster advice
  • trb
    Free Member

I know that running can be a repeat thread, however I seem to differ from the normal “being fit enough to knacker your legs” that seems common warnings on here.

I did a sprint tri at the weekend and my 5km time was 29:30, which is quite simply a bit rubbish. I want ro be running 26 minutes or less, but I just can’t seem to run very fast. As soon as I run, my heart rate goes sky high, I get a stitch and I’m taking piddly little steps.

So practical advice please STW. I’ve trawled the Triathlon websites and they just seem to talk iron man.
    Anyone got a training plan I can use to get my 5k time down?

iDave
    Free Member

8 x 200m on 2 mins once a week

WackoAK
    Free Member

Can’t help with advice on running faster but with regards to getting a stitch check that your shorts (or whatever you run in) are not too tight around the waist. Try and pull the waistband down so that it sits on your hips.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

Make sure you have a good running style, keep your head up and still to maintain a good airway, and make sure your breathing and footsteps are regular. also a good pair of lightweight shoes should help. as far as a training plan goes, you don’t need to run the full distance all the time. if you did 10 mins every day, your times should improve relatively quickly

stumpy01

You need a combination of a good stamina base, tied in with a decent amount of speed work.

Interval sessions on a track or at a local park would be a good idea. Something similar to above, or some kind of pyramid session.
    When I used to run for a club, we used to train at school & do laps round the tennis courts. It was about 40secs round the lot, and we’d have 40 secs rest. 4-5 reps, then 3-4 mins rest & repeat. Soon gets your speed up!

wwaswas

Avoid eating anythign for at least an hour prior to running (preferably two).

I seem to be abel to eat what I like before I ride but always get stitch if I eat anythign leadign up to a run.

mossimus
    Free Member

Try some of these got my time down from 25m to just under 21m in a couple of months.

stumpy01

^^^^^ those intervals in that link mossimus just posted look just the ticket.

surfer
    Free Member

As iDave says interval work will help. In short run uncomfortably fast for a distance then jog slowly to recover. Repeat until your eyeballs pop you are tired. Remember to warm up and down a bit.

As Emil Zatopek said whan asked why he did intervals every day faster than race pace “I need to practice running quickly, I already know how to run slowly” priceless.

emsz
    Free Member

Run faster. Sounds silly but iDave had me doing short and long sprints, and it works. got minutes of my 10k time

iDave
    Free Member

“Sounds silly genius but iDave…..”

I’d say most people train themselves to be slow on a daily basis and then expect to somehow be faster in competition

trb
    Free Member

Sounds good chaps. I knew STW would have the required knowledge.

Thus far I have just “gone for a run” (bearing in mind I couldn’t even complete 5k back in feb).

This weekend I was top 30 for the swim, top 30 for the bike and bottom 20 for the run. So if I want to improve I need to face my demon and do proper run training.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

“I’d say most people train themselves to be slow on a daily basis and then expect to somehow be faster in competition”

It’s this and other comments that have intrigued me … PM sent to idave to enquire about your services.

phil.w
    Free Member

But don’t replace all your runs with reps.

rewski
    Free Member

Google fartlek training, I did it for 10k and half marathon, improved my speed and more importantly stamina. Also bear in mind that some of us will never be that fast, always room for improvement I guess.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running faster advice’ is closed to new replies.