Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Running and shin splints.
  • Mounty_73

I have recently started running using the couch to 5k app. I have just completed week 5, run 1.

At the end of the last run I started getting shin splints, not all that painful (yet). Other than rest what can I do to speed up the healing process, any suggestions please?

Cheers.

johndoh
    Free Member

Other than rest what can I do to speed up the healing process

More rest

mogrim

Ice to reduce the inflammation, but basically what johndoh says.

And come join us over on the big running thread 🙂

The Running 2020 thread – beginners/ultras/whatever

surfer
    Free Member

Rest and ice, NSAID’s for a bit but not long. You wont run them off and you may end up with stress fractures. You have to rest this one.

Mounty_73

Bugger 🙁

I’m just starting to really enjoy the running 🙂

Is it down to lack of fitness and/or bad technique?

Thanks, for the heads up on the ‘Running Thread’.

retro83
    Free Member

Changing from a long stride with heel landing to a shorter stride with more of a mid/forefoot landing eliminated 90% of mine. Never totally went away though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is it down to lack of fitness and/or bad technique?

Lack of running, lack of stretching, old shoes. IMO

Stretching is the most important thing by far. Oh and now they’ve started, rest

bigyim
    Free Member

I had these and started doing calf stretches every chance which seemed to really help

surfer
    Free Member

Stretching is the most important thing by far

Its really not. Its common for new runners to get this, you just need to build slowly and allow your muscles to adjust.

funkmasterp

This is why I stopped running. No matter what I did it was shin splint city 😕

docgeoffyjones

Have a look at ‘pose method’, they can be caused by poor running technique.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just did my first running event a couple of weeks ago, a half marathon. Started training last October but kept getting repeated calf injuries so by the time I got through that it was Feb before I got any proper runs in. Odd I didn’t get shin splints. Whenever i’ve had a dabble with running before i’ve Suffered from them, but in order to deal with my calf injuries I did look into running technique and changed it a bit to reduce pressure on my calves which might have prevented shin splints too.

johndoh
    Free Member

A decent pair of quality running shoes is a must too – I buy mine from Sports Shoes Direct (online) so they never cost a fortune. I just buy a few sizes and return what I don’t need. I find Saucony are the best for me, they just feel so comfortable on and (without wanting to tempt fate) I haven’t had any major injuries or niggles since swapping to them.

brant
    Free Member

I think there’s some dynamic that on one extreme gives you calf strain, and on the other extreme gives you shin splints.

I did move from one to the other when I wore some support shoes with insoles in, but then I snapped my hamstring because they had too much drop and now I run in low (0-3mm drop) barefoot-ish shoes.

However, I’m pretty sure both are ultimately caused by bad conditioning and trying to buy my way out of trouble with better/different/more expensive kit isn’t the way. Though I have tried.

Poor glute strength and poor calf strength as well as poor ankle flexibility are at the core of most of my running ailments. But the I find running is just chasing injuries around my body.

Building up steadily, rest and recovery are key for me.

burko73

This thread could have been written by me. Same age, same situation. Never run much before but on c25k got to the running without stopping bit, realised I was fit enough to “enjoy” it or at least enjoy the achievement and bang, shin splints…. decent shoes, new etc, doctor said too much too soon.

I rested for 4 weeks but swam and cycled instead. Had a cold during this time so not much lost.

On returning to running I went straight back to a straight 5k with no probs. Shins fine. Tried to run on grass and woodland trails for the firs5 few runs. I’d been running on forest gravel tracks which I guess are as hard as pavement when it’s dry.

Just upped to 8 k last week (Friday) as felt good at the end of a 5 k. Felt a bit of a twinge in shins afterwards and on a 5 k on Tuesday I didn’t feel good. Completed my run but have been back on swimming since. Best not to overdo it.

I’m no expert but as far as 8 can see/ read, stretching doesn’t make much difference. The jury is out. Same with supportive trainers. Opinions change.

I think taking it easy and building strength gradually must be key. I’ve got no answer to tell you how to do that though. Be keen to find out. I’m 85kg and enjoying the faff free nature of running compared to cycling/ swimming.

jjprestidge
    Free Member

Switching to forefoot running solved all of my problems, including shin splints, ITB issues, etc. Nothing else, including stretching, foam rollering, different shoes, made any difference at all.

