Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Running 1 x 10
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Building up a cotic bfe, im thinking of trying out 1 x 10, the bikes use wil be xc/am/dh, bit of everything 🙂 how do people get on with a 32T up front ? ive seen this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=90444

worth getting ? tell me more about xc and running a 32t up front, whats best, it has to climb steep climbs well as well as decend 🙂

mrelectric

Also Works Components FYI:

Sram integrated chainring and bashguard – 34t 7075t6Rough prototype to test dimensions, tolerances and tool-paths.Some small changes to be made (inc custom tooling) before hitting production mid Feb.

Posted by Works Components on Monday, January 14, 2013

coopersport1
    Free Member

Sorry for the hijack, I’ve run 1×10 before but not yet on my Rockstar anyone know if those Hope Integrated rings will fit the new XT double chainsets?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    stee1e
    Free Member

I run a 1×9 and just came back from a race in mid wales. At first I was a little anxious about the climbs but found it fairly easy after a while.

I have it with 36t up front and will try it with a 34t as I wasn’t using the full range of gears. I’m using the superstars chain guide and haven’t had any problems with it.

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

hmm ok im just unsure on what T chain ring i need really as its got to be good for steep/tech climbs, could do with having a go on a demo bike maby and try it out

djflexure

Use a 34T without any problems 12-36 on the rear.

rideforlife2
    Free Member

I use a 34t ring with a 11-36 cassette out back. I am yet to find a hill I cannot get up and only spin out on steep road descents on the way back from my trails.

I hope this helps.

Scamper
    Free Member

Run a 32 on my soul but only 9 speed 11-34. I’m unfit but can get up most stuff, if sometimes at a very slow grind. Short really steep climbs are surprisingly fine. Really ought to try a 34 or 36 but suspect I’ll struggle.

mansonsoul
    Free Member

I run a 32t with a 12-36t cassette. It is awesome, and will make you a better man, that much is clear.

mulacs

I’ve just upgraded my Soul from 3×8 (retro!) to 1×10 X9, using the existing 32T chainring just to see how I go and it works well. Maybe a little spiny on steeper road sections but no issues climbing. Still early days, going to run this ring into the ground then prob will go to a 34T. Sounds like you’ll want a 34…

mulacs

Also, 62 buck?!? WAT 0_o

shindiggy
    Free Member

Run 1 x 10 with 32 upfront and 11 – 36 out back, so far I love but haven’t ridden any where with Monster climbs yet.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, 1×10 with 36t up front. Great.

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I run a 30t front ring with 36 rear. I find really steep technical climbs easier with it.if you’re fit you’ll be fine with 32. I’m getting old.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I ran 36T with 11-36 at the back was ok for general riding but struggled at some races last year particularly Hopton Woods which was a 15-20min climb 😳

I am heavy and it was on a 29er gone to 34T now much better for me anyway

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

I run 34T with 11-36 cassette on my 29er and find it spot on.

Also using a short cage mech & Pauls chain keeper and it has been flawless.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

just built a Bfe with a 34T / 11-36, took her out for the first spin this morning around Surrey Hills, I’m pretty crap at climbing anyhow but it was tough going, also got minions on which didn’t help imo. I’m not much into the XC scene as such at the same time I can see the advantages
    – def will make you fitter
    – don’t have to worry abt the front mech
    – weight saving (not by much but for some it makes a diff)

it forces you to pedal through as you don’t have a fall back option, you should be fine methinks

I’m 6’5″ and weigh abt 225 lbs if that helps.

Vortexracing

I’ve run 1×10 before but not yet on my Rockstar anyone know if those Hope Integrated rings will fit the new XT double chainsets?

yip they will, tomcanbefound has one on his Soul with the new double XT crank

evilclosetmonkey
    Free Member

Not sure about the hope intergrated bash tho, £62 and you will have to replace the whole thing when the chain ring is worn.

gaberin
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going 1*10 on my xc bike, currently set up singlespeed for commuting but will be doing some of the gorrick races on it this year.
    will be shimano, Is it worth getting a shadow plus mech?
    Will i need a chain guide?

Thanks.. sorry for the thread hijack

theendisnigh
    Free Member

yeah you will need a chain guide, cheap superstar one does me. Having a decent rear mech helps too.

bri-72

Theendisnigh, is your 30T a inner or middle? Fancy going sub 32T if can do it without having an inner.

officialtob
    Free Member

Also, 62 buck?!? WAT 0_o

Glad it wasn’t just me.

njee20
    Free Member

I’m thinking of going 1*10 on my xc bike, currently set up singlespeed for commuting but will be doing some of the gorrick races on it this year.
    will be shimano, Is it worth getting a shadow plus mech?
    Will i need a chain guide?

Yes. Yes.

Theendisnigh, is your 30T a inner or middle? Fancy going sub 32T if can do it without having an inner.

Extralite do a 30t ‘middle’ ring – you have to file the spider to fit it. AFAIK there are no other 4-arm 104mm <32t rings. You could use a Widgit.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Running 1 x 10’ is closed to new replies.