Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Running app for navigating GPX files? (android)
  • joeydeacon
    Free Member

We’ve got a 10km off road run at the weekend, which isn’t signposted – the organisers said there’d be a GPX file available to help navigate – just wondered if anyone could recommend a simple running/sports app (android) which can open these, plus display your current position etc to help us avoid getting too lost?!

Thanks in advance

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Bump! Any Friday runners have any recommendations? Thanks 🙂

scrumfled
    Free Member

Backcountry navigator

pampmyride
    Free Member

Try great britain topo maps app. Good for route, location & mapping.

rsvtoddy
    Free Member

Komoot

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

backcountry navigator user here, if you just want it for this one event then I think you should be able to download the free trial version.and still get access to overlay gpx files and full OS maps down to 1:25k (just download onto your phone the OS map area you want to use on the day, so you don’t have to worry about phone signal or using data)

CraigW
    Free Member

OsmAnd. OpenStreetMap is often more useful than OS maps, as you can zoom in further to see the details of paths etc. You can download the maps to use offline.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, much appreciated – will take a look at these 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

OpenStreetMap is often more useful than OS maps, as you can zoom in further to see the details of paths etc.

I know what you refer to, but I know which I’d still rather use despite it being a little blurred when zoomed right in

CraigW
    Free Member

That’s not zoomed right in, that is still pretty small scale. There’s plenty of minor paths that are missing from OS maps, but are on OSM.

Another example.

piemonster

Nope, still prefer OS to OSM in that example.

In practice I use both, kind of depends what I’m wanting to see. OSM is a bit pish at pointing out crags. OS is a bit pish and updating new paths, especially those that aren’t ROW.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

That’s not zoomed right in

Indeed, I was more trying to depict the level of detail that you’d have available, to zoom in on. It’s an interesting subject tho, how much detail do you really need?, now that essentially 50% of the navigating job is done for you.

I was trying to remember what the map type is called, vector and raster. Vector maps are a series of points that can scale up and down when you zoom. raster maps are just essentially a pixelated photo.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Running app for navigating GPX files? (android)’ is closed to new replies.