Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 410 total)
  • Running.
  • surfer
    Free Member

I’d happily do more miles, but I like my wife and my kids

Train at different times, early morning/late evening. Double up by doing 5 in the morning and 6 in the evening for example. Running takes up relatively little time door to door. Unlike many other sports that require you to go somewhere to participate.

emsz
    Free Member

Munqe chick, that’s an Amazing time for your fist one!!

For sore muscles, have you booked a massage with your partner? Lol, you deserve one!! or a foam roller can help loads. Blisters sounds horrible, time for a better pair of shoes!!

I take one of those hand held bottles or for longer runs I’ve got a belt.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Thanks Emsz I was super happy as wanted under 2hrs 20 and it was hard. I have already thought next week I shall take a trip for some new trainers, it’s under my little toe is absolutley red raw where too many layers of skin have been ripped off 🙁

I had a small hand held bottle for my half yesterday and then used 3 gels as well, the one at 10miles seemed to work a treat!!! It’s just getting that manky sticky gel on my hands is a bit minging.

seanoc
    Free Member

I agree that running, relatively speaking, doesnt take up much time. You need to see my weekly regime and try to squeeze any extra time out of it. I tend to double up on Tuesdays and Thursdays – the second run is always a club run with either tempo or efforts. I’m always amazed at how well I get on inspite of feeling knackered and lethargic. The rest of my runs are basically on stolen time.

Drinking on the hoof -I quite like the Camelbak quickgrip for any runs longer than 2 hours, or the Inov8 elite 3 pac for the hills (need to carry stuff fore safety sake innit). I don’t find that carrying something effects my pace.

Well done MC on your trail HM! Walk down the stairs sideways, that should help….lol.

djglover
    Free Member

didn’t drink anything in 2:30 it took me to run 20 miles yesterday. Although in the 2-3 hours following I had 750ml of milk, a pint of tea and a pint of orange

theteaboy
    Free Member

djglover – Member
    didn’t drink anything in 2:30 it took me to run 20 miles yesterday. Although in the 2-3 hours following I had 750ml of milk, a pint of tea and a pint of orange

You’ve been watching Panorama! There’s apparently lots of science showing that the weight loss associated with mild dehydration (to 4% bodyweight) leads to faster running. If properly hydrated at the start you shouldn’t need much fluid during long runs.

Oh, and according to the Ingleboro results I was a bit keen with the stopwatch buttons and hit 55 dead.

surfer
    Free Member
    IanMunro
    Free Member

You’ve been watching Panorama! There’s apparently lots of science showing that the weight loss associated with mild dehydration (to 4% bodyweight) leads to faster running.

Didn’t see the programme, but did it actually say mild dehydration leads to faster running, or that faster runners were mostly mildly dehydrated?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

No, it said that if you don’t drink silly sugary drinks whilst training you’re more likely to lose weight* and this will lead to faster running.

*they’re talking fat.

Jamie
    Free Member

I am faster when dehydrated, as I weigh less.

Ladies and gentleman, let’s hear it for SCIENCE!

molgrips
    Free Member

No, it said that if you don’t drink silly sugary drinks whilst training you’re more likely to lose weight* and this will lead to faster running.

What about being able to train harder if you do drink sugary drinks?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

It’s bollocks Molly, but you believe it if you want to.

Personally I find homeopathy equally effective…

http://www.bmj.com/content/345/bmj.e4737

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s bollocks Molly, but you believe it if you want to.

I don’t want to believe it, I want to know what the relative effects of the different ideas are so I know what to do.

With respect, you calling it bollocks is insufficient evidence!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Well go and do some research if you don’t want to trust what others tell you.

Have a look on the Torq website (I know you trust those guys) and see his response to the BBC program. Mind you, being an athlete, you can probably just consume calories like Wiggins.

molgrips
    Free Member

I read the Torq article and your BMJ link, that is talking about isotonic sports drinks.

I’m talking about carbs.

Currently using the 45 minute rule, it’s working nicely. I’ll let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’ll let you know how it goes in a few weeks.

With pictures??? 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes. Of what, I’m not saying.

seanoc
    Free Member

What’s the 45 minute rule?

molgrips
    Free Member

No carbs (or is it no simple carbs?) for a couple of hours before and in the first 45-60 mins of a long ride. Otherwise, if you have carbs your body will want to burn those all up instead of fat.

So the story goes at least. Seems to work well.

Not sure if I’m better off doing the same thing for short intense workouts though.

mogrim

didn’t drink anything in 2:30 it took me to run 20 miles yesterday.

It’s 34C out there at the moment, if I tried to run for 2:30 in that heat without drinking I’d be in trouble… Think I’ll just do a shorter run!

donsimon
    Free Member

It’s 34C out there at the moment, if I tried to run for 2:30 in that heat without drinking I’d be in trouble… Think I’ll just do a shorter run!

‘kin lightweight! 🙄 When I were a lad….

Jamie
    Free Member

When I was visiting my bruv in Greece, I would go running first thing or later on in the evening. Don’t think I would really fancy doing distance in that sort of heat during the day….but then I am a big ponce.

philconsequence
    Free Member

its true, he is a ponce

(came up under a google search for the word ponce)

donsimon
    Free Member

Like the picture, who is?
    My computer still thinks it’s in Spain and gives me all things Enrique Ponce, who I saw working a few tears ago.

emsz
    Free Member

Molly do you use carb on longer runs as well as rides?

