Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Running a single light. Helmet or Bars??
  • Blackflag
    Free Member

Just got a Gemini Olympus for my winter rides. Light as anything, but do i run it on my helmet or bars?

What would you do with a single light?

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

If only running one light i always mount it on my helmet.

This way i can see round corners before i get to them and not wait for the bars to turn.

trail_rat
    Free Member

And i run it on my bars as you get funky shaddows with justahelmet light

IanW
    Free Member

In the new diverse STW

Off road – Helmet
    Road- bars

Blackflag
    Free Member

Funky shadows????

trout
    Free Member

Helmet then if you break down it helps to see the repairs

But what will you do when / if the light breaks down / goes flat in the middle of the woods
    two lights always

Simon

Helmet, so you can see where you’re going rather than where your bike’s pointing.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Helmet it is.

And i always carry a mini torch Trout.

boxelder

Better trail definition on bars. Helmet lights ‘flatten’ everything.

Flaperon

Bars!

Riding with the beam above your eyes mean you won’t see shadows in dips/holes – at night the shadows are pretty much your only clue for depth perception.

Try both but be exceptionally careful the first time you use a helmet light only, as you won’t know what’s there until you hit it. There’s already been one broken wrist today.

I use a single bar mounted Hope R4 and have no issues riding at night.

chowmein
    Free Member

Helmet on the trails. Mine is currently on bars and when I turn into a corner I have no idea what is going to happen until the last second. Lucky I have cat like reactions.

Northwind

Trout is spot on- one light is a bad idea, considering the low price of a decent second light it’s hard to argue against that. Even the most reliable light can get crash damaged.

Mounting on bars is good for shadows/depth perception but bad for corners and awful for jumps and other quick changes of altitude (as it just ends up pointing at the sky) I can deal with the first but not the second, so, if I’m riding with one it’s always on the head, it is enormously better IMO.

Sam

Mounting on bars is good for shadows/depth perception but bad for corners and awful for jumps and other quick changes of altitude (as it just ends up pointing at the sky) I can deal with the first but not the second, so, if I’m riding with one it’s always on the head, it is enormously better IMO.

Seconded – both is best but if there’s only one then on the head.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You wont die from just having one light.

Worst case is you have to walk back to civalisation. ( provided you realise that with no light and limited eye sight it would be stupid to ride)

oldgit
    Free Member

Bars, but it’s an off road light so it lights up the trail including upcoming corners.
    It’s good on the lid, but feels wobbly? and it’s dreadful in the mist, fog, snow and rain on the lid.

Lester
    Free Member

one on the bars
    one on the helmet

and rear light just in case bloke behind only has one light and its run out at least he can see me to follow

christmas has come early

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Running a single light. Helmet or Bars??’ is closed to new replies.