Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Runners. Trainers rubbing at the back.
  • jambourgie
    Free Member

One of the plastic heels has popped through where I’ve worn the padding away causing it to rub the back of my heel red raw two minutes into a run. Two month old pair of Asics. Anything I can do apart from buy new trainers?

stevehine

Send them back ? Unless you’ve been running 50 miles a week in them or don’t lace them up properly there’s no way they should be worn out in two months…

toby1

Were they fitted? I have narrow heels, so need particularly tight fitting shoes at the back.

lunge

I’m not sure how you can save the shoes, short of taping them up but it’ll be a bodge. Your problem as you know if that you have a bit of plastic sticking into your heel and that’ll be hard to remove without compromising the structure of the shoe.

A few thoughts though:
    It’ll likely have been caused by heel slippage. This can be remedied by using the lace-lock method of lacing them up, details here.

You can try taping your heel up with this tape, it’s really sticky and works well for this purpose, link here.

Finally, you could try different socks, perhaps a pair with 2 layers to prevent rubbing, something like this

Edit, and yes, look at how you wear them. Are they done up tight enough to stop movement? Do you slip them on/off without undoing the laces? Do they actually fit? To big a shoe might cause heel slippage. You can get through a pair in 2 months but you’d need to be putting some mileage in, and ASICS are normally quite hard wearing

fabs

+1 for using heel lock lacing

My heels rub horrendously if I don’t use this with my latest trainers. I think I have a broad foot and narrowish heel. Not helped by trainer manufacturers often putting a smooth shiny fabric inside the heel.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

IMO just bin and try a different shoe.

It’s not a ‘fault’ of the shoe, just it doesn’t fit your foot

jambourgie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone. Will try some of the recommendations. When I remember I pop a plaster on my heel which helps. I’ve had all kinds of brands, don’t think this has happened before. Last pair were Brooks and wore them till the soles wore out. These Asics seem quite wide and barge-like. Maybe I just have narrow feet. I just buy whatever is on offer usually, ran for years in a pair of Nike Air Max, followed by a pair of those ridiculous Five-Finger things. Seem to adapt to anything.

toby1

Seem to adapt to anything.

Or destroy them as they are ill fitting 😉

The heel lock method in lunges post is in use on my current running shoes too. Perhaps try a couple of the on offer shoes before just grabbing a pair?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Well yeah, I try them on obvs. Tbh, The Asics were great until they suddenly weren’t. First pair I’ve had an issue with.

nickdavies

Engo patches are really good for this.

Cougar

After two months I’d be crying Consumer Rights Act and seeking to get my money back.

lunge

After two months I’d be crying Consumer Rights Act

It does depend on usage. 2 months could be 500 or 600 miles for a high mileage runner, that’d wear out a lot of running shoes, certainly I retire mine before then.

Cougar

Fair point. I was judging the OP by my own running standards, when I replaced my last pair they were probably about ten years old.

Flaperon

Sometimes shoes that feel comfortable when you try them on turn out to be awful when you’re actually running. I had a similar issue with a pair of onClouds but Cotswold gave me a refund without quibble.

Compeed do good blister patches for the short term while your foot heals, but in my experience you can run forever in correctly fitting shoes and never get a blister or raw skin.

simondbarnes

Bin them and buy some that fit properly

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I buy all my running shoes online, untried. Always wear Asics, I know my size, I quite like them a tad big tbh.

Have you been pushing your feet into them without undoing the laces? Best way to breakdown the heel.

A pair will usually only last me 3-4 months, so 2 months isn’t ridiculous.

hugo
    Free Member

IMO just bin and try a different shoe.

So many great running trainers with the ability to be perfect out of box that I’d have to agree with this.

I remember trying on two Asics trail runners for a 3 week trek, so they needed to be right. The ones that were my first choice didn’t feel quite right. The other pair fitted like a glove and so I knew straight away. 6 hours walking and zero blisters or foot problems.

If I’d have gone with choice #1 by mail order I’d have potentially stitched myself up.

BadlyWiredDog

I just buy whatever is on offer

And then you’re surprised that your shoes don’t fit properly? Sorry, I don’t mean that in a snide way, but try getting some running shoes that really suit your foot shape, it makes a real difference.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Runners. Trainers rubbing at the back.’ is closed to new replies.