• This topic has 33 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by hora.
Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Runners… A question of the bowel kind…
  • daftvader
    Free Member

Evening…
    Apologies for the tone of the question… Why , after 2 miles, do I get the overwhelming desire to crap? It doesn’t seem to matter if I have been for a good clear out beforehand. 2 miles in and I start to feel the urge, 3 miles and I have to get to a loo or I’ll explode ( had to make like a bear on one off road run). Anyone else get this? Any way to avoid it?
    Cheers

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

So you’re getting the runs on your runs?

If you’re a new runner, it should pass shortly.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Proving the adage that there is no such things as a constipated runner

Sorry no advice other than have a good clear out beforehand

nickc

bouncy bouncy goes your small intestine…

also, eat better.

bencooper
    Free Member

It’s evolutionary – your body is trying to lighten the load so you can run faster to get away from a sabre-tooth tiger.

daftvader
    Free Member

Not getting the runs, just need to go and go I do! It’s never happens before, but then I’ve been out of running for 3-4 years due to injury

daftvader
    Free Member

Lol at bencooper! 😀
    Nickc… I eat very well, and balanced diet, just too much that’s why I need to run! (And cut down on what I eat)

woffle
    Free Member

not unusual apparently – something to do with decreased blood flow to intestines / movement of organs?

daftvader
    Free Member

I know walking helps bowel transit, so I guess running makes it faster….

hora
    Free Member

I helped a runner in a bad way clear out his bowels. It was epic. Truly so.

franksinatra

I used to get this when I ran a lot, but over time my body seemed to prepare better. As soon as I got my trainers out of the cupboard my body would go into evacuation mode

onandon
    Free Member

Pop on a pair of bib shorts pre run. They make me clear out like nothing else.
    I have to put mine on 45 mins pre ride so I can get the inevitable poop out before I set off.

Once you’ve pooped you can get changed and start the run.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Pics or it’s not true

footflaps

Yep, taken impromptu dumps in several random front gardens / bushes in parks around Cambridge whilst caught short running at night….

MoreCashThanDash

I may regret this, but how exactly did you “help”?

nickc

just too much

there you go…

leffeboy

yep, it’s a good reason to not carry sticky drinks when running in case you need it for cleaning purposes 🙂

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Our local park is pretty bad during the run up to local marathons / half marathons due to the huge number of runners who think it’s ok to dump behind the bushes and leave it – apparently they can remember to bring toilet paper with them but not a bag to chuck it in the bin with.

What’s worse is when you realise a runner has dumped behind a bush because your dog appears wagging its tail with a visible mix of toilet paper and human poo smeared all over its beard.

svladcjelli
    Free Member

Like Ol’ Blue Eyes, I used to have this when I started running. Could only go a mile before having to have a pit stop. But that passed and it’s no longer an issue.

Now, irrespective of the time or distance I run, as soon as I stop I urgently need to pee. There’s something to look forward to.

daftvader
    Free Member

So long as it stops! Thanks for the replies.

daftvader
    Free Member

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem. Taken some emergency detours to seek relief and even started running with a small pack of tissues just in case.
    Found that a lot of the problem was down to my preparation prior to going for a run such as drinking too much water and then the same whilst running from the bottle. This sloshing around in your guts with the added bouncing about and it was speeding up the digestion. The second part was worrying so I was literally crapping myself that I might crap myself whilst running. Also some gentle running as part of my warm up and then visiting the bathroom prior to starting the actual run.

daftvader
    Free Member

That’s some good advice Craig, cheers

ThePilot
    Free Member

I’m so glad it’s not just me!
    I solved it by giving up running. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

hora – Member

This story needs to be told!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Did you work it out with a pencil?

evh22
    Free Member

I don’t think this is something that goes away with more running (i have many running mates who have been caught out in all sorts of places). There’s lots of advice from runners on the internet but a few things: low residue food before hand (e.g. white bread not brown, fibre is bad), no energy gels, plan route with toilets and try loperamide (can get it from supermarket). Now loperamide is a bit like that bit in Alice in Wonderland with cakes where a quick nibble might make you hugely bigger or hugely smaller. One tablet might sort you out completely for a month, but some people need 3 or 4 or more to make it through a long race. You have to ahum.. suck it and see.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

You just need to make sure you properly evacuate before you go.

I think it is a slightly new to running thing, however as has been said above, I only have to get my running shorts out of the draw and evacuation occurs.

Try not to eat for a good hour before too (in any large quantity)

The other thing I have learned though is that if you need to go, just go. Trying to run and hold in just doesn’t work, and can lead to a mad panic looking for some where to dump at the point where there is absolutely no where about.

turboferret

The technical term is apparently being got by The Gingerbread Man. I had it quite frequently when I started running while living in India a few years ago, however al-fresco constitutionals are de-rigueur over there so it helped me blend-in culturally 😀

I managed to train my guts to evacuate a few minutes after waking up, so it’s never a problem for runs in the morning. I have had a couple of incidents relatively recently when running home from work where I’ve had to go in search of some tree/undergrowth cover 😳

Cheers, Rich

jp-t853

I used to do a lot of fell running when I was younger and living in Keswick and this used to happen to a few very seasoned runners, usually at the 10 mile point. They used to carry a few sheets of loo roll. We always thought it was the ‘fight or flight mode’ kicking in but as said above aim to clear out before you leave the house.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

As soon as I got my trainers out of the cupboard my body would go into evacuation mode

I can only imagine the mess if you pass a sports shop in town 😯

surfer
    Free Member

Its a good laxative. Normally start each day with a coffee anyway but if it s proper run (as oppose to a easy jog ahead of a race later in the day) then I have to go to the loo. Sometimes long hard runs >15 miles I have to go again but its rare.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ve left all manner of poos about the place while running in different parts of the world over the years. They freeze pretty quickly in the Arctic at -25c, this much I know.

Not sure what the solution is, other than to have a good purge beforehand. Perhaps cutting down on fibre might help too.

Not quite sure how I lived down returning from the run I went on once during school lunch break – with a warm brown bag swinging inside my shorts… 😆

STW loves a good poo thread.

hora
    Free Member

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Runners… A question of the bowel kind…’ is closed to new replies.