Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Runners – apple watch
  • bob_summers

Sending my Instinct back for repair and don’t like running with a phone.

I thought the AW would be pretty good (maybe fooled by the Nike tie in) but – at least in box fresh state – it’s a bit wanting.

The apple running app uploads to Strava without track data so you don’t see segments.

Strava app is pitiful, you get fields for HR, avg pace, time and distance and AFAIK you can’t change them so no way to see current pace.

Numbers aren’t as easy to see as on a mono screen. I usually run fells/trails/hills (can’t really atm because covid) and this wouldn’t be much use, I like to have the elevation on display for picking up tracks at a certain height, for example. I also ride MTB with the Garmin and can’t imagine this being much use there either.

How are you getting on with yours? Can it be improved or is it just crap for running?

mrsheen
    Free Member

I’m only speculating but you’d probably get a better experience by using a sports specific product like Garmin.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Maybe you would but only in better life tbh.
    For any outdoor activity tracking WorkOutDoors is the daddy of Apple Watch apps. It’s only downside is it’s probably too customisable. But once configured how you want it it’s superb and never let me down for none bike activities.

mickyfinn
    Free Member
    bob_summers

That could do the trick cheers @mickeyfinn I’ll give it a whirl.

prawny

I’ve got an Apple Watch but I still use my older Garmin Vivoactive for actual exercise, it’s just better.

If you’re committed to the Apple Watch maybe try iSmoothRun, the interface is a bit clunky (or was when I last used it) but it works well with Garmin/Strava/training peaks etc. I used to use it when I had a pebble watch and it got me through my first half marathon.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do. Strava app on Apple Watch works fine for my running needs and I use my Garmin head unit for bike duties which uploads to strava too. All I like to do for my running is track mileage, routes, track pacing, HR so fairly simple measures. I’m sure the Apple Watch is more capable than that with other apps. My mate has a Garmin and has functionality around training programmes and some other stuff, but no features I wish I had – but are in all likelihood available with the right app.

prawny

That work outdoors looks good though, might give that a go. My Garmin refuses to believe that kayaking is a thing and is convinced that people only do SUP these days. Which is annoying.

bob_summers

Aye no doubt the Garmin is better for what I need (even though I have a love hate relationship with them) but it’s away for repair for who knows how long.

For six quid or whatever I think that app looks very good though.

mickyfinn
    Free Member

Problem with many of these apps is good integration with eg Strava or TP but totally poor integration with Apple Health why not both? WorkOutDoors does both Strava and Health very well but if you want multiple apps and good integration then let HealthFit do all the integration for you. (TBH another must have app, especially if you get Strava duplicates in Apple Health all the time) Never understood why app publishers spend time on dealing with Strava’s API then do a half arsed job of HealthKit.

bob_summers

Haven’t tried the Workoutdoors app but it does look like exactly what I was after, thanks for the reccs.

Having paid subs to both OS and IGN (Spain) it’d be nice to be able to use their mapping rather than OSM, although relatively poinless on sich a tiny screen I guess.

simon_g

Strava app works for me but then I don’t really need much, just how far and how long.

If you prefer the native workouts app, RunGap lets you sync it to Strava, Garmin Connect and all sorts of other services.

Kuco

I just use the Strava app. It does what I want it to do.

jam-bo

I use the Apple workout app and HealthFit to deal with all the syncing stuff to Strava. Simple and reliable.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Runners – apple watch’ is closed to new replies.