Running buggy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Running buggy
  • bigginge

I’m looking to try and pick up a running buggy as a joint Christmas present for MsGinge and TinyGinge this year and was wondering if anyone hear could offer any pointers.

Current plan is to try and pick something up second hand rather than new to try and keep the price to under a couple of hundred if possible. It would likely be used over quite a range of surfaces covering tarmac from the door through to muddy sandy trails around the local forests and country parks. Currently TinyGinge is a bit too small to head out in one of these but I imagine she will be off as soon as she is big and strong enough to enjoy it without risk of injury.

From a quick look on the usual second hand websites it looks like it might be able to find something from out n’ about in budget but I have no idea if these are any good or if there are other brands/types I should be looking at.

domtastic

We’ve just got a mountain buggy terrain for this reason, although the little one is still a bit young to go running in it. Can be picked up for buttons 2nd hand

Premier Icon batfink
    Subscriber

We have a Thule urban glide….. it’s excellent. Really light but yet manages to be very sturdy.

They do one with a fixed front wheel too, but the one on the urban glide has a lockout button – so there is really no need to get the permanently fixed one.

Premier Icon ffej
    Subscriber

We have an out n about nipper which we picked up on gumtree. Its excellent, used around the woods on weekend dog walks and have done many parkruns with it on smooth tracks.

Boy is 4 and a half now and would still use it but he tends to run himself or go on my shoulders now..

Would certainly get another.

Jeff

Premier Icon hot_fiat
    Subscriber

Thule chariot with the jogging third wheel attachment? Will also double as a very capable off-road bike trailer. Have had ours for 6 years & have traveled far and wide with it. Superb bit of kit. You can get an infant sling for the seats allowing the very, very small to come along too.

My youngest in the Thule infant sling at three months. Looks slightly less than impressed.

Premier Icon lesgrandepotato
    Subscriber

Where are you based? I have a Thule chariot cx1 to sell with all the bits in Cumbria.

Premier Icon oikeith
    Subscriber

For those that have a running buggy, from what age of your child did you start using them?

Premier Icon ffej
    Subscriber

I think “they” say you can safely run with them from 6 months, but it will depend on the buggy. Need to have strong enough core and neck muscles. Think we started earlier than that on smooth paths, but the buggy at the time had good cushioning and support for the little one.

J

trail_rat

they depends on what country you live in .

US guidance for the chariot is from birth with the sling. – which seems a bit gungho to me

uk guidance is 6 months.

We started at 3 months once jnrs neck was pretty stable. She loves it Especailly as she is still in her lie flat pram otherwise So enjoys being able to look around forward dacing

We do only run on rural roads and farm tracks around our house though – jnr loves the farm tracks as they vibrate the pram and put her to sleep.

We use a chariot trailer – im looking out for an out and about nipper or a babyjoggger sr20 or similar the chariots a pain as its wide which means anti motorbike gates on cycle paths are a pain and also its low so it scrapes on the centre ridge of some of the farm tracks.

punter

We’ve used B.O.B revolution and Thule/Chariot CX2. Both very good.

Premier Icon turboferret
    Subscriber

I have a very old-school SuperJogger, picked up from eBay for £25, although I have fitted a 5-point harness subsequently, as it only came with a 3. For off-road and minimal drag, you want the biggest wheels you can get, mine has 20″

Has a bit under a 1 minute penalty over a well surfaced 5k I have found

Cheers, Rich

bigginge

@lesgrandepotato, thanks for the offer but I’m a bit too far away and I think “we” will want to stick with the buggy/stroller type thing rather than the trailer option.

There are a few decent looking suggestions in the other posts but ebay and gumtree seem to be fairly short on used options at the minute. Not sure if I’m just missing out on stuff being sold on closed facebook groups or if its just the wrong time of year to be looking for this sort of thing.

At this point its looking more likely that I’ll be splashing out on a new out n about nipper sport if I want to make sure its here in time to get wrapped up.

bigginge

OK, so I may have just ordered the nipper sport.

I’ll try and remember to check in once it’s been out for a run.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.