I thought you didn’t need to eat extra for running?

molgrips
    Free Member

Well my longer runs aren’t that long, only an hour or so, so I don’t bother with the faff. I do afterwards though. I might take a gel or something if I were out for two hours, same as if I were riding I guess.

You might find eating more allows you to run faster, you might find it makes you fat 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Well my longer runs aren’t that long, only an hour or so, so I don’t bother with the faff. I do afterwards though.

I wouldn’t have thought you’d need anything on/for a 45 min run, live and learn.

molgrips
    Free Member

Just following the guidelines set by a coach I know, don!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How much have you modified his guidelines?

On a serious note… are you still doing the Nevis Tri? If your coach hasn’t told you to do A LOT of open water swim practice… find a new coach.

donsimon
    Free Member

Just following the guidelines set by a coach I know, don!

I’m genuinely surprised as I’d have thought that there would have been enough fuel held in the body negating the need for topping up when exercising for such a short time.

nosemineb
    Free Member

This is the longest running thread ever, bum tish!
    Please feel free to NOT read all this.
    Ive been on the bob g trail this weekend Our atemptee did an outstanding 20.56 and looked strong all the way round. I did leg 2 from 3,45am after a 90min drive, we ran into Dunmail near Thirlmere around 7.30am i guess after i lost my head torch, a hope r4 no less 🙁 it had bounce out as the zips had come undone, it could be anywhere up there. so i back tracked a bit looking for it before giving up and chasing the others, i missed the tops of Dollywagon and nethermost but not by much and they were halfway up Fairfield before i caught them so i had a rest here, I had managed to fall a couple of times too in the chase, not a good feeling in the early hours up there all on your own. It focused the mind a bit! Wasnt long before they were back and we ran over the top of Seat Sandal then a fast descent saw us arrive around 30min up on 22 hour schedule.
    I had consisered doing 3 as well, before i realised i had changed tsirts and the rucksack was back on- It was glorious and ive never seen a view from Scafell pike so that thought pulled me on.
    After topping a couple of summits i hung back with my mate [he had done 1,2 and 3 on no sleep and a full day work on friday] and let the new supporters head off as my pal was struggling. So we didnt run much and straight lined a bit missing the pikes. We were ahead by Rossett pike. We then ran together to sca fell where i descended via lingmell as ive not done lords rake and didnt want to try it on someone elses round. all in a top day out, 20 ish summits 30 ish miles and around 10k plus feet. You can imagine how my legs are… perfect weekend. I love the lakes!!
    If anyone touches my thighs let alone tries to massage them, god help them! 😀
    leg 2 garmin. I didnt start leg 3grr

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m genuinely surprised as I’d have thought that there would have been enough fuel held in the body negating the need for topping up when exercising for such a short time.

There is, yes, but the idea behind post-exercise carb is to speed recovery. And I think it controls increased appetite that you can get from really hard efforts, although personally my legs aren’t good enough to carry me for long enough to get that like I do from biking.

donsimon
    Free Member

Again I’m genuinely surprised as I find that I’m less hungry after exercise, it’s not training as I have no objective, but it is always hard. I believe that the only way to train is by pusing the envelope. The only thing it means for me is that I aim to finish just before lunch or dinner and only use bananas and water as training fuel.
    Maybe I should look into it a bit deeper.

nosemineb
    Free Member

[/img]
    Sun rise somewhere around Lower man, awesome!

emsz
    Free Member

I ate some flapjack on one my early 20 mile runs (I didn’t know what else to do, and I thought i might get hungry)

I spent the last 5 miles just wanting a poo really badly 😳

EDIT: nosey, am I reading that right? have you been night running round the lake district?? Is that what a round is?

donsimon
    Free Member

I’d go easy on this running malarkey nosemineb, one of your testicles appears to have caught fire. 😥

Jamie
    Free Member

Awesome stuff, nosemineb.

nosemineb
    Free Member

Cheers guys. Its not bad for a phone pic is it? more bgr snaps here
    yeah the bob is 42 peaks in a certain order starting at the Moothall in Keswick, you have to touch each summit in 24 hours to be allowed in to the club. The record is sub 14 hours but most people who atempt struggle to get to keswick at all, let alone finish in under 24 hours. So for most 5 or 6 hours are in darkness. My pal set off at 12 midnight so Skiddaw, Cloughhead and Blencathra were in complete darkness. We were an hour in to clough head so nearly at the summit before we switched the lights off.
    Its very special. We saw a great cloud inversion and the tops were so clear. Daydreams…… ahhh

Jamie
    Free Member

How are you navigating? ….as that would be my downfall I think. The Garmin trail would have me running round in circles in the dark.

mogrim

I’d go easy on this running malarkey nosemineb, one of your testicles appears to have caught fire.

😀

Did 54min in the end, so didn’t need to take water or anything. Nice run, if a little warm, and have definitely earned the beer I’m having now.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 410 total)

The topic ‘Running.’ is closed to new replies.