Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Runners’ GPS watches
  • ransos
    Free Member

Hi Everyone

My wife would like a new running watch, which she’d like to do the following:

Preferably Garmin (as I already use their bike computers)
    Upload data via bluetooth
    See text messages on the watch
    Stream music (not essential)
    Ability to follow directions or breadcrumb trail (important – she does trail running)

Does anyone have a recommendation? Thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Vivoactive 4 or 4s

fadda

I have a vivoactive 3 music, bought specifically for the music player feature. I really like it, it automatically syncs everything with the phone app and seems very reliable over the 8 months or so I’ve had it.
    And it doesn’t look very much like a running watch, which I also like…

ransos
    Free Member

^ I didn’t think the vivoactive had navigation capabilities?

CraigW
    Free Member

I like my Forerunner 245 Music. Does all that stuff. Plays music, either your own MP3s, or Spotify etc.
    Not sure about the options for follow directions. Think you can load a course for a simple breadcrumb map. Or can install extra Connect IQ apps, seems to be a few options for routing/maps.
    Battery life seems pretty decent – up to 24 hours with GPS. Though lot shorter if playing music etc.

Has proper buttons, I think that’s better than the touch screen on the Vivoactive.

lunge

2nd forerunner 245 music. It’ll do what you need.

wardee
    Free Member

does trail running mean ultras? if so the cheaper garmins tend to have insufficient battery life. Modern garmins can’t be charged whilst in use. otherwise all of the above features (except music) can be found on most gps watches these days. for ultras, fenix series models tend to have better batteries and better navigation options than forerunner models or vivoactives. Other thing to bear in mind is watch size, some of the garmin models are a bit large for smaller female wrists.

Suunto and Coros also worth looking at.

scotroutes

some of the garmin models are a bit large for smaller female wrists.

That’s very sexist of you to assume that only females have smaller wrists. I’m offended.

trail_rat
    Free Member

The only thing I seem to see people I know using suunto for is selling them to buy Garmin’s after they realise suunto have sold them up the swanny.

Garmin ain’t perfect but suunto are anothe level of incompetence.

DougD

Another vote for the 245 music. Easy to use and buttons instead of touchscreen which I much prefer when out running

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Why do folk use buttons when running? I have 4 fields when running, distance, pace, average pace and timer.

I literally never touch it, even running ultras.

Never listen to music right enough!

zomg

I often use the lap button for setting laps in interval sessions. Otherwise it’s hard to compare the efforts afterwards.

I also have a couple of screens when racing: one with large pace numbers for early on; another with a large HR number for later when not going too far into the red is more important for me than holding 4 or whatever

zomg

On topic, I just got a garmin forerunner 645 music and am very pleased so far. It’s replacing a forerunner 225 which has been very reliable over the years.

el_boufador

Instinct? No pretty, but v functional. Went through this selection process earlier in the year, it’s confusing! Instinct is very good for multi sport, has nav (breadcrumb) and is relatively cheap

ransos
    Free Member

does trail running mean ultras? if so the cheaper garmins tend to have insufficient battery life.

She’s looking at a 30 mile event next summer, and it’s a requirement to have a navigation device. She could take my Garmin bike computer but a watch would be a lot more convenient.

CraigW
    Free Member

Latest Garmins have a new GPS chipset, so can be much better battery life. Even with the smaller/cheaper models. eg Forerunner 245 has 24 hours with GPS, should be enough for most ultras.

wardee
    Free Member

Events which require a navigation device are generally looking for a standalone navigation device with proper maps. Something like an etrex or a gpsmap64. A watch with maps probably won’t pass kit check. A watch which only produces a breadcrumb trail and does not have maps (most running watches) would definitely not be sufficient.

re 24 hour battery life, fine for shorter ultras, but my experience with Garmin devices is that the batteries don’t last as long as quoted. 24 hours isn’t much for the properly long stuff.

Spin
    Free Member

after they realise suunto have sold them up the swanny.

In what way?

Spin
    Free Member

Why do folk use buttons when running? I have 4 fields when running, distance, pace, average pace and timer.

I like to have altitude, clock time and battery % up for long mountain runs.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

like to have altitude, clock time and battery % up for long mountain runs.

Aye, I’ll change the fields for hill races, as pace is kinda irrelevant, still only have 4 fields though.

mikeyd
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a Forerunner 645 for £199.99 @ Argos. A colleague has one and rates it highly, although he paid £400 for it earlier in the year..

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1513936

Flaperon

Older Fenix 3 from eBay? Fenix 5S may fall to about 200 pounds at the end of the week.

Amazon have the Fenix 6S Pro for 30% off* on occasion at the moment.

*fulfilled by Amazon, anyway.

swanny853

sold them up the swanny

I’m offended.

(I also have a suunto. It’s fine, for MTB and running. It’s been a lot more reliable than my Edge 510, which regularly has a period of ‘wobbles’ until it settle again, but I’m given to understand that the Garmin watches are a little less flaky).

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve just picked up a Forerunner 645 for £199.99 @ Argos. A colleague has one and rates it highly, although he paid £400 for it earlier in the year..

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1513936

Ooh, that’s just the ticket – thanks.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Runners’ GPS watches’ is closed to new replies.