Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Runners, first 21km next month, what do I need to do to prepare?
  • stewartc
    Free Member

Signed up for a 21km run to push myself a little and although I have been practicing in the evening or weekend where possible I have yet to exceed 12km on a run. My typical evening run is 9km which I am completing in around 50 minutes without being out of breadth etc.
    The race starts on a Sunday at 9am, so my question is what should I do on the week(s) leading up to the event, what should I have for breakfast and is it worth bringing my own fluids (water will be provided along the route)?
    I feel confident that I can compelete it in under 2.5 hours (bear in mind I am around 90g) if I keep a steady pace but all advice it appreciatted.

roady_tony
    Free Member

electrolytes sachet or energy squeezys for when you have water,
    breakfast is really down to personal preference.

biggest thing though is PACE
    dont get caught up with other peoples race
    run well within yourself for the first 10 then up it slightly for the last.
    most of all
    enjoy it

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Enjoy and don’t over complicate. Have your normal breakfast but with time to digest. I would recommend porridge if you like it as better carbs than cereal. Have plenty to drink pre-race but don’t overdo it. Just a little bit more than normal and maybe diluted OJ or similar. Take a few nibbles eg jelly babies in your pocket. And remember its a run of two halves – in old fashioned money (!), jog 10 miles (the first half!) to get to the 3.1mile race!!

KISS and enjoy!

P.s. don’t over stress about distance in your training. The key will be the accumulated distance, no need to replicate the full distance in training. But you should look to up things gradually.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bensales
    Free Member

For a half I have a small bowl of porridge 2 hours before, along with 300ml glass of water. Then nothing until the race. Just before I line up I take a piss, have small drink of water, about 100ml. This makes me adequately hydrated for the whole race, and ensure I don’t need to stop to take a leak.

During, I’ll have a single SIS gel at 6 miles, and I’ll rinse my mouth out a couple of times at the water stations. Probably don’t really need the gel, it’s more a psychological thing.

If you’re regularly knocking out 5.5 miles in 50 minutes, that’s just over 9 minute miling. Ease off that pace just a little to 9:30min/mile and you’ll be able to complete the race in a respectable 2 hours or so.

I was a similar weight to you when I ran my first half two years ago, in 2:36. A year later, and a stone lighter, cracked 2 hours, and six months after that, and another stone off, hit 1:45. Aiming to hit 1:30 by the end of this year.

Neil-F
    Free Member

I usually have a bowl of porridge and some toast, about 1.5 to 2 hours before the run. I struggle to eat in the mornings usually, so I get up extra early and take the dog for a good long walk.
    I don’t usually do gels and what have you, water intake is fairly normal beforehand, but a wee tip, take a bottle of water to the start line and if need be you can use the bottle to piss in instead of queuing for ages for a portaloo. Pop the lid back on and just chuck it in a bin. As someone said, don’t get too hung up on your distance in training, just make sure you don’t push too far too soon or you’ll pick up an injury. I’d be looking to have completed maybe one or two 10 milers fairly comfortably if I was doing a half marathon. 😀

IanMunro
    Free Member

Grease your nipples.

willard

Keep your disgusting personal habits out of this! This was a serious request for help.

Freak.

The week before, just taper down with your running so that you are still doing a bit, but not too muh and risking injury. Keep hydrated the night before and just have a normal breakfast at about 7am.

Have fun.

Jamie
    Free Member

Grease your nipples.

…and for the run?

stewartc
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice, its all noted down.

bensales
    Free Member

Oh yeah, don’t forget your nipples.

I put surgical tape over mine. It’s a mistake you only make once.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

When the going gets tough just tuck in behind someone of the opposite sex with a nice bum and follow them…

stewartc
    Free Member

Ok, nipple tapped or greased.
    TurnerGuy, used that tactic on my first 10k, now I use it when walking also……

surfer
    Free Member

You should get up to the half marathon distance if you have some time before the event, dont be worried about getting out of breath if your runs are too easy then you should increase the intensity on some days.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I did my first half a couple of years ago. Only got up to 16km once in training, so don’t fret about training at full distance.

Do a practice day a few weeks before, to try out how much before the race you need breakfast etc.

I try for 2 – 3 hours before race start, and have a cereal bar in my pocket in the hour before the race and just take little nibbles to settle my stomach/provide re-assurance, normally I don’t eat it all.

Take a gel or two with you, maybe have one at an hour or so, and then one 20 mins later. Probably don’t need it, but it helps my head think that I will have some left for the last couple of miles. Train with gels to see what suits you.

For my first I walked through the aid station at 6 miles, to take a sip or two of water (goes up my nose if I try to drink whilst running) I’ll never be at the front so a few seconds here is fine.

I’ve also taken a bottle in a waist belt, which worked as I didn’t need to slow down to drink.

All been 1:50 or less using this strategy, and I didn’t start running until my late forties!

Oh….have a poo before you leave home or stop on the way…the bogs are always queued out of the door at the venue, and you don’t need that stress that close to start time.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Eating rice pudding a few days before the race is a good way to”solidify” everything before the race, as does peppermint tea.

If you then get caught out and have to go for a crap in the woods, you will probably get away with just using one sock!

If you can run 6 or 7 miles comfortably then half marathon distance should be ok, you should be able to complete it through willpower if it gets tough.

As well as following someone for pace, you can also just lean your head slightly forward for some extra help if things gets tough.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Eating rice pudding a few days before the race is a good way to”solidify” everything before the race, as does peppermint tea.

If you then get caught out and have to go for a crap in the woods, you will probably get away with just using one sock!

If you can run 6 or 7 miles comfortably then half marathon distance should be ok, you should be able to complete it through willpower if it gets tough.

As well as following someone for pace, you can also just lean your head slightly forward for some extra help if things gets tough.

stewartc
    Free Member

Hi, thanks for all the advice, just got back and dont feel to bad and according to Sportstracker I did 23km (?) in 2 hours 10 minutes which I dont think is too shoddy for my first attempt?
    Just waiting for the Standard Chartered people to post the official times later in the week to see what my official time is.

Generaly kept a steady pace for the first 12km, then had a gel and tried to up my average speed a little for the final 9km. Hit a wall arouand 18km (never run more than 12km before) but managed to get past that by stopping and having a little stretch.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Well done!!

piemonster

Funeral arrangements

piemonster

On the greased nipples from, take a couple of plasters

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Runners, first 21km next month, what do I need to do to prepare?’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts