Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Running earphones – Yurbuds?
  • stox
    Free Member

Looking for improved sound over the standard plugs but I mainly want something that will stay in when I run.

Yurbuds and soundmagic ES30’s are both looking favourable.

Does anybody use either of these or can you offer an alternative for around £40.

reluctantlondoner

These ones are pretty good: Monster iSport Headphones

surfer
    Free Member

Start fitness doing them for £15

Yourbuds

manvstarmac

I spent what felt like silly money a couple of years ago and bought the Yurbuds with the non-tangle cord from USA. The sound and the function was fantastic, and I was gutted to lose them too soon afterwards.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Not cheap – BUT the only ones that have ever stayed put in my ears!!
    Make sure you try them though as they can be quite a large fit.
    The “women’s” version are actually physically smaller so fit the smaller ear canal.

Duggan

Slightly off topic but I’ve seen something called ‘bone conduction’ earphones recently. These clamp to your temples rather than having something actually in your ear, so you can (supposedly) hear music as well as the ambient sound around you.

Could be good for running and cycling as possibly a bit safer- wondering if anybody has tried these? Think they’re still pretty expensive at the minute and not sure what the sound quality is like?

Like these ones:

https://www.runningnuts.com/shop/running-accessories/headphones/aftershokz-sportz-3-sports-h-1150606.html

rob
    Free Member

Got the bone conducting ones linked above work very well.

stevomcd
    Free Member

I like my Yurbudz for running and mountain biking, but they’re less good for higher-speed sports like road cycling or snowboarding/skiing. The rubber seems to generate a lot of wind noise.

For snowboarding/skiing I find any old earbuds will do fine as the ear flaps on my helmet keep them in place.

CountZero

Shure SE215’s with triple-flange eartips and UE900 remote cable. The cables have wires to hold shape hooked over the top of the ear. The eartips fit right into the ear canal and give a good seal, and hold the earpieces in place.

stox
    Free Member

Shure SE215’s are more than double what I want to spend.

The monster isport look good – been looking at them in currys … Decisions decisions

CountZero

The thing with the Shures is they have easily replaced cables, buy cheaper ones and have the cables break, and before long you’ve payed out the price of the Shures along with the £20 UE remote cables. I think I has three pairs of ‘phones costing £25-30 break out of warranty before I got the Shures.
    A mate had some cheaper Shure ‘phones with fixed cables, and returned three pairs in less than a year.
    There did used to be some UE (Ultimate Ears) ‘phones cheaper than the 215’s with replaceable cables, but they’ve been discontinued, sadly.
    Seems there are still some UE SuperFi 3 Studio ‘phones kicking around: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultimate-Ears-Super-Fi-3-Studio-Earphones-for-iPhone-iPod-MP3-/271237490776?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3f2703a858
    Mine are fitted with some of these:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Transparent-Clear-in-ear-Buds-Gels-for-Ultimate-Ears-in-earphones-/270951503071?pt=UK_MP3_Players_Accessories_Cases_Covers_Skins&hash=item3f15f7d4df
    These are really very good, they aren’t as streamlined and close-fitting as the 215’s, but they’re a lot cheaper.

hammyuk
    Free Member

The whole point of the Yurbuds is they are supposed to allow wind noise so you can hear other athletes, cars, etc around you!

stevomcd
    Free Member

The whole point of the Yurbuds is they are supposed to allow wind noise so you can hear other athletes, cars, etc around you!

No, the whole point of the Yurbudz is they are supposed to not fall out of your ear.

The wind noise is, in my experience, created by the Yurbudz earbuds and does not exist without it, nor with “normal” earbuds. How is this supposed to help me hear stuff around me?

hammyuk
    Free Member

No, the whole point of the Yurbudz is they are supposed to not fall out of your ear.

The wind noise is, in my experience, created by the Yurbudz earbuds and does not exist without it, nor with “normal” earbuds. How is this supposed to help me hear stuff around me?

The channels in them are specifically designed to allow external noise in as well as stop them falling out.
    The fact they don’t seal inside the ear canal is going to cause noise as air passes over them.
    Personally – it’s a minor inconvenience that is way below the one of constantly putting other types back in all the time!

stevomcd
    Free Member

Aye, they’re some of the best “exercise” earphones I’ve used. They do work well, but the flow noise is a bit of an issue for me. I just use something else for snowboarding and I’m not actually a roadie anyway!

The best I ever had were some (non exercise-specific) Sennheiser ones with a simple earbud attached to a small, over-the-head wire.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Running earphones – Yurbuds?’ is closed to new replies.