JP

scaredypants

I’ve not been a runner since I was about 17 but when I’ve tried recently I find that running fairly fast over short distances is better for my legs than “jogging”

… so do that, obvz

ivorhogseye
    Free Member

I found shin pain was caused by tight calves. Give them a stretch and see.
    I had terrible shin splints last year. They took 6 weeks to recover. 2 weeks I couldn’t walk. Next 4 I couldn’t run. Now I do 100 body weight squats before I run and it helps warm every thing up. Seems to work for me

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I never stretch, don’t run a huge amount gramted, 25 miles a week, bil does 80 a week, he doesn’t stretch either.

burko73

do these lower leg compression tights work or do anything?

136stu
    Free Member

I tried the couch to 5k and suffered shin splints, tried everything, including compression socks (knee length) but unfortunately they didn’t work either.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Stretching helps me, also ensuring laces aren’t too tight.

I reduced the drop on my shoes and it’s given me calf strain.

mushrooms
    Free Member

I watched a fitness guy on you tube who I think said shin splints were because the muscles that lift the foot are weak and out of shape so can easily be injured. I’m not sure if this is right or not but it made sense to me at the time.
    I have been doing exercises to strengthen mine for a few years now and it seems to work, although I have never really suffered with shin splints.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

They kinda work for me – they don’t totally eliminate the problem, but they lessen it which enables me to do a lot more running before the pain kicks in. I also use Hoka shoes which take the edge off the impact.. can get them for £50 if you wait for a sale.. Basically strapping up my lower legs and cushioning shoes help compensate for my poor technique and weak body..

moonwrasse
    Free Member

I am having the exact same problems, started couch to 5k a few weeks ago, on weeks 3-4 shin splint pain starting to build as it normally does. What has saved me in a compression calf strap. had 2 runs with it on this week and no issues now. My shin splint pain has virtually gone. Got my strap from wiggle, about 15 quid

grahamt1980

Getting the wrong shoes did me.
    I had been running using neutral shoes for ages, went and got a gait analysis done and they recommended a support shoe.
    2 runs later shin splints, so bought the same shoes in neutral and splints went away

dannybgoode

My wife suffered badly from knee / shin pain when trying to get into running. Went the hugely expensive insert route but to no avail.

In the end she went to a proper running shop and they sorted her out with the right shoe for her style (heel to toe drop and all that stuff but no fancy inserts). They spent about an hour with her in all and she’s now able to do 10km runs with no issues.

I know what I like from a running shoe and they still managed to find me a better option.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Seriously…look into running technique. We run completely differently to how we were ‘designed’ to run because of modern running shoes. If you’re running barefoot you’d automatically run differently. No need to actually run barefoot, but looking into that technique will help reduce the shock loading you impart on your body. Decent running shoes will help and reduce the effect, but not necessarily irradiate it. Proper technique will put more of the strain on muscles ‘designed’ to deal with that strain and put the loading on your joints as intended. I’m convinced that it was the thing that stopped me picking up calf injuries. Sure the massage and roller work helped me recover from injuries, but just got me back to running quicker where I’d pick up the next injury. It took me to focus on technique and change it to break the cycle of repetitive injuries.

dirk_pumpa
    Free Member

Bouncing, hopping, plyometric drills you can do in the kitchen every other day and short trail runs getting some elevation in will all help move towards better technique.

I had pretty bad ones when i came back this year but thats what fixed things for me. Little and often. 👍

spacemonkey

I used to get SS when I got back into running 15 years ago. Post-run ice didn’t do anything. So I started walking the first 10 mins or so then again if I felt a twinge coming on. Did this for several weeks before tapering down to the point where I no longer needed to walk at all. Also introduced a bit of biking. The combination IMHO did the trick.

EDIT: I also did a gait test thing and was given an orthotic insole for over-pronating.

burko73

I read that the gait thing isn’t so much of a thing for shin splints etc and has been over stated?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Running and shin splints.’ is closed to new replies.